MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State park caching during the state shut down
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said on the news last night people are walking into the state park areas and continue enjoy the property we own and pay taxed on.

Who is going to stop you? If the politicians want to play power games that's one thing but we pay for this land and have rights. Personally I think we should use the parks more now than ever. State bike trails are in the same boat but the bikes just keep riding on.
I notice the DNR has not closed boat ramps or public parking areas at the lakes. Why should the parks be any different?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST11 wrote:
They said on the news last night people are walking into the state park areas and continue enjoy the property we own and pay taxed on.

Who is going to stop you? If the politicians want to play power games that's one thing but we pay for this land and have rights. Personally I think we should use the parks more now than ever. State bike trails are in the same boat but the bikes just keep riding on.
I notice the DNR has not closed boat ramps or public parking areas at the lakes. Why should the parks be any different?

Because the parks have "non-essential" staff and boat ramps don't.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind

Last edited by Draconisdax on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Hunter-Killer wrote:
Cascade River was probably the busiest with many people obviously not caring, and using the hiking trails.

Since it's still legal to walk there I think that's what I would have done too if I had planned a vacation to the area...

Quote:
The Rest stop at Cut Face Creek had the barriers moved and vehicles were driving in, but I am sure the washroom facilities would be locked.

The guy that moved the barriers better hope they didn't have a camera that caught that.

+1!

If you do plan on coming up the shore, know that you can park along 61 at certain areas. But, it's just not a good idea for folks to move barriers.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in Minnesota. There are plenty of places where there is no cell phone service and dangers exist. Places that donít have water, bathroom facilities or staff. I value the park staff, but donít need them to keep me safe. Iím more than capable of doing that. A sign saying ďSwim at your own riskĒ would have worked just fine in my eyes. And the cell phone argumentÖreally? How did we ever survive 20 years ago. Lifeguards, naturalists, maintenance staff and the like are all nice to have, but not critical for our survival the way it is being made to sound. Look where people are parking because of the barriers on the north shore. Is that really safer than parking in a parking lot? Iím trying to understand a lock on a door to an outhouse that gets emptied once every other year rather than a sign that says ďBring your own paperĒ. The swimming area was drained to maximize the impact of the shutdown, not to make us safer. Waysides are closed to maximize the impact not make us safer (or is it safer to have all those semiís parked on the side of the interstate rather than the rest stops?). Lots of safety information on the DNR and other state websites, but I canít get to it for some reason. Yes, I know the sites cost money, but the costs are in maintaining the site, not hosting it. My bet is that hosting has been paid through the end of the year.

I realize there are those who want to take their kids swimming but are not capable of acting if something were to happen. Or those who wish to enjoy the outdoors but need the handicap facilities the parks offer. They are the real losers here, and Iím hoping their families and friends, churches and others are stepping up to help them out. But to drain a swimming area and send the kids into the lakes, streams and rivers instead doesnít sound safer to me. Sorry, Iím not really buying the whole ďItís for your own safetyĒ argument.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The State Park and highway rest areas were winterized - not knowing when the shut down will end. There is no one there to watch for broken pipes, or to maintain the paper level. I hadn't thought of the swimming pools, but if there is no one there to maintain the chlorine levels it would get nasty in no time. And with the damage that happened at Afton, I hate to think what would have been possible with a full pool.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
I hate to think what would have been possible with a full pool.

This:
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DFCVr9alzSbo

Laughing
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverSummer wrote:
Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
I hate to think what would have been possible with a full pool.

This:
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DFCVr9alzSbo

Laughing

Never gets old, does it?
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
spinowner wrote:
I have to say that the first thought that occurred to me is: Couldn't one just look for caches not located in state parks?

Yes, they can, but want the parks. What's wrong with that?

Nothing, I suppose. My thought was that if there would be problems associated with caching in the parks (whether that is the case or not is a separate discussion) a solution would be to simply cache elsewhere until the shutdown ends. Thankfully it appears to be a moot point now.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
We live in Minnesota. There are plenty of places where there is no cell phone service and dangers exist. Places that donít have water, bathroom facilities or staff. ....

+1

But you shouldn't expect the shutdown to make sense.. It's about rigid adherence to the law. The law says nonessential services have to be shut down, regardless of whether that costs more money than it saves. It's a rare event so nobody ever worked out how to make it run smoothly. A lot of the details had to be decided by a judge, even to determine what the law requires.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/reopen/index.html better late than never!!
Most, if not all are open; it looks like mowing and trail clearing are some issues, especially with remote hike in only sites.

Peace[/url]
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went past St. Croix State Park on Friday, big sign in front states they are closed due to storm damage. LOTs of trees down.

Also, the St. Croix State Forest is now gated on some roads, sign posted by the DNR that it will remain closed until further notice, assuming that is also related to significat trees down over a lot of the trails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: