MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Munzee
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Munzee Reply with quote

anyone herd of this? I saw one on a post at the cub by my house. http://www.munzee.com/
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the biggest things to happen to Geocaching in a while...ok, maybe not geocaching, but it is receiving a lot of press (well, from podcasters and bloggers), I found two and have hidden one (which hasn't been found yet...come on people, go get it...here's a hint, it's the only one in Oakdale).

My kids and I found it fun to find...no boxes, no trade items, just a little tag hidden somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it, sounds like a contest with the leader board. And you need one of those fancy phones. Some of us can't afford those.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure some of those people with smartphones can't then afford a fancy gps that usually cost a whole lot more. It looks like a fun game. Too bad I don't have a fancy phone.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the web site, they have no plans to expand to other phones. Nice, huh?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
I looked at the web site, they have no plans to expand to other phones. Nice, huh?

Why expand to others when you've hit the majority of the smartphone market already? Wink

I am surprised though that Blackberry isn't on the short list to receive the app next, although BB appears to be loosing more and more of the market share...
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
And you need one of those fancy phones. Some of us can't afford those.

I don't have a fancy phone either. I have never paid more than $100 for a cell phone, but I paid over $300 for my Oregon. It isn't the price of the fancy phone I object to, it's the extra $30 a month they want you to pay.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 in our area, and have not yet done them even though we have downloaded the free munzee app for our iphone4

munzees, challenges, opencaching, lots of choices
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munzee is a "caching like" game where hiders place out tiny little QR code label/stickers and post their whereabouts online. You don't log a munzee like you do a cache... Instead, you scan the QR code with your android or iPhone.

Munzee is really just getting started in the twin cities. One or two were placed out about a month ago, then geocaching's "sokratz" caught the bug and he put out about 35 or so around the northern suburbs. There's also a series called "shadow" that has 5 out so far.

Most of the munzees have only been found by me. As of today there are 58 Munzees in the twin cities, I have scanned 41 of them so far, and to date I'd say that for 35 of those, I am the sole scanner. I don't think anyone besides me has scanned more than 2 or 3 total so far.

Who knows where it will go. The munzees are not located with the same precision as a cache, so for now they really have to be attached to beacon that is obvious enough so you can spot it. Put a munzee in a match tube and hide it in the woods, and the 50-60 foot radius you have to work with would be brutal.

The scoring model, and the discussion on their forums, makes it clear that Munzee is more about points and competition than geocaching used to be. The truth is, that much of geoacaching has become about the numbers, no matter how strong the denials are. You get 5 points for scanning a munzee, but you also get more points for placing a munzee and for your each time your munzee is scanned. The hider gets way more points per scan than the finder does, so the competitive scoring system strongly favors hiding. Good move, tactically.

So far, the way Munzee is being played around the country, is sort of like "geocaching lite"... Something to do on the rainy days when you don't feel like gearing up for the woods... Or something easy to do with kids that usually won't involve poison ivy or ticks.

It has a long way to go. The entire game model is very immature, as is the software, we'll see how the game model evolves.

One cacth, as others have said, is that you play it on an android or iPhone, which are mandatory. You can't simply snap a cell phone pic of the QR code, take it home and scan it there. There's no way to scan from their webpage. The only way to capture is using the Munzee android/iPhone software AT the location of the Munzee... Your phone's GPS must be on and you must be close to the posted coords to scan. That also means that Munzees must always be placed in good signal coverage. No cellular data... No scan.

Hope this helps.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
I don't like it, sounds like a contest with the leader board. And you need one of those fancy phones. Some of us can't afford those.

While I've never done it, there are lots of games with leader boards and require all kinds of fancy equipment. Geocaching could actually be considered one of those things as well. My only point is we shouldn't throw stones with things like this. It seems interesting to me, but I'm not sure how much of them I would go out to find.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

I don't have a fancy phone either. I have never paid more than $100 for a cell phone, but I paid over $300 for my Oregon. It isn't the price of the fancy phone I object to, it's the extra $30 a month they want you to pay.

The gps is a onetime cost. The fancy phone has a cost plus the monthly charge and all the other charges the provider will hit you for. So the fancy phone will cost you more to play in the long run.
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
tonkaMN wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

The gps is a onetime cost. The fancy phone has a cost plus the monthly charge and all the other charges the provider will hit you for. So the fancy phone will cost you more to play in the long run.

It looks like somebody doesn't like fancy phones!
I think the new iPod Touch could be used to do this activity.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
tonkaMN wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

It looks like somebody doesn't like fancy phones!

I never said I didnít like them. I just canít afford them.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:

Is that true? Both of my kids have touches and if I could use them for munzees that would be great
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds horrible to me, like dorking around finding urban micros plus poor signal. Get me to the woods!!

But other please enjoy. : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: