MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Munzee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
This sounds horrible to me, like dorking around finding urban micros plus poor signal. Get me to the woods!!
Oh, it's worse than that, my friend... It's like urban micros plus poor signal minus the suspense of opening a container, minus sharing the experience online. (It's just "found it" for now, there's no DNFs, no log narrative, yet)
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
It looks like somebody doesn't like fancy phones!
I think the new iPod Touch could be used to do this activity.

Maybe, but I doubt it. It probably needs internet.

Last edited by sigilwig44 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally went out and tried one today, (there are only two here) first off using an iphone to find coordinates is not the greatest, but finally figured out where the "similar" to quick response code was and scanned it, the phone vibrated, it read the image, then gave me the option to type a log right on the spot which I did. So I guess they improved the software, you can now type a log on the phone then submit it at the location of the munzee. I would hate to see my phone bill if I used this elsewhere as I am sure roaming charges would apply. All in all, not as fun as actually coming up with a cache, and i dislike the name Munzee, major dork name, it just sounds wrong LOL.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opencaching.us (not Garmin's Opencaching.com!) has a new Munzee-like cache type called BIT Caches.

Quote:
To log a BIT cacheTM find, simply find the cache, then visit the cache page and log the find using the password printed on the cache. Be sure to leave a comment and give us the details of your find when logging your find. In the examples shown below, you would replace the word "SAMPLE" with the password needed to log the find.

So you can use a standard GPSr and you don't need a smartphone. Also, no points to earn (which a lot of people seem to dislike about Munzee).
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky King 36 wrote:
dornole wrote:
This sounds horrible to me, like dorking around finding urban micros plus poor signal. Get me to the woods!!
Oh, it's worse than that, my friend... It's like urban micros plus poor signal minus the suspense of opening a container, minus sharing the experience online. (It's just "found it" for now, there's no DNFs, no log narrative, yet)

you can post logs.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness Munzees, Geocaches, Waymarks, Opencaching, BITCaches, Challenges. Looks like there's alot of geocaching wannabees out there. I'll stick with Geocaching.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky King 36 wrote:
Oh, it's worse than that, my friend... It's like urban micros plus poor signal minus the suspense of opening a container, minus sharing the experience online

Don't forget the horible phone fees, no SWAG, and can you imagine no Minnesota Munzee association Smile.
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X51hz wrote:
Sky King 36 wrote:
(It's just "found it" for now, there's no DNFs, no log narrative, yet)
you can post logs.

Maybe on the iPhone? I was not able to do this on the android until the update I just got tonight, it wasn't there earlier today.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Munzee has gone commercial where geocaching.com strictly forbids commercial caches without prior approval.

http://www.munzee.com/business
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spotted several Munzees while out caching without looking for them. The majority of those were defacing property.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I've spotted several Munzees while out caching without looking for them. The majority of those were defacing property.

I used doubleback tape on my first without thinking clearly. I now use magnets where possible or nothing at all. You can get a 25 or 50 pack of those business card sized magnets rather inexpensively at all office supply stores.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I used doubleback tape on my first without thinking clearly. I now use magnets where possible or nothing at all. You can get a 25 or 50 pack of those business card sized magnets rather inexpensively at all office supply stores.

The magnets work well...I have used laminate baggage tags with zip-ties as well...
I Spy.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
My goodness Munzees, Geocaches, Waymarks, Opencaching, BITCaches, Challenges. Looks like there's alot of geocaching wannabees out there. I'll stick with Geocaching.

I'm with you...have fun whatever you do, but geocaching (except for challenges) is for me...especially in the woods!
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a lot of players out here doing it. Quite a few to find as well (which I won't). Some of the players are also geocachers and have placed their sticker inside the cache box. However, if you let the reviewer know there is a Munzee in the box they will disapprove the placement.

That's not the problem I have with the game. But the down right defacement of public or private property that I have an issue with. I've seen them stuck to the sides of mail boxes, next to the entrance of a supermarket door, on the back of private fences and such. I've seen them stapled into trees. The game supporting defacement just by providing a gummed back sticker. So, I'll just stick with the king of the hill and not support it.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just placed my second Munzee yesterday out in Oakdale..so all you Munzee finders, theres a new one to grab.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: