MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The lonelest cache every found?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: The lonelest cache every found? Reply with quote

I have a cache called Thing Two GC2V07P That is in almost the Exact cords as an old one called Up In The Air GC35AA That was acrchived 4 14 2003 that 15 cachers found by mistake any other stoies like this?
E-Mail I senty to the 15

On 5 6 2011 you found a cache called( Up In The Air GC35AA )It was a very lonly cache Then over 7 years lost you can still log it as a find though but My thing Two is still waiting for you to find This has to be a first in this game at least for me it is to hav ethat old of cache hidden at almost the same GZ for so long and still useable Good Luck Larry the butcher Check my profile to find the cache page as I logged it today
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC35AA

GC2V07P
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting, that the old cache is a 1/1 and the new cache is a 4/5 at the same location.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=cdbf9eef-b792-493d-9556-8bacf33a9477

timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=cdbf9eef-b792-493d-9556-8bacf33a9477

So if you C.I.T.O.'ed this cache back then, how are people still finding it??
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contents were dry and the origanl log was in tack and readable. That is how I found out what cache it was. Looking at the old photo the area has changed a lot. The 1 1 rating is almost all orbit used I don't think back then the Idea of rating a cache was an issue just place it and leave the settings alone. The numbers of stars and that is a newer thing to fill grids and other trivial things. I will bring the container to some events to show how long a cheap container can stay in good shape . Maybe the first container that I have fell down the hollow tree hole and was replaced with the one KB took out?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just logged a long lost and archived cache. http://coord.info/GC10T12
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's been archived, why hasn't it been CITOed? Evil or Very Mad
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the logs and you'll understand.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
If it's been archived, why hasn't it been CITOed? Evil or Very Mad

I meant to use the "stir-the-pot" emoticon, not "I-am-very-mad". I am all for keeping geocaching from getting stagnant. Wink
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loneliest cache I found was in Ontario. It was the final cache of a series, but two of the caches you had to find to get the code to the final had been archived. So it hadn't been found in almost two years. Before going there, I e-mailed a previous finder, and he very generously told me almost exactly where to look. I posted a picture of the logbook in my log to the cache, but I decided to leave my GPS visible in that photo, with the coordinates displayed. I figured the cache wasn't really doing anybody any good without being able to be found. Since then, it's been found six times. Weirdly, the cache owner recently maintained the cache, but the two precursor caches are still archived.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found 2 archived but not removed caches in the past, and just removed one of my own. When people donít put a cache back where it was initially placed, the CO may not find it either and assume it has been muggled. I went to GZ twice to find a 2/2 cache before archiving it and giving up the location. I was surprised when people started to find it after a new cache was placed in the area, and at how far it had wandered from itís initial GZ.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found 24 archived caches; I have a list in my profile. My favorite is a puzzle I found 5 years after it had been archived. Mostly they were left by hiders who lost interest in caching and didn't remove their hides, but in a few cases the hider couldn't find them. (Actually I DNF'ed my own cache once too when trying to CITO it, but several people found it afterwards.) In one case the hider died, in another case the hider didn't live in the area...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: