MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Event Etiquette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you wait until the actual "start time" to go hunt at event caches?
I start as early as I can.
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
I start a little early but not enough to get too much of an advantage.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I start whenever the majority seems to start.
90%
 90%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 31

spatten26
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Event Etiquette Reply with quote

We hosted an event recently, and there was an "official start time" for the hunting. One participant left about 45 minutes early, and claimed a number of FTF's (which also meant receiving extra tickets for door prizes), then bragged about it later. I understand that having an actual start time for the hunt is a bit "on your honor," and being used to a smaller/ rural area I'm used to playing by the rules. But is this a common thing? It wouldn't have been such a big deal, but then the cacher bragged about it at the closing get together and in their logs.

Is this normal? If it's happened at an event you've attended, how have you seen it handled?

This isn't a rant, and specifics aren't being used. Just wanted to start some constructive conversation to get some ideas on whether to try to discourage this in the future, and how to deal with it if we host another event.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't reward FTFs.

Everyone attending the Event claims FTF. It allows leisure finds, instead of encouraging the destruction of GZ.

Just my 2
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the most diplomatic way to handle it would be not to have door prizes based on FTF on the caches and declare, as CO, that everyone who finds a new permanent cache during the event is a co-FTF with everyone else who finds the cache that day. Also have the start time to go hunting the same as the start time for the event. There are some people that might have other plans, but they want to find a few caches and can't wait until the official start time, if for example you have a meet and greet from 10-11, and then cache hunting from 11-3.

The last event I went to, I believe the permanent caches were submitted the night before, and in most cases, were published on gc.com as we were on the trail (at least that's when I got the notifications) looking for them.

When I'm at an event, I usually wait until there's a group that wants to head down-range and tag along with them - in quite a few cases, though, I'm fashionably late and there's already people out looking for caches when I get there.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Don't reward FTFs.

Everyone attending the Event claims FTF. It allows leisure finds, instead of encouraging the destruction of GZ.

Just my 2

I'd say don't reward OR award FTFs. I would've had all of the caches published ahead of time and be done with it.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I'd say don't reward OR award FTFs. I would've had all of the caches published ahead of time and be done with it.

+1
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
Don't reward FTFs.

Just my 2

Same here...
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking was that these were Temp Caches, so the FTF was on the Temp...but my answer is the same as most other people....put the temps out, and what we've done in the past is put a paper stamp (punches a hole in a sheet of paper) in the various caches..then we give each participant a log book with spaces for each of the various caches, that they then need to punch...when they are done, we give raffle tickets based on the punched caches...since each punch is different, it reduces cheating, and it won't matter who starts first or ends first or last or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

+1

Another thing I've seen is use the FTF's as door prizes...
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about early finds on the day of the event. Days prior is a different story.

I don't award FTF extras. Anyone finding the cache is awarded a chance at the DP. One per cache per cacher find. Doesn't matter first, second or last on the day of the event. They just get a chance.
On the day of the event they get a score card to write their answers. If they visited earlier, they should not be able to figure the answer.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

+1

Another thing I've seen is use the FTF's as door prizes...

that's silliness. Shocked
Team Dennis
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been to two events where there were FTF chances out there. Both times I stayed at the event site for quite a while after the "start" time. Eventually we made our way out to the woods where we happened to get a few FTFs. Maybe it's just me but I enjoyed chatting with other cachers much more than going out hounding for FTFs.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, and this is just me, if "new" permanent caches are going to be available at/near an event I wish they would be published 24-48 hours prior to the event. That way I can either run a PQ or send all the caches from my PC to the GPS beforehand. I am not a fan of having to hope someone else's laptop will send the caches to my GPS or stand there and enter them in by hand. But then again I don't give a hoot about FTF either... I'd rather read for additional clues in people's logs and find it that much faster.
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Personally, and this is just me, if "new" permanent caches are going to be available at/near an event I wish they would be published 24-48 hours prior to the event. That way I can either run a PQ or send all the caches from my PC to the GPS beforehand. I am not a fan of having to hope someone else's laptop will send the caches to my GPS or stand there and enter them in by hand. But then again I don't give a hoot about FTF either... I'd rather read for additional clues in people's logs and find it that much faster.

I have used the additonal waypoints feature as a way to get the coords into someone's hands/GPS if the cache may be published later...seems to work well.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally on Event Etiquette -

Didn't the logging of temp caches on the event page fall out of favor?
whaleboat+jojo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was our first event and we enjoyed it. While we waited in line for the coordinates I wondered if early arrivals were running out to get a butt-load of FTF's. Maybe confusion because the event was called a "cache dash"?

Suggestion #1: Give everybody or nobody an FTF for the event. Channel a few FTF's for the newcomers to boost their "geo ego".

Suggestion #2: Give raffle tickets on a per person basis +1 more for a completed survey or event task. Don't give raffle tickets based on # of FTFs for the event.

Suggestion #3. Good job, Steve and Amy. Do another one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: