MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harney Peak Benchmarks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Harney Peak Benchmarks Reply with quote

I was looking at some of the benchmarks at various states' high points, and the logs for OT0810 at Harney Peak in South Dakota made me laugh. Four of the last five discoverers of that benchmarks were names that I recognized as being local Twin Cities area geocachers. Perhaps that shouldn't be too surprising since it is a neighboring state, but there were only five finders in total in the past year! OT0812 has the same four TC finders, and no one else in the last year. And based on the dates of discovery, it doesn't look like any of these cachers were travelling with each other.

I just found that amusing.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! A simple explanation would be that they are all just following me around. Laughing

Joking aside, it always amazes me when I'm at some random cache somewhere else in the US to look over the logsheet and see a bunch of names from people in Minnesota.

Grey Wolf's easier puzzle in Tampa, for example, has boatloads of Minnesota finds. That's due to his challenge, of course, but it strikes me as funny to imagine that dozens of people went to Tampa, to some random wall in a random parking lot, to find the same plastic container:

http://coord.info/GCR6E2
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
Grey Wolf's easier puzzle in Tampa, for example, has boatloads of Minnesota finds. That's due to his challenge, of course, but it strikes me as funny to imagine that dozens of people went to Tampa, to some random wall in a random parking lot, to find the same plastic container:

http://coord.info/GCR6E2

I recently found the Tampa cache and was amazed at all of the Minnesotans that preceded me. And it seems like I've found those darn Esko cards in half the states I've cached in.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love seeing geopencils from home. I've seen Moe the Sleaze's in other states.
PackaDad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
Cool! A simple explanation would be that they are all just following me around. Laughing

So here I am at a meeting miles away in Indianapolis picking up a few puzzles (amongst other caches) and signing the logs almost right after SNB!.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like an excuse for a top ten list...

Top ten reasons you can find Minnesota cachers signatures in logs all over:

10. Most states are downhill from here
9. Minnesotans actually make up 70% of the cachers in the US
8. Someone snuck random Minnesota cachers names on the log templates
7. We have just found all the caches in Minnesota and need to look elsewhere
6. We all just think alike so when out of state we find the same caches
5. MEA weekend just makes it easy to travel
4. Sharknose Bunnies leaves these really tasty lutefisk based breadcrumbs to follow
3. We read each other logs too much
2. We are trying to do the same challenge caches
1. Minnesotans just keep wanting to leave Minnesota
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only cache I found in Virginia, a MN cacher signed the log 2 lines above me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
The one and only cache I found in Virginia, a MN cacher signed the log 2 lines above me.

Who's the lucky cacher?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Who's the lucky cacher?

Someone who is not on this site.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got our first cache in Arizona - a 4/1 puzzle cache. I counted 4 other MN cachers in the log (Pfalstad, FSU*Noles, Pippin and Merry, and dgauss) out of 89 total.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
We just got our first cache in Arizona - a 4/1 puzzle cache. I counted 4 other MN cachers in the log (Pfalstad, FSU*Noles, Pippin and Merry, and dgauss) out of 89 total.

Didn't notice dgauss on that until now.

Yeah several times I've followed other MN cachers or had other MN cachers follow me:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=bb5eab2d-0dd5-4be0-ae35-0c920af49198

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=a5e0f49f-75de-4581-904d-fd771f2c803b

Must be because I do puzzle caches that don't get found very much.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently logged our new "furthest from home" cache (and likely to maintain that status for awhile). We signed right under Ramsey63 who had been there 8 days earlier.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Harney in 2010. If you like to hike you have to find this when you're visiting the Black Hills.

bflentje wrote:
I recently found the Tampa cache and was amazed at all of the Minnesotans that preceded me. And it seems like I've found those darn Esko cards in half the states I've cached in.

I hear this a lot. Usually followed by an expletive. [insert maniacal laugh here]
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
I found Harney in 2010. If you like to hike you have to find this when you're visiting the Black Hills.

bflentje wrote:

I hear this a lot. Usually followed by an expletive. [insert maniacal laugh here]

No expletive from me, I rather enjoy finding them so far from home. Though I often wonder that when you're not geocaching, how much time do you spending laminating. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: