MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DNF Influence
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: DNF Influence Reply with quote

DNFís. We all have them, some of us log them, but have you ever noticed what you can start when you log a DNF? When I first started caching, I went to GZ armed only with a GPS and the coords. Today I have info galore. Its on my GPS, smart phone, Iíve got PAFís and more. I chuckle when I get a DNF on an easy cache followed by several more DNFís. I think if people would spend more time looking for the cache and less time reading about it in the field, theyíd find the stupid thing. Iíve had a cache, hidden in plain sight receive a needs maintenance because of a streak of DNFís. Just because they didnít find it doesnít mean you wonít, but you gotta look. Maybe we should add DNLBPDNF (Did Not Look Because of Previous Did Not Finds).
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that if there are a lot of dnf's (more than 5) after a lot of finds in a row and the cache owner hasn't checked on it I will either ignore it or only give it a short search. If there is only one or just a few dnf's I will still give it a good search. I enjoy being the one that found it after a few dnf's.

I'm not ashamed to log a dnf and sometimes I just miss an easy cache for some reason. As a cache owner I appreciate it when people log their dnf's. If one of my caches is missing I will never know if nobody ever logs a dnf. I guess I would say don't log a dnf unless you gave it an appropriate search - a couple minutes for a D1 and a good thorough search for a D5.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DNF Influence Reply with quote

Yeah I've seen that happen on my caches. I'm definitely guilty of reading instead of looking. If I see more than a few DNF's I often won't try or don't try very hard. If I don't try hard I usually don't log another DNF to avoid making it look even worse to future seekers.

But just last week I found a cache after 3 DNF's. I kept at it because I didn't recognize their names Smile , and because the logs before those had some coordinate corrections which they might have missed.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I also spend a lot less time looking when a cache has a few DNFs, especially if the DNFs are by experienced cachers.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reason to check and report all's well if your cache has a lot of DNFs. If there's a lot of DNFs followed by the owner noting it's there? THAT cache, I'll look for.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking a string of DNFs with a find is always a treat. I think our record is 6 straight DNFs prior to us before our find. Actually that one was 8 DNFs out of 9 logs with the find coming from someone with a minimal number of finds.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found two caches today. The last four logs on the first one were dnf's and it was a quick find. The last six logs on the second one were dnf's and it was a quick find also. The dnf's didn't affect me, but it looks like they probably influenced some other cachers.
Copaman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 5 star with a string of DNFs, I'll spend a lot more time looking for it than a 1 star with a string of DNFs. If it's a 1 star difficulty and six DNFs and I don't find it within five minutes, I generally move on. Usually, if there is a later "Found It" log, it will be something like "I found this one 40 feet away under a rock." I usually don't start looking at past logs until after I've looked for 5-10 minutes, and then, based on the difficulty, I'll decide to keep looking or move on.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I routinely filter out caches from my PQs that the most recent logs are 3 or more DNFs. I've got better things to do with my time than spend it looking for unmaintained caches.
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or how about favorite point influence? It seems like once a couple of people favorite a cache then everyone seems to follow suit whether it is a great cache or not. Or the opposite - people seem to be afraid to be the first one to favorite a cache.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate every favorite point Iíve received, and you folks have given me a lot of them. Iíve never asked for one and donít understand those who do. I also appreciate the points you give others. They let me know if a cache is worth my time. I donít think they tell me itís a great cache, but rather that itís not a bogus one. If someone gives a favorite point to a friends so so cache, I understand. If they donít give a point to a great cache because no one else has, they worry to much about what others think. That being said, this has nothing to do with DNF streaks and if I donĎt mention DNF influences, my post might end up way at the bottom like the Jucy Lucy did, with no way to bump it back to the top. Can you give a favorite point with a DNF? If you took me to a really cool spot, Iíd favorite it even though I DNFíd the cache.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
I appreciate every favorite point Iíve received, and you folks have given me a lot of them. Iíve never asked for one and donít understand those who do.

This is dead on. And while I am not perfect, I try to live by this philosophy. I am hoping this philosophy isn't confused with my FB post where I was unhappy about those saying a cache is worthy of a favorite but then never awarded it.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I know that I also spend a lot less time looking when a cache has a few DNFs, especially if the DNFs are by experienced cachers.

Of course, as you can see by this thread, it may be more likely that those DNFs were by experienced cachers that didn't look very hard because of all of the previous DNFs. Novice cachers might not think about the implications of that, and keep on looking until they find it. Laughing
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best thrills is finding one others missed and then getting the e-mails and PAF from them. This makes us give it a good try. A FTF that has DNF's on it is also very nice.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a 1.5 difficulty, I probably won't search as much as I would if it didn't have DNFs. I'll also look at the past logs - if there's four DNFs from a group of newbies, I'll go look for the cache, but if the last few DNFs are from experienced cachers, I'll either skip it or not look as hard (i.e. I had one yesterday that was DNFed by TOH and Rusty that I probably could have looked harder for, but I didn't based on their DNFs).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: