MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFI Jabs Farm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: RFI Jabs Farm Reply with quote

We had hoped to do this one for a big milestone. Circumstances would have us in the area at the right time, but I know the gun deer season has started. I'm unclear from looking at the refuge website if the Mazomani Trail suggested to get there these days is within a hunting area or not. Anyone know? Otherwise we have a back up plan.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: RFI Jabs Farm Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
We had hoped to do this one for a big milestone. Circumstances would have us in the area at the right time, but I know the gun deer season has started. I'm unclear from looking at the refuge website if the Mazomani Trail suggested to get there these days is within a hunting area or not. Anyone know? Otherwise we have a back up plan.

Either way it would not be a rifle shooting area.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. If we aren't going to be mistaken for Bambi, then we'll hit it Sunday or Monday. Thanks!
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said rifles. Shotguns or muzzleloaders? Basically, if people are out there trying to fill their tags, we don't want to disrupt their hunt.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
You said rifles. Shotguns or muzzleloaders? Basically, if people are out there trying to fill their tags, we don't want to disrupt their hunt.

Archery only

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/MN%20Valley%20NWR%20Hunt%20Brochure%2011.3.2015(3).pdf
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the area about a month ago. The most obvious route is still blocked because of the dam washout. I went there because some of the sat photos look like people were trying to ford the washout.

While it looks like it could be forded by people in good physical condition, I decided it was more risk than I was willing to take while hiking alone.

There are alternate routes posted.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reading some logs and the website for the refuge, I thought we could hike from middle road on the Mazomani Trail, about five miles round trip. I don't have live sat maps, so I'm not sure where the dam is/ was in relation to the site. The website shows that route and mentions a closed trail where the bridge was. Ugh!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mountain biked it. I do NOT know if that was legal or not. I did look for signs but don't remember seeing any. Since my kid was with me I am pretty sure I would have made a good effort to not break the law. I am more than willing to be corrected though and would beg for forgiveness if that were the case.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll find out tomorrow. Didn't bring the bikes, since we in Duluth yesterday for a funeral.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At N 44 44.120 W 93 37.164 What looks like a dam in Google Maps looks like a washed out dam in Google Earth...because it is a washed out dam. That's less than 500 feet from Jab's Farm to the north.

If it is passable, it's the shortest route from parking to Jab's Farm. But from Middle Road it should be a non-issue.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we started from Middle Road but turned one way on the trail when we should have gone the other. We had the added adventure of that water crossing, but it wasn't too bad today. Beautiful day to explore and we're glad we unwittingly took the long way. Not a single hunter seen, though it sounded like duck hunters off in the distance to the south.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: