MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnetonka Police - hip to caching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Minnetonka Police - hip to caching? Reply with quote

Dyl1231's Bamboozled cache got busted by the Minnetonka Police today. Apparently, they inspected the cache and left it in place.

For the record, this cache almost qualifies as a Maximum Exposure cache, except that its not a micro but a regular size cache.

I've instructed Dyl to make sure he puts in one of the geocaching notices, which he will do this evening.

But other than that, should I do anything else?

-Rick

P.S. Dyl1231 is my 10 year old son, who is now placing caches on his own. I think he's now saturated his alllowed "solo" bicycle travel radius with caches.

Last edited by rickrich on Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading the logs...it looks like the Police got a tip after the "easter egg" hunt.... is strange they didn't sign log book or "take it".
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does bring up a question I had been wondering. How many police departments have been informed of geocaching?

And if so, how many approve/dissapprove of it?

I guess it would be nice for law enforcement to know, so if they see you out in a park digging around, and decide to approach you, if you told them you were geocaching, they would at least know what you're talking about..
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Minnetonka Police - hip to caching? Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:

But other than that, should I do anything else?

How did you find out the police found it?
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just returning to my car after finding Nectar of the Gods
in Osceola, WI. When the Osceola Police officer pulled up-I had the gpsr hanging around my neck and a digital camera strapped to my vest, so maybe I was a dead giveaway as a cacher?

He asked how the hike was, and if I found the "treasure" at the end of the trail. I said I had, and told him how much I enjoyed the hike & scenery.
He then asked If I had been down to the falls to find that one (nextdoor to nectar is 105 step) since all the reconstruction. I told him I had already been down there, (was skunded) and was impressed with all the new work being done. He was very freindly, and seemed to be promoting Osceola and its parks to me more than anything else - He even asked If I golfed, and recommeded the golf course nearby - Crooked Creek.

He did seem to know the caches were in these 2 parks, tho- I dont know if the hider of these caches made contact with them, or if they had other ways of learning of the caches- but they definately didnt seem to mind.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the National threads .....they claim many police officers geocache and even use our caches as training on how to use a gps.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do anything else other than maybe a friendly chat with the chief.

One of my caches is a max' exp' type and the container could be accused of looking like an explosive devise. I took photo's of the cache, where it is located, and the FAQ's page Geo....com, and showed them to the local cops and left them with them. Of course I'm small town and I'm friends with half the local cops. They laughed a lot, but they were glad that I had showed them after I explained about the Como Park bomb scare cache.

So, when in doubt, give them a heads up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up here in Hibbing a cache was taken last fall and turned into the police office by a hiker. The office found a business card in the cache that happened to belong to the owner and called them. The owner picked the cache up and replaced it back at its spot. So I guess the police approve if they went to the trouble to track down the owner and return the ammo box with all the goodies inside. Laughing
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up having Dylan pull the "Bamboozled" physical cache after one of the neighbors (adult handwriting) left this message in red ink in the cache logbook:

THIS IS GEEKY! PLEASE REMOVE THIS FROM OUR NEIGHBORHOOD!

This cache will most likely be turned into a virtual cache, and visitors will get to explore the full extent and amenities of this little park. But without the geeky peanut butter jar and logbook.

Dylan says thanks to all of the geeks that visited this cache.

-Rick
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please inform Dyl123 that, I for one am proud to be a geek and I'm sorry I missed the cache.

Onward, "For the geeks shall inherit the earth." Quote for a famous book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to help Dyl123 come up with a well camo'd micro for this spot!
I also know his dad has some great micro's already to go!!!!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doesn't sound like size or camo is the issue. Someone doesn't like non-neighbors visiting THEIR park.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya but if you change the size...that means the muggle is going to have to find it....
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Chisago Lakes Police.... Reply with quote

Being that one of my caches is visiable from the windows of the police office, after reading the notes in this topic, we decided to notify the police of our cache. Good thing we did. At this moment they have no problem with it- after we explained geocaching- BUT- there is an ordinance being written to EXCLUDE SEARCHING THE CITY PARKS WITH ELECTRONIC DEVICES-because of people using metal detectors are digging up the beaches and lawns when they get a beep- SO they have to read the ordinance, and if they deem GPS's as ELECTRONIC DEVICES(yah, right), then I will have to pull my 2 caches from the parks. By the laws of geocaching, you are supposed to get permission- so maybe in this day and age of suspicious activities being reported, it might be a good idea to notify the local police as well. At least they will be aware.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chisago Lakes Police.... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
BUT- there is an ordinance being written to EXCLUDE SEARCHING THE CITY PARKS WITH ELECTRONIC DEVICES-because of people using metal detectors are digging up the beaches and lawns when they get a beep

Seems to me like the ordinace should just disallow digging in the parks.

"No, we tried that, but then the kids couldn't build sand castles. So we banned electronic devices for searching the parks".

Sheesh. Politicians.

Me? I'm bringing a dowsing stick. Then I'll dig my legal hole.

-Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: