MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you like the new Geocaching Challenges Feature?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like the new Geocaching challenges feature?
Yes! It's awesome!
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
No I don't like it.
80%
 80%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 40

sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Do you like the new Geocaching Challenges Feature? Reply with quote

Do you like the new Geocaching challenges feature?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit that, to this point, I've completely ignored it. I haven't seen a challenge, tried to create or complete a challenge, or read much beyond what I need to know about challenges.

As a player, it's just not a part of the game that's turning my crank.
Captain and Mate
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too soon to vote for us. It's definitely not "Awesome", and probably never will be, but we're adopting a "wait and see" attitude after an initial reaction that was totally negative.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we owned a monkey that was trained to read and operate a camera, then we could sit back and geocache while said pet monkey did the challenges. Unfortunately we don't have a monkey let alone one that could read and operate a camera, so for now I have been filling in for the monkey nicely. Why I am doing them is beyond me, guess so far they have been so easy, a monkey can do them, so I do them. Kathy!!! we are out of bananas. Wink
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I land somewhere in the middle. I like the idea behind them, I'm just not so keen on how they've been implemented...
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is of course a long way for them to go to improve, but I have to admit I like the concept. For example, the challenge in Murphy Hanrehan Park is, to me, a great implementation of this challenge feature. Instead of cachers walking across mountain bike trails to get to a cache, it actually challenges cachers to BIKE on the mountain bike trail. That to me seems ligitimate.

"Drive down Lombard Street" could be a good challenge and is no different than if an old virtual would have been placed there. In fact, there is a cache there that is often muggled, so a challenge might not be a bad idea for that location.

The peer review allows for some pretty crummy challenges. If cachers can take it a little seriously, find a place that is fun to bring cachers to, and make a very specific challenge, this can be good. Vague or uninteresting challenges will put us right back to what people disliked about old virtual caches.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone point me to the background on removing virtual caches in the first place? They had already been dropped when we started in mid-2006, but for the most part, the ones we've done made sense, much like these challenges could if implemented with some forethought.

I keep hearing that they were getting "pointless," and granted we've done a handful like that, but by and large, the ones we've done have been really great and made sense in the locations they took us.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
Can someone point me to the background on removing virtual caches in the first place? They had already been dropped when we started in mid-2006, but for the most part, the ones we've done made sense, much like these challenges could if implemented with some forethought.

I don't recall for sure, but I believe it was related to the fact that geocaching is about finding hidden containers.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're OK. We've got some quality cachers around here, and we'll have some of the best challenges by this time next year.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid they're going to be spending so much time shaking all the bugs out of Challenges that the core function of the site (geocaching!) is going to suffer further.

And then, in a couple of months, they'll lose interest in Challenges in favor of the next silly thing (I'm guessing Munzee competition).
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the numbers are now back up beside found caches, and challenges are now separate from finds compared to earlier where they were included in your find total. The way it should have been. Nice
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm afraid they're going to be spending so much time shaking all the bugs out of Challenges that the core function of the site (geocaching!) is going to suffer further.

And then, in a couple of months, they'll lose interest in Challenges in favor of the next silly thing (I'm guessing Munzee competition).

I wonder how long it'll be till they get rid of 'em (Hmm...). But do you mean Like This

Hunter-Killer wrote:
I see the numbers are now back up beside found caches, and challenges are now separate from finds compared to earlier where they were included in your find total. The way it should have been. Nice

Nice!!! I might be on the bandwagon now! That's good, how they should be.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sucks as it stands but it has potential.
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
Can someone point me to the background on removing virtual caches in the first place? ...
I believe an issue was that there didn't seem to be any point in having both waymarks and virtuals.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
I land somewhere in the middle.

Me too. I did one and that is probably all I will do.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have potential...

PS...I didn't vote...as the two choices don't really cover my feelings on the issue...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: