MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Geocaching Challenges Feature...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
Like it or not, the game just changed.

I'm going with NOT

They may very well have opened up Pandora's Box with this. Very Happy

The strange thing is that there's no reviewer involvement with this at all. Just click and self publish. What's to prevent a dozen people from creating identical challenges at the same spot? Did they not consider that before they launched this? It's madness, I tell you! Sheer madness!

I can also see people quickly testing the limits of acceptable and unacceptable with these, not necessarily with the challenge but with the photos. I think they're trying to save their reviewers time by allowing self-publishing, but they could pay for it on the other end with policing and monitoring.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
So you can't even "revoke" a challenge in case you accidentally goober up the description?

Shocked

You've got 24 hours to edit, or until the first person accepts.

Once SID accepted mine, I can't change a thing.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Podcacher had an interesting discussion with Jeremy and one other person from Groundspeak for their midweek micro. Seems they feel peer review will weed the trash from the good stuff, time will tell I guess.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negatives outweigh positives 160 to 140 on geocaching.com's own Kiss the Frog challenge.

I think this will get a lot uglier before it gets better. I can see a lot of traditional cachers getting violently angry about this.

One immediate problem I can see is that the Photo Challenge was envisioned as a "go to a location and take a photo challenge" but people are just skipping the "go to a location" part of the challenge. I just saw one for "post to your twitter account and post a screen shot of it."

This is going to get way out of hand. You'll could probably log over 100 challenges without leaving your home already.

The idea that the bad will get weeded from the good by peer review is limited by the influence that these will have on find counts. I can see a lot of people shunning these because they don't want to pollute their legitimate finds, and others using them to rack up insane find totals.
starnsun
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
Negatives outweigh positives 160 to 140 on geocaching.com's own Kiss the Frog challenge.

I think this will get a lot uglier before it gets better. I can see a lot of traditional cachers getting violently angry about this.

One immediate problem I can see is that the Photo Challenge was envisioned as a "go to a location and take a photo challenge" but people are just skipping the "go to a location" part of the challenge. I just saw one for "post to your twitter account and post a screen shot of it."

This is going to get way out of hand. You'll could probably log over 100 challenges without leaving your home already.

The idea that the bad will get weeded from the good by peer review is limited by the influence that these will have on find counts. I can see a lot of people shunning these because they don't want to pollute their legitimate finds, and others using them to rack up insane find totals.

We fully agree. We did the Kiss A Frog Challenge to see what this was and we are not impressed to say the least. GS get ready for some real upset cachers abroad.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're always telling us to use the Feedback site, and there are already ~530 votes to get rid of challenges. Laughing

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2170539-remove-challenges-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-geoca?ref=title

I think they actually succeeded in completely missing the point of "bring back Virtuals, but only the good kind, please". They came up with a way to create unlimited crappy virtuals, complete with owners that no longer maintain them (in this case, because they can't)! That's a whole new level of obtuse.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
Like it or not, the game just changed.

I'm going with NOT

Caches you can 'find' without leaving your house?

wow talk about spam!
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and apology to Sharknose. I just wanted to see what it would look like on my account. Now I can't delete the pic. I am much better looking than that guy Laughing A lot of these are remote type challenges. Bad idea from Groundspeak
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, was that fun! I put my fist in the shape of a frog and kissed it. Iím completely, totally and utterly hooked! I might add a challenge for others to kiss my fist too. Then, they can post the coordinates of where they were when they did it. Iím definitely going for the cache a day challenge now that I donít have to leave my house. This will make winter caching a whole new game. Thanks Groundspeak! We asked and you not only delivered, you hit it right out of the park and into my living room!
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
I think they actually succeeded in completely missing the point of "bring back Virtuals, but only the good kind, please". They came up with a way to create unlimited crappy virtuals, complete with owners that no longer maintain them (in this case, because they can't)! That's a whole new level of obtuse.

Yeah, I get the sense that Groundspeak listens intently, but then comes up with something completely missing the point.

Us: Bring back meaningful virtuals!
Them: You want meaningful virtuals?
Us: Yes!
Them: Okay, here you go. Create your own virtuals with no reviewer oversight.
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just published my Challenge

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX1EB
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the Groundspeak fora someone suggested that this was intentionally done poorly to show that they were right in getting rid of ALRs in the first place. I guess I didn't think that was being argued too much any more.

SNB--you really foresee someone getting violent over this? It looks like a disaster to me, but I can't see violence coming from it.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This challenge is funny:
Bad Idea!

rosebud55112 wrote:
In one of the Groundspeak fora someone suggested that this was intentionally done poorly to show that they were right in getting rid of ALRs in the first place. I guess I didn't think that was being argued too much any more.

I don't think they'd spend so much time an effort on this to make a point. I'm sure this cost a large investment in time and funds to produce. Although I can't fathom why anyone would think this is a good systemic solution. The drawbacks are immediately glaring.

rosebud55112 wrote:
SNB--you really foresee someone getting violent over this? It looks like a disaster to me, but I can't see violence coming from it.

No I don't think it will get VIOLENT, but i think some people will get upset over it, since it influences find totals.

I kind of like the idea of creating a second geocaching account to do interesting challenges, but I don't think I'm going to be doing any under my main account.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy says they're staying. Doesn't matter if we don't want them.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2170539-remove-challenges-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-geoca?ref=title

Obtuse AND stubborn. What a fantastic combo.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
Jeremy says they're staying. Doesn't matter if we don't want them.

Obtuse AND stubborn. What a fantastic combo.

Why would they want to listen to us?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: