MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Geocaching Challenges Feature...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've already completed several challenges having never left my desk and they seem to be added to the count.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kc9gbo wrote:
Podcacher had an interesting discussion with Jeremy and one other person from Groundspeak for their midweek micro. Seems they feel peer review will weed the trash from the good stuff, time will tell I guess.
In my experience, there is no such thing as a "discussion with Jeremy". Its his way or the highway, and he is not interested in our opinions.

I think these are one of the biggest wastes of time of the many wastes of time they have spent on website development. Thanks for improving pocket queries and getting the beta maps out of beta and so many other things that we have been pleading for, Groundspeak.

Oh yeah... the "about 6 months" on the logs instead of a date... nice touch.
termdisc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that adding these so-called "challenges" to the find count dilutes and pollutes and convolutes the number of legitimate finds, and I will not be participating, at least initially. However, if the madness doesn't stop, if this truly becomes the "new normal," will I absolutely, never, ever log a "challenge" as a find? Sigh.

This seems to be just another example where version 2.0 (or 5.0, whatever) is worse than the original. Elegance is removed in the name of "progress." And it used to be fun looking back and saying, hmmm, April 12, 2008, that's when I was at such-and-such a place - but no more, since they've removed the dates on the logs. What in the world were they thinking there?!

Having said all that, it has occurred to me in the past that Groundspeak is a privately owned company and, in theory at least, the owners could one day say, "You know, we had some fun, we made some money, time to move on to the next thing," and pull the plug entirely. So I guess I'll be glad that they haven't hosed it up even more, or outright quit!
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did Grounspeaks" Kiss the frog challenge" . Horns, confetti, fireworks. Completed it having a few brewskis in 90 degree heat on the deck overlooking our backyard pond and noticed Kathy had a plastic motion sensing frog. Took a photo (hey I had to walk to the kitchen and grab the camera off the top of the fridge) took a photo and "Bobs your uncle"......Challenge complete.

Can not wait for a Watch paint dry challenge.

Or better yet get a picture of the old lady cutting the lawn challenge. WOOOOHOOOO
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed the "Point toward St. Paul and burp" challenge. Really exciting stuff there...
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
I just completed the "Point toward St. Paul and burp" challenge. Really exciting stuff there...
Razz

Are you serious?
termdisc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I created a termdisc-challenges username and completed the ridiculous "kiss the frog" challenge or whatever it's called. Then I logged a cache find on an archived cache of mine, to see how the numbers would be reported.

As many have probably seen, they do combine caches found and challenges completed into one big "found/completed" number at the top of the page, and every log has that combined number on the left side. At least you can mouse over the left side of logs to see finds and challenges separated.

In short, they've taken elegant clarity and made it misleading and complex and dilluted. Brilliant.

As for my "-challenges" username, though, I do like the idea of creating an I-394 series of challenges - say one for every one hundredth of a mile in the morning with one hand on the wheel, one for every one hundredth of a mile in the morning with two hands on the wheel ... morning, evening, middle lane, right lane, carpool lane, bus with legs crossed, bus with legs straight, bus while reading a book... 950 completions on the way to work, 950 completions on the way home, five days a week - In just 10 short weeks I can be at 100,000 challenges completed, and in a couple years I'll be in the millions!

Or, maybe I'll just go walk the dog.
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

termdisc wrote:
it has occurred to me in the past that Groundspeak is a privately owned company and, in theory at least, the owners could one day say, "You know, we had some fun, we made some money, time to move on to the next thing," and pull the plug entirely.

A little off topic to go down this road, but... I have thought about this many times. Groundspeak doesn't own or control ANY part of geocaching, except one thing, and it's a biggy... the database that all our caches are listed and logged in. You are absolutely right, Jeremy and gang could have a change of heart or lose interest for all manner of reasons, and boom--geocaching as we know it is gone. Someone could be suing GS over a patent infringement right this very minute and we'd never know that it was just hours away from closing down until we started getting HTTP 404 errors trying to log in. If you start brainstorming on all the things that could cause a growing business to spiral in, the list is endless, and the truth is, most do. Remember NetPerceptions here in the cities? They had strong revenue and $56 million cash in the bank when they realized there were flaws in their business model that would probably be insurmountable long term... So they gave the $56 million back to investors, fired 1,000 employees, and closed the doors overnight.

Here's the good news. If it happened 5 years ago, the sport would probably die. But now we have 1.5 million caches and 4+ million cachers, over 2 million of those active. What that means is that we have the critical mass required, if Groundspeak shuttered tomorrow, to restart. Would it be easy? No, it would suck. But it would happen and after some growing pains, probably 90% of today's caches would be relisted in the new database and the game play model would be even more refined in the end.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, I don't think I'm going to accept any challenges. I can't exactly say why though, because I have logged 32 various virtual caches, and nearly 50 other cache types without a container and logbook.

Obviously GS didn't put enough thought into how geocachers would respond to this project, and unfortunately they don't seem to have a good reputation for cleaning up their own messes. Abrupt and rude though it was, as Jeremy said, I don't have to play that game.

I've learned not to care so much about other people's cache find counts. (Saying that, I should admit that yesterday I did inform a CO about someone who misread their challenge cache page and hadn't actually met the challenge ALR as given). If you want to rack up points, go ahead.

Maybe someday I will log a challenge. Maybe someday I will perform the challenge but not log it. I don't know. I think, that once some of the chaff gets removed (hopefully it can), then the good challenges left might indicate some interesting places to go if you are on vacation in an area, much like the current Virtuals do.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overnight, I came around on these a little. It concerns me how poorly Groundspeak implements things, but eventually some of the silly oversights might get corrected.

But I think I'll follow through on my idea to hide a geocache and publish the coordinates in a Challenge. In order to complete the challenge, you have to find the cache and sign the log inside.
Smiling duo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me go on record and say I don't care for this type of challenge. If my better half hears about this one, he'll think we're all nuts. So on December 24th when I need a grid filler, I could just sit at home and kiss a frog or point to St. Paul and burp and that will fill the day? Bad!
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Challenges seem to be isolated from caches at the moment so just create a new account and log challenges on that account if you want to keep your find count pristine. Don't worry about others find counts.

Groundspeak Inc. doesn't listen, to what complaints and tweaks? They are a business, they want to grow, has anyone ever given them the next big idea?

It's their business, it's their money, spend it however they want to.

As far as ideas, has Groundspeak Inc. ever had any, seems everything they provide they borrowed from someone else.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I see a point to challenges - I really do. It can serve as an intelligent replacement for virtuals.

However, it cannot in the way it was implemented. "Kiss the Frog" and "Burp Toward St. Paul" (yes, even though I did that one), are not suitable challenges for geocaching. A challenge to visit the Como Conservatory, and take a picture near a plaque, and answer a question on the plaque - yeah, I could see that one working.

You should have to answer some sort of question to get credit, which gets sent to the CO for an approve/deny (similar to how we do virtuals today, but a little more automated), not simply say "Yup, I did it" and take credit.

This is **EXACTLY** what everone was afraid of with the "return of virtuals" - is that it would become pointless, and there would be a virtual for everything. Surprise, it happened.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the reason location-less caches were discontinued? I thought it was because a cache requiring you post a picture of a barber pole, well, you can grab a picture of any barber pole off the internet and mark it as "found" and they decided they wanted to keep the game pure. Isn't that what this is only worse???
termdisc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting exchange between Jeremy and a geocacher, in response to Jeremy's "my way or the highway" response to all the negative feedback:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2171763-read-this-jeremy?ref=title

Meantime, the suggestion "Bring log date back, please" has over 5,000 votes in about 24 hours.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2170437-bring-log-date-back-please?ref=title
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: