MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you do this???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
commander & chief
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Would you do this??? Reply with quote

Some of you know that we do quite a bit of Caching back in my home state of Wisconsin. In such, I happened to come across a particular Cache page owned by a very famous or should I say in some circles Infamous Cacher that I have to take a certain amount of disagreement with. That said, I pose the following questions, The first is addressed to MN.Fruitcake: Would you have a problem even approving a Cache with this description? The second is to my fellow Cachers: Would you do this??? I have to admit that the blatant disregard for rules regarding Cache Maintenance kind of ticks me off (to say the least!). Please take a look at the following Cache. Also please note the great log by MadMuggler on 10/17 where they actually risk insulting the CO's for the many times they have been known to log finds on their own Caches?? I'm happy to say that I don't think we have this type of thing happening here and trust me, this is not common in my home state either. I'm not a huge poster so please forgive my rant on this one! C&C.
The Cache: http://coord.info/GC35XEH
(You will need to log on as this is a Member Only Cache.)
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current topic on National Forums too...

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=283839
Captain and Mate
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion. Also, I now know what GCRM stands for and that the cache description in question was taken word for word from that website. My idea of cache rescue was that the remains of an abandoned cache get cleaned out so as not to interfere with a new hide. This certainly takes the concept to a whole different level that flies in the face of the rules, as Commander & Chief correctly pointed out. We have no problem helping a CO out with a new log, baggie, or even a container if we have one, but when a CO has a large number of caches that all contain the same "maintain my cache for me" description, I'd have to draw the line. The CO in question should know better.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to keep all hides in good order all by oneself. I personally appreciate notes that say cache needs some maintenance. I add them to the list and try my best to get them back in order.
Many cachers like myself carry extra log sheets and containers and often will voluntarily replace them as needed.
Again this is much appreciated.

For a CO to add it as a part of the description - I don't, I guess it's Ok Confused

I like acronyms too GILAP
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen descriptions like that on power trail caches but never on single cache by itself.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would even bother looking for a cache like that. I certainly wouldn't do any maintenance on it. If you have so many caches that you can't maintain them yourself you should start archiving caches so that someone who has the time can put a cache there.
commander & chief
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal oppinion is of course personal, but I think that if Cachers are hiding so many Caches that they can't maintain them, then they need to think of archiving some. There are plenty of new Cachers out there that will now help to fill in the gaps that used to exist when the numbers of Cachers weren't as they are now. Even KB will make the occasional road trip to perform maintenance on his. I still agree that helping out a CO by replacing a log or helping to better seal a Cache is great, but it is still the CO's responsiblity to maintain their own Caches. To post a new Cache where you actually excuse yourself from this responsibility is wrong and should not get approved.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

commander & chief wrote:
My personal oppinion is of course personal, but I think that if Cachers are hiding so many Caches that they can't maintain them, then they need to think of archiving some. There are plenty of new Cachers out there that will now help to fill in the gaps that used to exist when the numbers of Cachers weren't as they are now. Even KB will make the occasional road trip to perform maintenance on his. I still agree that helping out a CO by replacing a log or helping to better seal a Cache is great, but it is still the CO's responsiblity to maintain their own Caches. To post a new Cache where you actually excuse yourself from this responsibility is wrong and should not get approved.

Not sure how I feel about it, but if you feel really strongly, you could post a "needs archived" note on all caches containing that in the description to see what happens. You'd certainly be within your rights to post a "needs archived" note on any of those caches that have in fact gone missing.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
commander & chief wrote:

Not sure how I feel about it, but if you feel really strongly, you could post a "needs archived" note on all caches containing that in the description to see what happens. You'd certainly be within your rights to post a "needs archived" note on any of those caches that have in fact gone missing.

Maybe within his rights, but crosses the bounds of the "mind your own business" factor. Some caches need a NA log. While lacking in tact, I disagree that these caches qualify for a NA.
Heres_Waldo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.. Not a fan of the "please feel free to do my maintenance for me" ...

I left an archive note on a cache in the Fergus Falls area. I know for a fact that the cache owner lives in town. It was well on its way to getting archived until someone replaced it. The CO left a note of thanks, so I know they were receiving the needs maintenance notifications.

I'm not above replacing a cache, but when I know the CO lives no more than six miles from it and is not responding to the maintenance notes, I leave an archive note.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so hate the needs archive log, I prefer needs reviewer attention I keep hoping they'd change it.
Back on topic, I think posting the n/a log is taking it too far as there is nothing wrong with the cache currently except for the offending log and that is up to the finder to replace/fix or not you can just ignore it and move on.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my opinion on this would be:

I think that as you hiding the cache it's your responsibility to do maintainance on that cache. Here is groundspeak's quote:

Quote:
Before a geocache is published on the website, a volunteer reviewer will look at the page for compliance with these guidelines. The physical geocache site is not verified. As the geocache owner, you retain all responsibility for your geocache listings and you are responsible for the placement and care of your geocache.

I think as an owner I would NOT do this. I do not think it's right to tell others to do your duty. I think it is your responsibility to maintain your own cache.

I don't like to "please do my maintainance for me" aspect.

Any takes anyone?
Brooklyn51
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had the opposite happen. A cacher removed all the camo tape from one of ours becasue they couldn't untwist the top (others didn't seem to have a problem.) Here's the log:

"Found this with XXXX who is a brand new cacher. This was her first one...
However, unfortunately, neither one of us could find a way to open this mini.
Took off the camo tape, hoping to make it easier, but to no avail. Thus we could
not sign the log book. The cache owner might want to check this out..."

We wrote and asked if they had replaced the camo tape. They responded that they had not.

Good grief! They created a need for maintenance. Would it be fair to include a statement on the cachepage about not messing with someone's cache? They logged it as a find regardless of whether they could open it or not so they got the smiley either way!
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn51 wrote:
We just had the opposite happen. A cacher removed all the camo tape from one of ours becasue they couldn't untwist the top (others didn't seem to have a problem.) Here's the log:

"Found this with XXXX who is a brand new cacher. This was her first one...
However, unfortunately, neither one of us could find a way to open this mini.
Took off the camo tape, hoping to make it easier, but to no avail. Thus we could
not sign the log book. The cache owner might want to check this out..."

We wrote and asked if they had replaced the camo tape. They responded that they had not.

Good grief! They created a need for maintenance. Would it be fair to include a statement on the cachepage about not messing with someone's cache? They logged it as a find regardless of whether they could open it or not so they got the smiley either way!

I'd delete their log Laughing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: