MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firearms Deer Season!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was caching the Sand Dunes State Forest yesterday. Ran into a muggle who stopped by my truck to see what I was up to. He warned me about the bear hunting going on there and asked that I stay away from certain areas so that I don't scare the bears away. Yeah right, like I want to run into a bear out in those woods!

I only saw 2 or 3 people all day in that park, though...and I don't think they were hunting anything.
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good idea is to keep your eyes open for hunters.
If you see what looks like a Deer hunter (Archery opens Sept. 14th)
Walk away. Or a bear hunter, it is unlawful to interfere with a hunter.
Or to interfere with their hunt. Go away, they might get pissed off enough
to report you. Most likely won't happen but I have had many walk by
my stands over the years and screw up my hunt.
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
Figured I would post a quick note on this thread...

Seeing notes on some of my cache logs up in the State Forests that cachers are meeting and talking with Bear Hunters...

Bear Hunting opened last weekend (9/1) and runs through 10/13..

Guess fall really is headed our way. Might be a good idea to start tossing the orange back in your cache mobiles when you head to the woods... and then PUT IT ON when you get out on the trails.

Thanks for the reminder, jrest! I was thinking of heading off to some State Forest or other tomorrow. Time to go locate the blaze orange gear.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between hassling a hunter, and just being in the woods. You have just as much right to be in the woods as they do.
That being said, years ago, spring turkey season was only in the mornings. I am a mushroom hunter, and spend a lot of time in the woods in the spring. In respect for the turkey hunters, I would wait til noon. Now the season is sunup to sundown. If I want to hunt mushrooms, I do. As I said before, I have just as much right to be in the woods as they do. For every deer, bear or turkey you might scare away from them, you might scare just as many their way.
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be true, but it is easier for the walker to move than for the
person who is in stand to move. It is also easier to show evidence
as to possible interference than to show evidence as to just passing by.
The law gives weight to the hunter. This was made due to the anti hunters
declaring open season on hunters and fishers. It kind of follows the yield
law regarding boats. Those with motors must stay away from and yield
to those that don't. Granted that you are not required to stay away from hunters, but why cause trouble. with cell phones all over they can get a game warden there before you can get out. I had target shooters
who set up to target shoot where not allowed, with me in the backdrop
up a tree. Arrested at the parking area before I could get out of the tree.

Share the woods and be respectful out there.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another reason I have bells on my packs. So the hunters can hear me coming, and not mistake me for a deer or other prey.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which reminds me of this sign:

A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know why the rules were set in place. I am a hunter myself. Over the years I have been a member of many wildlife organizations, PF, DU, MTF, MDHA to name a few. I also know it is easier for a walker to move than it is for a hunter. However, the geacacher is also a hunter, just hunting for something different.
Suppose I pulled into a parking lot of a 600 acre state forest. There was already a car there. Does that mean I can't hunt there? How much land around your stand do you consider "yours"? 50 feet? 1 acre? 40 acres?
There is a BIG difference between another "hunter" walking by your stand, and someone from PETA walking back and forth, making noise, etc.
Your statement about the target shooters doesn't even fit in this conversation, that activity is clearly against the law.

Share the woods, it's there for all of us.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we all just get along Wink
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Can't we all just get along Wink

Obviously not. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Very Happy
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's helpful for me to at least get a hunter's perspective since I don't hunt and would totally bumble through the woods (wow kids look! a tree house!!) not realizing I was ruining someone's day.

It's similar to the XC skiier thread. I like to get the perspective of what drives others crazy and be considerate while still also enjoying MY recreation in the park.

I also really do appreciate the hunting alerts since I'm not tracking the seasons and it's a good reminder to not get shot. Though I'm generally in recreational metro park systems anyway it's still nice to know.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's helpful for me to at least get a hunter's perspective since I don't hunt and would totally bumble through the woods (wow kids look! a tree house!!) not realizing I was ruining someone's day.

It's similar to the XC skiier thread. I like to get the perspective of what drives others crazy and be considerate while still also enjoying MY recreation in the park.

I also really do appreciate the hunting alerts since I'm not tracking the seasons and it's a good reminder to not get shot. Though I'm generally in recreational metro park systems anyway it's still nice to know.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would suggest is that if you are in an area with a known hunt taking place, I would disable the cache for the period of hunting and then re-enable it when the event is complete.

Last year, we were trying for a cache while bow hunting was occurring in the area. I sent a message off to the CO about it, and he temp disabled it for the three weeks while hunting was going on in the park with a note about what was happening and then re-enabled it. I had to do that in the past with one of my caches in Burnsville.

I would also encourage people who have caches in active hunting areas to use the "hunting" attribute on their caches as well.

Also, as I pointed out in my post, hunting isn't limited to outside the Metro area. I have had to disable one of my Burnsville caches because of hunting events periodically scheduled in that park.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest - we have found the hunting attribute to be lacking.

We wanted to some caches in WI with that attribute on clearly marked public hunting land. The research on the WI DNR website pretty much made it seem like some type of season was open at all times. So we had no idea if the land was used for whatever animal was in season or if we should have any concerns. We ended up using the approach of as long as we are the only car in the parking area we assume we are okay. I guess the attribute made us more aware but not much else.
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment about the target shooters was meant to show the speed with which the cops can be brought in. At the end I also said lets all share the woods. But when it comes to hunting season, the non hunting people
out in the area with hunters are the problem. They can do much to
not be a problem though. Like some others have said here, make yourselves known. But all that noise can be thought of as noise to drive off the game that the hunter seeks. Do you see a car or cars with hunting
equipment at the parking lots. Assume that hunters are in the woods.
Then think is it a good idea to go after that geocache? A hunter encountering another hunter is one thing, and he don't really care but a hunter encountering somebody out for a stroll!
Remember that they are hunting and some are just plain stupid and shoot at movement. Put on the orange hat and coat if you go out, and keep your eyes open. A bullet just might wiz past your ear. Before cell phones one wizzed past my right ear then my left ear. I told that @#$% that I was going to put an arrow his way(another stinking target shooter) and he got in his car and left very very fast.
Remember that you might think that you have a right to be in the woods.
But while out there you have a responsibility to others out there also.
The parks that have hunts in them close down access to non hunters.
Due to the danger and the attitude that non hunters have a right to be there. When they do close access any non hunter can be arrested.
This is how serious the situation is. So go with caution and maybe a lic. and shot gun to hunt both geocache and game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: