MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache-O-Mania - 20,000 caches in MN by Year End 2011!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I don't disagree with you. My point was simply that quantity, alone, is nothing to be proud of.

It can be for some and there's NOTHING wrong with that. I am proud of my own well rounded stats.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres_Waldo wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
Cache-O-Mania for sure though! That's something to be proud of!

I don't know. I'd be more proud of 10,000 well thought-out caches in nice parks as opposed to 20,000 caches in bus shelters and parking lots.

Ditto. I'm not going to lie: I've only been caching for just over a month and I'm already sick of bird houses and parking lot light posts. What's the sport in that when I know where it is before I get out of the car?

You should really check out the Fire Hydrant Series in Hudson. You'll LOVE it! Very Happy Very Happy The caches are so creatively placed. Sometimes they are on the north side of the hydrant, others on the south, east, or west. You just never know what you're going to get. Why, I remember one that was on the northwest edge of the hydrant. That one took me forever.

Joking aside, I do think we've seen a lot more Power Trails in the state over the past year, which without a doubt is a quantity over quality emphasis. The good thing about most of them, however, is that they tend to take up roadside real estate that in most cases wouldn't be used for better quality caches.
Heres_Waldo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I don't disagree with you. My point was simply that quantity, alone, is nothing to be proud of.

I agree. I too think that 10000 well planned out caches is better than 20000 quick ones. I agree that most caches I find are in 2 seconds. 10000 is STILL a number to be proud of. And 10000 cool challenging caches is even better.

I do disagree at the same time though. I think that all the beginners need easy caches too. I mean I was pumped when I found my first cache (in a stump) and back then that was pretty tricky.

So I think we need a nice balance and plus people with 10,000 finds wouldn't have as many. I think that it should me a 1/4 easy to 3/4 a little more fun hides. That would be very fun.

Austin has a nice balance and I enjoy finding both types.

Enjoy all the fun everyone!

This is kind of what I was driving at (sorry if it came out a different way). By no means am I trying to say get rid of all lamp post caches, they serve their purpose. Especially those that are intended to be family friendly. I just wish that those who put out a lamp post cache would put a cool back story with it, or use a really cool container, etc... Just find a way to make it unique! Otherwise, I fail to see what the point is...

Just my personal preference. Feel free to disagree at your leisure.
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres_Waldo wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I agree. I too think that 10000 well planned out caches is better than 20000 quick ones. I agree that most caches I find are in 2 seconds. 10000 is STILL a number to be proud of. And 10000 cool challenging caches is even better.

I do disagree at the same time though. I think that all the beginners need easy caches too. I mean I was pumped when I found my first cache (in a stump) and back then that was pretty tricky.

So I think we need a nice balance and plus people with 10,000 finds wouldn't have as many. I think that it should me a 1/4 easy to 3/4 a little more fun hides. That would be very fun.

Austin has a nice balance and I enjoy finding both types.

Enjoy all the fun everyone!

This is kind of what I was driving at (sorry if it came out a different way). By no means am I trying to say get rid of all lamp post caches, they serve their purpose. Especially those that are intended to be family friendly. I just wish that those who put out a lamp post cache would put a cool back story with it, or use a really cool container, etc... Just find a way to make it unique! Otherwise, I fail to see what the point is...

Well, not to kick the wasps nest here or anything like that Laughing but how about some good old fashion sign post hides Cool I think that if you like to have some sort of a "Cool Back Story" you should seriously consider doing a lot of puzzles in Golden Valley. You get a huge amount of satisfaction out of solving the puzzle, some very difficult puzzles and an easy hide! Well that was until recently when spstanley kinda threw the easy hide part out the window Laughing Just a consideration...
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres_Waldo wrote:

Then you'd want to look for the MN LPC Series caches which require the cache to be unique, interesting, funny, silly, or in some way exciting and can't be matchstick containers, 35m film cannisters, altoids tins, etc. Still taking new additions to the series too!!!
Heres_Waldo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Heres_Waldo wrote:

Then you'd want to look for the MN LPC Series caches which require the cache to be unique, interesting, funny, silly, or in some way exciting and can't be matchstick containers, 35m film cannisters, altoids tins, etc. Still taking new additions to the series too!!!

I'll check it out! I need to start placing some more hides!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a couple of self promoting posts.. Wink one thing is for sure, coffins and canoe rental shops are NOT found in lamp post skirts or roadside signs. Laughing Laughing Laughing
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Wow, a couple of self promoting posts.. Wink one thing is for sure, coffins and canoe rental shops are NOT found in lamp post skirts or roadside signs. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh please don't think I was self promoting. I don't have any hides in Golden Valley at all. My closest to GV is an Earth Cache. Wink, Wink... Wink A little promo there... I was simply trying to make a point that if they wanted more satisfaction from finding the above mentioned hides that puzzles would be a great option. I think they would either have a blast tackling Puzzle Valley or wind up bald pulling out their hair on some of the puzzles Shocked
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeingitdifferent wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Oh please don't think I was self promoting. I don't have any hides in Golden Valley at all. My closest to GV is an Earth Cache. Wink, Wink... Wink A little promo there... I was simply trying to make a point that if they wanted more satisfaction from finding the above mentioned hides that puzzles would be a great option. I think they would either have a blast tackling Puzzle Valley or wind up bald pulling out their hair on some of the puzzles Shocked

Come on.. I was just having fun.
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeingitdifferent wrote:
think that if you like to have some sort of a "Cool Back Story" you should seriously consider doing a lot of puzzles in Golden Valley. You get a huge amount of satisfaction out of solving the puzzle, some very difficult puzzles and an easy hide!

Where is puzzle valley Embarassed ? I've always been interested in trying one there!
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
seeingitdifferent wrote:
think that if you like to have some sort of a "Cool Back Story" you should seriously consider doing a lot of puzzles in Golden Valley. You get a huge amount of satisfaction out of solving the puzzle, some very difficult puzzles and an easy hide!

Where is puzzle valley Embarassed ? I've always been interested in trying one there!

Golden Valley area. Check out the GC map and you will see.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
seeingitdifferent wrote:

Golden Valley area. Check out the GC map and you will see.

I just hope that during the next FSUNoles puzzle event, every one of those darn GV puzzles has a solution listed. Sad
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I just hope that during the next FSUNoles puzzle event, every one of those darn GV puzzles has a solution listed. Sad

I hope so too!!!
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I hope so too!!!

Just wait for the snow and follow the tracks Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: