MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MnDOT Rest Areas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: MnDOT Rest Areas Reply with quote

MnDOT has banned geocaching from their rest areas according to their website:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/restareas/policy.html
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we aren't allowed to read their informational signs to do Earthcaches at rest stops? I will have to tell my daughter to forget all that information we learned on those four we did last weekend because it was banned. Rolling Eyes
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MnDot had allowed caching up until now. Does anyone know if existing caches will be grandfathered in, or will the containers all have to be removed?
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the policy is that geocaching is an impermissible activity my assumption is that active caches should be removed. PH, should these caches be immediately disabled by the reviewers?
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this something that the MNGCA board, or a subcommittee, work with the MN DOT on? I think it would be more effective to handle this as an organization.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: MnDOT Rest Areas Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Am I the only one that finds this list just a tad laughable??

Quote:
Examples of impermissible activities include: weddings, worship services, political events, geocaching, hunting, posting of signs or posters, and distribution or exhibition of obscene materials.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this should be something to be discussed with the State as an organization.

Stay tuned...
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MnDOT Rest Areas Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

OMG, now we've become Wisconsin.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even worse: North Dakota! The Peace Garden State has never allowed them, but sometimes cachers placed them anyway!
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, you have become Wisconsin! I like rest area caches when traveling. I've been patiently waiting for the bridge here locally to get done so the rest area would reopen and I can activate a cache there again.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take a moment to take this survey for the MNGCA. We will be gathering responses over the next couple of weeks to gather data to use in discussions with MNDOT. Feel free to share this with others. Thank you,

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GKPX895
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MnDOT Rest Areas Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

OMG, now we've become Wisconsin.

We won't truly become Wisconsin until Governor Dayton is removed from office. Confused
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: MnDOT Rest Areas Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Hmm? To many dead drops of a legal or illegal nature? Wink
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The reason given for the geocaching ban was that the purpose of the rest areas are for driver safety, not recreation, which is a purpose for parks, etc.

With that being said, we've been told the committee which developed this latest policy will be re-convened to consider our request to reverse the policy. The survey that so many of you completed will be a part of their discussion. Because this is a possible change to current policy, the process will take time. Stay tuned....
BobboTeam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Update: The reason given for the geocaching ban was that the purpose of the rest areas are for driver safety, not recreation, which is a purpose for parks, etc.

With that being said, we've been told the committee which developed this latest policy will be re-convened to consider our request to reverse the policy. The survey that so many of you completed will be a part of their discussion. Because this is a possible change to current policy, the process will take time. Stay tuned....

I trust we are in agreement here that this is a ludicrous justification. Does this mean that a driver cannot go for a stroll around a rest area to get some exercise and freshen their minds? For me, nothing makes a long drive safer than when I get out every couple of hours and stretch my legs for a ten minutes or so. Where does "healthy stretching and exercise" end and "recreation" begin? I'd love to see that legal definition.

As a semi-related (comic) side note: I once stopped at a rest area in Iowa on I35 that has only a parking lot with a couple trash cans, and about an acre of fenced grassland. There was a sign on the trashcan that read "This receptacle is for the use of rest area patrons only". This is about a half hour south of Des Moines, and there did happen to have been a geocache hidden there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: