MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cell phone internet access
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Cell phone internet access Reply with quote

OK, so I just found out that with my phone and t-zones (t-mobile) I can go online. How can I use that for geocaching? I think not at all, but I haven't really tried it out much.

They also have a "Sidekick" for data, unlimited at 29.99 a month, but the unit seems pricey. Is this all useless stuff?

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a T-Mobile Sidekick. It's pretty nifty for logging caches from the cache site. The T-Zones stuff... well, good for some things, but unless you want to invest a lot of time learning stuff and doing the research to get the right phone, you likely won't get much out of it.

I do recommend the T-Mobile Sidekick (Danger Hiptop)... excellent for AIM chat, web browsing, e-mail, etc. I pay $20/mo for data service, and tacked onto my regular $30/mo phone plan.

There are also deals currently at Amazon.com where you can get it for $30 after rebates:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A0AZC/bedope/

The one downfall of the hiptop/Sidekick is that they seem to go out more often than most phones and wireless data devices.... T-Mobile has always replaced them for free, though.

I'm also in Danger, Inc.'s Developer Program along with being rather tight with the hiptop community, so if you have any other questions about the hiptop/Sidekick, let me know. If I don't know it, I can get an answer.

-Aaron
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price I was quoted was $299.00

trypnotic79
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:
The price I was quoted was $299.00

If you look at the link that s4xton sent you, it also says $299 as well. Amazon has a $220 rebate and T-mobile has a $50 rebate. You need to buy it from Amazon before 1/26 I believe and in order to qualify for the T-mobile one, you have to activate it within 14 days I believe.

I currently have one ordered with Amazon. They were on backorder but I see that they charged my credit card so they must be getting ready to ship mine.

I also will have the same plan as s4xton. $20 unlimited data + $30 for 300 anytime minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work, so I have to check in and check out quickly. I'll take a good look when I get home. Thanks for the info.

Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:
I'm at work, so I have to check in and check out quickly. I'll take a good look when I get home. Thanks for the info.

I have also been thinking about getting one. Seeing Aaron in action with it is nice! I hate cell phones but I would LOVE being able to surf from anywhere anytime.

Nothing like having your email, AIM, and web right there while your out getting "warm" with your friends Wink Or reloading all the waypoints onto your GPSr while waiting for a tired cacher to drive 21 miles to meet you to do more!

Silent Bob
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have a hard time selling the wife on this one....
after i just bought a clie...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:

Ahh, the joys of being "single" Wink

Silent Bob
trypnotic79
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:

There are ways around that. With me getting a SK, that just meant that the wife was going to get her DKNY duvet cover she's been wanting forever and a day so she was all for the SK. Kitch, just be ready with a counter offer for her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trypnotic79 wrote:
Kitch, just be ready with a counter offer for her.

That counter-offer better not include giving up night caching/drinking trips Wink

Silent Bob
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the "You'll always be able to get ahold of me now, dear" line used too. Wink

Good luck. They are a lot of fun - but on another note, not all portions of geocaching.com work on the hiptop. There was a point where nothing worked on the hiptop and it took a few arguments between Jeremy and I on the forums to get him to fix it.

In the end, it is useful for logging caches and getting cache information, but I wait until I get home to log bugs or to write anything lengthy. Also, the notes feature on it is quite useful for quickly typing in information if you don't want to take the time to log from the cache. Many times I'll type in something like:

"GC1234 Saw Deer Left Bulgarian Lev Took Geocoin" which is enough for me to remember my experience when I log it at home... saves me from having to keep note papers around and the like to keep track of my cache day.

Also, talking about geocaching uses, there have been times where I have directly instant messaged King Boreas from his caches to let him know the condition of his caches...

-Aaron
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, talking about geocaching uses, there have been times where I have directly instant messaged King Boreas from his caches to let him know the condition of his caches...

and I thought that was pretty cool.

Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:

I think it was more useful for getting in touch with people to come drinking with us afterwards Wink

Silent Bob
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
"GC1234 Saw Deer Left Bulgarian Lev Took Geocoin" which is enough for me to remember my experience when I log it at home... saves me from having to keep note papers around and the like to keep track of my cache day.

You mean it's better than my system of writing #s on a map with all the waypoints listed and then randomly skipping writing #11 so I thought I had 20 but only had 19? heh.

Silent Bob
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I want the cable and/or service protection?

leather side pouch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: