MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future Cache logging?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Future Cache logging? Reply with quote

Recently I had to check on one of my caches and decided to do an audit of the log. When I compared the log from the cache to the online log I realized that a couple cachers (not to be named) had signed the log with a date in the future. I assume it is to fill in their grids or keep their streaks going. So here I sit wondering what to do when they actually log it? Any thoughts?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Cache logging? Reply with quote

seeingitdifferent wrote:
Recently I had to check on one of my caches and decided to do an audit of the log. When I compared the log from the cache to the online log I realized that a couple cachers (not to be named) had signed the log with a date in the future. I assume it is to fill in their grids or keep their streaks going. So here I sit wondering what to do when they actually log it? Any thoughts?

Who cares? It's just a game. Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Cache logging? Reply with quote

seeingitdifferent wrote:

Archive all Challenges based on dates.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really make a difference to you. Obviously, the did find it therefore they are not claiming a find when the didn't find it. If they want to play the challenge game that way, do you really care. Other than to maybe lose some respect for those that are playing the game that way.

They know who they are, and they know how they are playing. If they keep it to themselves and never say anything to anyone, only you will be the wiser. If they make a big deal about completing a challenge and you know that they misrepresented themselves, again only you will know unless you post their names or call them out.

Best advice is to play your game the way you want to play it. Let others play it the way they want to play it.

At this point, to be quite honest it not going to impress me that some one completes a challenge. So I don't care, if you do, then call them out. But you shouldn't deny a find as they did find it.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that anyone can play the game any way they want to, so I wouldn't worry about it, and I don't get a sense that you are.

If you're asking me if it's a legitimate way to complete a streak challenge, then I'd say absolutely not. The goal is to find a cache every day for x number of days. Going out on August 1st and logging 31 caches, one for each day of the month, is um, missing the mark there a bit.

If I were feeling uber righteous I might fire off an email to a cache owner of a streak challenge to let them know. They might care about it. I also might post a note after they log their find asking why their name was on the cache log two weeks ago, for today's date, for example. Most likely, though, I'd just space out and forget to do anything.
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda what I was thinking. I view it as a game that should be fun. Thanks
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far in the future did they post-date their logs? If it's just a day or two, it's probably just an honest mistake - I know I've written down 8/12 on the 11th, etc. Otherwise, if it's obviously an attempt to fill in their grid, I would say let them play the game their way, and let the owner of the challenge cache decide if they're legit or not.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cacher who is going for the every day of the year challenge log one of my caches that they had already found. They caught it too and decided to delete the previous log a few days later. I could care less, but I know who you are Wink
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's cheesy. I'm pretty sure there are a couple caches out there that I marked with an incorrect date--the type you get when you log online and realize today is the 20th, not the 21st--but when I've realized I did that I've noted in my online log that fact.

I haven't done any of the new challenges, but is this another issue with them, that it would be possible to keep a streak alive or fill in an empty date with a froggy smooch? Can people earn cheap souvenirs this way too?

rosebud55112
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosebud55112 it was more like weeks in advance. I totally understand if you miss it by a day or two but weeks in advance.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were at all thinking the cache has run it's course and were thinking to archive, you could always pull and archive prior to log date.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
If you were at all thinking the cache has run it's course and were thinking to archive, you could always pull and archive prior to log date.

You can still log archived and disabled caches - at least you could the first and only time I did so, after a bunch of us found an archived but still-in-place cache during an event at Spring Lake Park.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
AerosmithPA wrote:

You can still log archived and disabled caches - at least you could the first and only time I did so, after a bunch of us found an archived but still-in-place cache during an event at Spring Lake Park.

Yes it is possible to log after archival. Those cases are more open to CO scrutinization however. I specified pulling cache and archiving, thus, if I remove and archive a cache on August 1 and someone logs as found on August 15, I can easily delete leaving cacher with no argument than inputting improper date, because the cache was long and gone on August 15. I would consider allowing log if the person agreed to log on proper date.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeingitdifferent wrote:
Rosebud55112 it was more like weeks in advance. I totally understand if you miss it by a day or two but weeks in advance.

Wow. No way would I ever vote them into the Caching Hall of Fame after something like that.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to "lock" caches after they're archived, but I don't think it is usually done unless there's abuse. MN.Fruitcake might be willing and able to do it, if you ask.

(I'm scatterbrained enough that I'm sure I've put down the wrong month and maybe year at least once ) Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: