MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caches cannot encourage placing new caches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
It is getting to the point where the rules make playing the game not that much fun. I am seriously considering never hiding another cache.

I can totally understand your irritation here but you can't be serious that THIS issue has taken so much fun out of the game to keep you from hiding new caches (am I allowed sentences that long).

I've had several run ins with previous reviewers on what I considered good ideas at the time. Even I got past the irritation. If I can do it, so can you. Very Happy
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
Here is the actual description: "I will try to keep it stocked with cache containers. If you need a container please take one. If you have extras, please drop them off for others to use. "

To me this description sounds more like swag. I've seen similar caches for music, books, fishing, and ones even more focused to trinkets related to specific movies. The Cache-Luck event could even be seen to violate this rule as the traders are "requested" to hide the container each received in trade. (EP - it's still on my kitchen table.)

I understand the move away from the seed caches requiring an immediate hide that were often less than ideal, but this doesn't have that requirement. It did add that natural curiosity of "tell me where my stuff went" which I often wonder when I clear out my containers and bring a box of caches to an event.

I just ask that no one ever leave a box of micros in Maple Grove. Please!
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I can totally understand your irritation here but you can't be serious that THIS issue has taken so much fun out of the game to keep you from hiding new caches (am I allowed sentences that long).

I've had several run ins with previous reviewers on what I considered good ideas at the time. Even I got past the irritation. If I can do it, so can you. Very Happy

No, it isn't that this issue is such a big deal that I am never going to hide another cache. I have always enjoyed searching more than hiding and I am liking hiding less and less with all the new rules that have been popping up over the years. It is just so much easier to seek and not hide. I even considered archiving all my caches, but I talked myself out of that.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
No, it isn't that this issue is such a big deal that I am never going to hide another cache. I have always enjoyed searching more than hiding and I am liking hiding less and less with all the new rules that have been popping up over the years. It is just so much easier to seek and not hide. I even considered archiving all my caches, but I talked myself out of that.

I think one thing to keep in mind (and I realize it now then perhaps a year ago) is that the rules are often (not always, just often) designed to further the quality of the overall game/sport.

For example, I am of the belief that the quality of the sport would be less if there were no proximity requirements. Or if each cache page was an advertisement. Or if caches were placed illegally (RR tracks, private property, etc).

Granted, some of the rules may take an issue to a bit of an extreme, but overall I think they're there for the good of the sport.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
Maybe it's easier if I spend the couple of days, without providing you the feedback that tells you that I'm going to seek the opinions of other reviewers, rather than being up front about where I'm at in the process? Apparently the idea of communicating up front and timely with cache owners is a bad idea?

Forgive me, I still get to some points where it takes me a little extra time to make sure I get it right (this apparently being one of them).

No, you are doing the right thing. I was just trying to figure out what rule I was violating and if anyone else had run into this issue. I know that the cache-luck event had just been approved and I don't see how that is very different than what I am trying to do. I apologize for offending you. I was just frustrated.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
MN.Fruitcake wrote:
Maybe it's easier if I spend the couple of days, without providing you the feedback that tells you that I'm going to seek the opinions of other reviewers, rather than being up front about where I'm at in the process? Apparently the idea of communicating up front and timely with cache owners is a bad idea?

Forgive me, I still get to some points where it takes me a little extra time to make sure I get it right (this apparently being one of them).

No, you are doing the right thing. I was just trying to figure out what rule I was violating and if anyone else had run into this issue. I know that the cache-luck event had just been approved and I don't see how that is very different than what I am trying to do. I apologize for offending you. I was just frustrated.

Oh, were we supposed to hide those containers from Cache-luck? Wink
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Oh, were we supposed to hide those containers from Cache-luck? Wink

I don't think so. I think the purpose was so you'd something different to look at on your shelf, in your trunk, or in your backpack.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What??? He couldn't wait another 3 1/2 hours to publish it? good grief.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this in the cache guidelines. I've been skimming through them and I don't see the seed cache prohibition
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
Where is this in the cache guidelines. I've been skimming through them and I don't see the seed cache prohibition

http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=77

Under the third bold heading.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:

3. Cache pages cannot require, and should not strongly encourage, the placement of caches, particularly chain-letter type series (find this, then plant another in the series). This is an agenda.

Did the fact that I had originally asked others to let me know if they placed a cache from one of the containers taken have much to do with causing your concern that I was violating this rule?
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:

3. Cache pages cannot require, and should not strongly encourage, the placement of caches, particularly chain-letter type series (find this, then plant another in the series). This is an agenda.

Did the fact that I had originally asked others to let me know if they placed a cache from one of the containers taken have much to do with causing your concern that I was violating this rule?

Before this goes down a road I'd rather not go down, I'll tell you that this is my last post in this thread.

The general theme of the cache appeared to be a seed cache for other caches. I incorrectly applied the quoted guideline above in response to that. As I mentioned earlier to you, it was my mistake and I apologize for the confusion it caused.
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd we get this, then?
coord.info/gc2vkeh
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
How'd we get this, then?
coord.info/gc2vkeh

Wink The worst thing you can do is point out discrepancies to our local reviewer. Wink
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
How'd we get this, then?
coord.info/gc2vkeh

Probably because it's an event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: