MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin support of Wherigo update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Garmin support of Wherigo update Reply with quote

I received the following email from our regional Garmin rep.

"Recently, Garmin has attended the Geowoodstock IX, the Midwest GeoBash and a number of other regional geocaching conventions and we have been asked by many people about WhereIgo™ and why Garmin has not supported it on some of our newer handhelds. While Wherigo™ support on all Garmin handhelds is something we would like to provide, It is important to understand that Wherigo™ is a combination of an engine provided by Groundspeak, a license agreement to use their patent, and a reliance of their Wherigo cartridge builder tools. The remainder of the system (the part people see as the “player” in their Oregon/Colorado device) is managed by Garmin, but is subject to the terms of use we have with Groundspeak. Unfortunately, while Garmin has contributed significant effort to Wherigo™ development in past years, Groundspeak’s efforts to improve the cartridge builder tools and associated developer utilities has not reached a level that gives us reason to further our development at this time. Unless we see a significant change in Groundspeak’s priorities regarding Wherigo™, I do not foresee a change in Garmin’s plan going forward, which is to phase out Wherigo™ players from outdoor handhelds. If this feature is important to you or your members, be sure to have them contact Groundspeak regarding their desire to see this content become further developed. Without this support I am afraid this feature will eventually be phased out. Please feel free to share this concern with other caching clubs you may know about. Thanks so much for your time and consideration."

Scott Ashton
Garmin Intl.

Nope, no relation known anyway to MNBrad
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course...if one reads between the lines...

"Use our caching website...and since we don't have something like WherIGo...we don't plan on having it on our units anymore."
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And based on the information given in Podcacher Show 324.0: Staring you in the Face!, it does not sound that groundspeak has completely given up on Wherigo since they have made the PiGo app the official groundspeak wherigo app.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:

"Use our caching website...and since we don't have something like WherIGo...we don't plan on having it on our units anymore."

That's my take too. I think Garmin and GC are in a huge pi$$ing match right now over listing of geocaches and anything that they may have jointly worked on has been nixed.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just received an email from Garmin's open caching encouraging everyone to hide at least one cache on their site as the 1 year anniversary of their site approaches. We registered just to protect our user name when they first started up, but have not really done any caches listed there except 1 which was a friends and we had already been there so claimed it as a find. With PiGo the official app I would have to say that they are still interested, just not going to be called whereIgo
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when the PiGo app became the official Groundspeak app, it was renamed to Wherigo.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
We just received an email from Garmin's open caching encouraging everyone to hide at least one cache on their site as the 1 year anniversary of their site approaches.

Actually, that email came from Opencaching.us, which is not affiliated with Garmin's Opencaching.com. The Opencaching.us people are more than a little annoyed that Garmin confused the whole thing, though Garmin had the .com for some time before .us went live.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is real confusing... Just checked the e-mail and you are right, it is for .us not .com so how did opencaching .us get our email address ?
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one, and it did come from opencachig.COM not US.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:

That's my take too. I think Garmin and GC are in a huge pi$$ing match right now over listing of geocaches and anything that they may have jointly worked on has been nixed.

I agree that GC and Garmin are not best buddies, but for two or three years, when I have interviewed Garmin for the Podcast, they have always said the same thing. GC doesn't seem to be doing anything with WhereIGo...so why should they spend resources building it into their devices. I don't see the purchase of PiGo as anything more than appeasing mobile phone users...to be honest, I was surprised that they didn't buy C:Geo when the developer announced that he would stop development on it....before he announced it was going opensource...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I was surprised that they didn't buy C:Geo when the developer announced that he would stop development on it....before he announced it was going opensource...

Assuming that "they" here is Groundspeak, I'm guessing it's because they already have their own app in the works, plus if c:geo disappeared then it probably wouldn't take too long for someone to develop an app to replace it, even if that did come from scratch. It's a problem that money isn't going to fix I think.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:

What??? Good thing in got an Oregon when I did!!! I better find a Wherigo before they all get archived.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: