MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Android app: Neongeo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: New Android app: Neongeo Reply with quote

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.neongeo.app

I saw a note in the forums that this is the most recent app to use the new Groundspeak API. At the moment, it costs $4.27. With the Groundspeak app barely functional and more than a little annoying to use, I decided to buy it.

It does everything the GS app does, and mostly better. It launches faster, caches what it downloads from GS, and pulls puzzle final coordinates from your Personal Cache Notes. The buttons are there for trackables, but I don't think that aspect of the API is active yet. The interface is more intuitive than most, and even on AT&T's horrible network it's fast. It's got a pretty useful live map, and integrates PQs pretty nicely.

It has a few downsides: it doesn't load PQs very quickly (though it's faster than the GS app), no ability to install on the SD card, doesn't use Google Navigation to help you drive to caches, and the map screen is a little cluttered. I'm hoping that some of these can be fixed quickly, and that this company has a better release schedule than Groundspeak.

Considering the 1.0 version was just released a few days ago, this is an excellent start. I used it today and found four caches (including an FTF!) with no real hiccups except for the horrible battery usage my phone has with the GPSr turned on. Smile I won't give up my 60CSx for planned outings, but for hey-I've-got-a-few-minutes-maybe-there's-a-cache-nearby moments I think it will do nicely.
darkfiber
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: NeonGeo Reply with quote

I too (upon reading this) bought this.. Have not used it in the field yet - but I hope it will be better than the official app. Bot C:geo and the official app are good but both have their faults. I guess time will tell for the new guy.

It looks like Ground Speak's API is really limited if you aren't a paid member (I am, thankfully). Their API may lead to a sour experience due to its limitations.

I support the people who maintain Ground Speak, and they need to get paid - but it seems like GS is getting greedy and trying to keep a 'strangle hold' on the Geocache market. I kinda hope that Garmins Opencaching takes off. But with little user support, it will be a rough ride for open caching.

-Darkfiber
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten two FTFs with it already. Smile One was a puzzle, and I ran out the door without the final coordinates written down anywhere. Neongeo picked the coords out of my Personal Cache Note while I was driving to GZ. Laughing

I'm really impressed with the developer's responsiveness. Tweaks and additions look like they'll take only days to be implemented, instead of months (or never) for the official app.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NeonGeo Reply with quote

darkfiber wrote:
I support the people who maintain Ground Speak, and they need to get paid - but it seems like GS is getting greedy and trying to keep a 'strangle hold' on the Geocache market. I kinda hope that Garmins Opencaching takes off. But with little user support, it will be a rough ride for open caching.

Does GS dominate the market? Yep. To classify it as a stranglehold is a bit over the top. There ARE several other geocaching sites afterall and have been for as long as I've been geocaching. It's just that no one chooses to use them because they suck.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those other sites might get more traffic after today's debacle with Challenges.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This app went from "extremely promising" to "outstanding" in less than a month. I have uninstalled Geobeagle, GeOrg and the official app; it has replaced them all.

Our own SkyKing likes it too and has put quite a bit of time into the app Wiki.
jonsom
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Neongeo since Sept 6th, I really like it.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding it does not have a compass and I know it will not run on droid 1.5 - I can't run it on mine as I am at 1.5 and don't want to update.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the compass depends entirely on whether your phone has one built in or not. If GeoBeagle has a working compass, Neongeo would too. But you are right; the current minimum OS version for Neongeo is Android 2.0.

A new way Neongeo has changed how I cache: I upload field notes directly from the phone as I cache. When I come home, my finds and DNFs are all listed in the order I made them, all I have to do is type up my log and submit them.

It's nice for FTFs too; I have a pre-written log that I can upload with a couple of button presses that creates a placeholder "found it" log. Once I get home I edit it into a real log.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i bit the bullet and installed 2.1 - Eclair on my phone. To my surprise none of the previous ill effects appeared in fact my battery life actually increased rather than decreased.

I now have GeoBeagle, Geocaching, neongeo and C:geo all loaded and working.

I still like the logging and general setup on GeoBeagle the best however the compass is magnetic and flys all over the place.

The geocaching apps is very good except you can't delete caches from the list as you find them - major problem

C:geo has the all time best compass and allows one to query finds same as the geocaching app but C:geo allows you to remove caches as they are found and you can log to a file - I have yet to find where the log is kept though.

Neongeo is also pretty nice but the compass is off, at times 90 degrees off so it's not too good for locating.

Right now I would say the C:geo is the best for accuracy as it uses a gps compass not magnetic

GeoBeagle is best for use and logging but has a poor compass.

I have the same apps on my Galaxy tab 7 and while a bit big it works fine also.

In looking at all the tools one has to find tupperware I can't help but think back on what veteran fishermen must have thought regarding the advent of fish locators and other sonar devices that have come along.
Kind of like using dynamite.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST11 wrote:
Right now I would say the C:geo is the best for accuracy as it uses a gps compass not magnetic

The Geocaching.com app will switch between either one.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess after running all the apps the best thing for all day planned caching is still the hand held gps units.

For drive by caching the androids work fine and once you try all the apps they all seem to work but each has it's weak and strong points.

I guess this is why I have four motorcycles and 20 putters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: