MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WeekNIGHT Caching: Wednesday, August 24, 7:30 pm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: WeekNIGHT Caching: Wednesday, August 24, 7:30 pm Reply with quote

I need a volunteer to help out in the Fridley area.

There is a plan to have an official event for the evening of the 24th by an out of town cacher that needs help in planning. Unfortunately, I'm leaving town that day.

Quote:
Let me introduce myself, Im Bedmaker.
I live in Brisbane, Australia with my caching partner TassieGirl13.
Were about to head over to you part of the USA for a couple of days as I have business to do in Fridley. I was hoping to organise a small event one evening around the Fridley area so we could meet and swap stories with some of the local geocachers.
As Ive never been to Minneapolis I have no idea of a suitable place to have a small gathering so I was wondering if I could ask for your help as to a suitable location, eg a restaurant/ park / hotel close to Fridley.

Unfortunately due to business and time constraints the only evening we have free is Wed August 24th. Therefore I was planning on having it this night.
I contacted a couple of local caches and they told me about your association and suggested to contact you for assistance.

Thanks in advance for help and we look forward to maybe meeting some of your members on the night.
Bedmaker (Chris)

If anyone can help, please contact Bedmaker at Chris (dot) Lee (at) northstate (dot) com (dot) au
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to attend this event. Hoping someone closer to Fridley will be able to help out abit.

KF
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent off an email offering to set something up. I'll try to keep this thread updated if I get the go-ahead.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosebud55112 wrote:
I've sent off an email offering to set something up. I'll try to keep this thread updated if I get the go-ahead.

Thank you so much!
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking about a week night cache sort of outing or a proper event at a restaraunty type location??
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my .02, which truly don't matter since I too will be out of town (funny how that works) but I would try to find a Davannis or Broadway Pizza type place in Fridley as we've had pretty good luck with those in the past in terms of decent space, etc. Whoever is working with the out of towner should make sure they have a car, or find someplace close to them, and heck if the weather is nice, maybe set up WNC close to whatever the "official" event location ends up being. I'm guessing that they haven't found whatever caches are closeby...
kendrick0861
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets make it a good one. Bedmaker and Tassiegirl13 traveled a long way to come here. I know if I was going to Austrailia I would want to go to a place that I wouldn't forget.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that they are looking for an official (receive a smiley) event. But the best way to meet MN cachers is WNC!
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from rebelex about them and thought that they wanted to hold an event and was looking for someplace in Fridley to hold it. I sent the an email suggesting La Casita in Columbia Heights. I also told them about WeekNIGHT as well. I have not had a response to the email yet.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some email response from them. I think we'll set up an actual event at a restaurant. I know this might conflict with WNC, but that's what they'd like and since I don't know how WNC works, you're stuck with this.

I'll be checking with some restaurants in the Fridley/Columbia Heights/ Brooklyn Park area--my first thought would be Broadway Pizza on University, although La Casita would be good too.

What are the typical numbers for WNC, and should I expect significantly more than that for this event?

I've got an event listing in the works--watch for GC31B80.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosebud55112 wrote:
I've had some email response from them. I think we'll set up an actual event at a restaurant. I know this might conflict with WNC, but that's what they'd like and since I don't know how WNC works, you're stuck with this.

I'll be checking with some restaurants in the Fridley/Columbia Heights/ Brooklyn Park area--my first thought would be Broadway Pizza on University, although La Casita would be good too.

What are the typical numbers for WNC, and should I expect significantly more than that for this event?

I've got an event listing in the works--watch for GC31B80.

You can still have an event and incorporate WNC. How WNC works is that an area with 3-4 caches is chosen and everyone meets there at 7:30 pm and does the caches together, when people find the cache they watch others find it until the last person finds it then the log is signed WNC. After the caches are done then people go to a nearby restuaurant for food, drinks and socializing. The number of people that show up to WNC can vary greatly.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the comments on WNC turnout. I hostsed over the winter and we had 4 people turn up (of course it blizzarded that day) but we've had 20 or 30 people show up just as easily.

I think planning a proper event and coordinating a WNC before it would be great plan.

Especially if we could coordinate someone up in the area to maybe make a few new hides to get published that night. WNC with a few FTF's is always a good turnout.
Valsey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't been to a WNC yet, I hope to make this one.
If its a small group around 20 can I suggest considering Alberts in Columbia Heights. They make Great Gator or Beef Burgers. I not quite a regular there yet, but close to being one. One thing to consider they don't take credit cards. If needed, I can get confirmation on their closing time

Another location maybe to consider is Sarna's as well as La Casita for larger crowds.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
I hostsed over the winter and we had 4 people turn up (of course it blizzarded that day)

I am proud to say that I was one of the 4 people to show up on that cold winter day.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:
I hostsed over the winter and we had 4 people turn up (of course it blizzarded that day)

I am proud to say that I was one of the 4 people to show up on that cold winter day.

And I was the other Cool . TonkaMN and I even precached together in the snow before the event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: