MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serving on the board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Serving on the board Reply with quote

So, hypothetically speaking if someone were interested in being on the board, but didn't want to nominate themselves (which the bylaws don't seem to allow or prohibit) how would someone go about getting someone to sponsor their nomination for, say, Member at Large.

Hypothetically speaking of course Embarassed
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I read the bylaws, you are able to nominate yourself. I understand though that this is not always preferable.

The best way to do it is to communicate with someone who you think would be willing to nominate you.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By posting something like this Razz
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be like nominating your own cache for COTM. You will be harrassed incessently for days, all in good fun of course.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I think it'd be like nominating your own cache for COTM. You will be harrassed incessently for days, all in good fun of course.

It'll be great practice for serving on the board. Smile
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...reading the thread...got me to thinking...

If one nominates her/himself...does said person need to accept the nomination too???
Laughing Question Laughing
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People want to be humble, and often hesitate to self-nominate out of a desire to not seem self promoting. But there is no shame at all in saying "I am willing to serve the organization in a bigger capacity than I have in the past, if the organization so chooses." Most volunteer organiztions struggle to maintain a fresh pool of active leaders with new ideas and energy.

I'd be more inclined to vote for a board member who runs because THEY wanted to, not because a few friends encouraged them to.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky King 36 wrote:
People want to be humble, and often hesitate to self-nominate out of a desire to not seem self promoting. But there is no shame at all in saying "I am willing to serve the organization in a bigger capacity than I have in the past, if the organization so chooses." Most volunteer organiztions struggle to maintain a fresh pool of active leaders with new ideas and energy.

I'd be more inclined to vote for a board member who runs because THEY wanted to, not because a few friends encouraged them to.

Fortunately, I can't think of any of the nominees that needed to be "encouraged". I think every one of them that have accepted have been more than willing to be involved.
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
If one nominates her/himself...does said person need to accept the nomination too???

"I nominate myself, but regretably, I must respectfully decline"

Sort of a new twist on Lyndon Johnson... "I *WILL* accept the nomination of my party, but if elected, I will not serve!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: