MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bowhunting opener, 9-17-11
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever come across a hunter in the woods while geocaching?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 27 ]
No
44%
 44%  [ 22 ]
not sure, I may have
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 50

3humphs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Bowhunting opener, 9-17-11 Reply with quote

I am sure it has been mentioned in the past. But it bears repeating every year. Saturday September 17th until the end of the year, is the bow hunting season. Be aware that you may not be the only one in the woods.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse thing about bow hunters is that they are not required to wear orange. They may be there and you may never know.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not know it, but they know you are there. In most instances a bow hunter will not care if you are walking in the woods.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=a92dc3f3-06c0-41cd-b0a5-beb7367f29d3
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a hunter, so I don't know all the rules about hunting...I took my family out two years ago, we went into the woods near our house (here in the cities) and just as we were getting close to GZ we saw a hunter in a tree...I was surprised, I didn't think they could hunt in the metro area, but I guess the city had opened up this specific wooded area, because when we left we saw they had a permit on their car. I kind of wish that if a city were to open a park (term used loosely, it was just a wooded area) to hunting, that they put up a sign at the entrance to the park, to warn people not to enter because a hunt is going on.

For the next month or so, I'll be sticking to the playground type parks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I will be either wearing orange or avoiding wooded caches for a while.
sapalas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its up to individual cities on what areas they open up to hunting but I know that around the SW metro there are a lot of bow hunting areas. Being a bow hunter, I am MUCH less afraid of a bow hunters since our effective range for taking a deer is less than ~40 yards. And we have to really line up our shots, there really aren't "blind" shots like you hear about during Rifle/Muzzleloader season.

That being said still take caution when entering the woods, especially this weekend since this will be the busiest weekend for hunters to get out there. Accidents do happen. By talking, whistling, or any other kind of human made noise you will be broadcasting your location to any hunters, and wont be thought that a deer is about to come through.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read MN-treker's post if you have read this post before I edited it here.

Last edited by sigilwig44 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'm not a hunter, so I don't know all the rules about hunting...I took my family out two years ago, we went into the woods near our house (here in the cities) and just as we were getting close to GZ we saw a hunter in a tree...I was surprised, I didn't think they could hunt in the metro area, but I guess the city had opened up this specific wooded area, because when we left we saw they had a permit on their car. I kind of wish that if a city were to open a park (term used loosely, it was just a wooded area) to hunting, that they put up a sign at the entrance to the park, to warn people not to enter because a hunt is going on.

For the next month or so, I'll be sticking to the playground type parks.

Yep, they shoot guns in the metro Shocked . Don't go after this one http://coord.info/GC1AYPG in November like I did. I spotted decoys in a pond and saw no hunters. Then I hear shot guns blasting near by. On the way back I saw a hunter walking down the road with a gun over his shoulder.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no hunting at State Parks, unless they have a special hunt. If they do, it'll be listed somewhere on the DNR website - I just did a search and couldn't this year's hunt schedule in three clicks or less. Some parks that have special hunts have them listed on their cache page, but I wouldn't rely on that - last year, Wm. Obrien had December 6-7 listed on the cache page, and I drove up there on November 6 only to find they had the wrong month on the cache page.
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

I've been on several park deer hunts in Anoka, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey and Scott counties and they were all posted at every entry point. Consider the sign to have been either muggled or DNF'd. They all at a minimum notified patrons of the hunt.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple years ago, in Bemidji - we went to find a Geocache which was behind the high school. As we were signing the log, we looked up and saw a bow hunter all camoflauged up in a tree REALLY close to us. I jumped, and was glad the kids had blaze orange caps on. I thought we were safe, since we were between residential homes and school property. We were with family and walked to the geocache from her house.. she wasn't sure if he were supposed to even be there.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never, nor would I ever recommend anyone to walk in the woods during long gun season without at least some orange, preferrably your upper half.
During the bow season, statistically, you have a better chance of getting hit by a truck, than with an arrow. Remember, it is not only bow hunters. Grouse, woodcock, squirrels, ducks, pheasants. All except bow hunters are required to wear at least some orange, not a bad idea for you to also, but it is no reason to stay out of the woods
There is some hunting going on from Sept 1 to Jan 31, then again in April- May
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
Hunters can be dangerous

Hunters go through safety courses, geocachers do not. Hunters are accountable for unsafe actions by the threat of losing their hunting privileges, geocachers are not. Wear orange, be aware of where hunters may be.
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
I've never run across a hunter while caching before but itlooks like many of you have. They may not realize you're a human so watch out. Wearing bright colors is the best way to stand out. Another way to let them know you're a human is to bring an Air Horn along. If they shoot you can just blast the horn and you'll most likely be fine. You most likely be fine anyway but remember to be cautious. Hunters can be dangerous so wear bright colors, bring an Air Horn, or just stay home. I'm not sure if I'll avoid the woods this weekend or not. Last year a state park didn't let me go caching this time o year 'cause of a deer hunt. Just always be safe.

This whole comment bothers me in so many ways. shows alot of ignorance, one sure way of getting an area closed during BOW hunting is to carry an airhorn with you. Bowhunting is generaly done at distances of not more than 100 feet but mostly in the 50 or closer range and you just don't randomly shoot at anything that moves.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: