MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State park caching during the state shut down
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuxedo Duck
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: State park caching during the state shut down Reply with quote

Are we able to cache in the state parks during the state shut down?
I am planning on going on vacation later this week, and plan on caching on state park lands.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: State park caching during the state shut down Reply with quote

Tuxedo Duck wrote:
Are we able to cache in the state parks during the state shut down?
I am planning on going on vacation later this week, and plan on caching on state park lands.

They say no but they also say they won't stop you. Just don't illegally park.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Will day-use be permitted at state parks during a shutdown?

During shutdown, all facilities are locked, roads and campgrounds are closed and gated where possible. Water is shut off, and no services are available. We strongly advise the public not to enter the grounds of any state park during the shutdown. We are concerned about serious health, safety and security issues if visitors enter parks when there are no restroom facilities, water, and staff available. For example, 911 calls might not be possible due to lack of cell phone coverage.

7. Can I camp in forest campgrounds?

If there is a shutdown, facilities would be locked, roads and campgrounds would be closed and gated where possible, water would be shut off, and no services would be available. It would be possible, but not recommended, for day-use to continue at state parks during regular day-use hours.

-- above taken from http://www.mndnr.gov/shutdown.html with emphasis added by me

All Wildlife Safari caches have been temporarily disabled, but I doubt anyone actually pulled them. Conservation officers are still on the job, and they're supposedly patrolling the parks, but I'm sure they're spread thin as it is.

Like bflentje said, just don't park illegally, and don't drive around barricades, but from the above it appears to be legal to walk in and use the park.

I had originally planned a 5-day camping trip starting this Saturday to clear out 30 parks or so... There went that idea...
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat, I planned a trip up north for next week and with the shutdown I'm looking to make plans elsewhere. Most of what I was going to do was hit the state parks and the caches and take the kids to Itasca while staying in state forest/parks.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted by Per Peterson and Steve Browne, Marshall Independent on July 1st. It talks about being open over the 4th weekend for day use, but I don't see why that wouldn't carry over for any other day during this shutdown:

Camden State Park closed down on Thursday in anticipation of a state government shutdown, but will still be available for day use this Fourth of July weekend.

Park Ranger Lyn Christoffer said park personnel removed all rental boats from Lake Brawner, and campers had to be out of the park by 4 p.m. though the park remained open for day use until 9 p.m.

"At this point we're waiting to see if they arrive at a budget or not," Camden State Park Manager Bill Dinesen said Thursday afternoon. "If they arrive at a budget I'll start calling staffers back and start opening as soon as we can."

Dinesen said even if the Legislature does not arrive at a budget, they might still pass a "lights on" bill temporarily funding certain aspects of state government.

"This is uncharted territory for us," Dinesen said. "In the 110-year history of the state park system this would be the first time they closed."

If the shutdown continues throughout the weekend, day use will be permitted until 9 p.m. but law enforcement personnel will enforce closing hour.

"Day use is OK, but you can't rent anything and you'll have to hike in," Dinesen said.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the above posts mention, it seems you can enter the park for day use on foot or perhaps bicycle without getting in trouble. However, I highly doubt the DNR has continued to stock the caches with critter cards. All that effort of walking in could leave you with an empty cache.

We were talking about this and are really really glad we finished the series last year. It's unfortunate that people with plans to finish the Safari series may not be able to.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard something on MPR last night about entering parks. Not the best idea while shut down after all of the vandalism. But, there won't be anyone to stop you but local law enforcement.

The bottom line the woman said about day use was that you assume all risks, as there are no staff members there to look out for you.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another item to consider is that if you need to travel on any mowed grass trails, they may be very difficult to navigate by now. It's only going to get worse too.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Water is shut off, and no services are available. We strongly advise the public not to enter the grounds of any state park during the shutdown. We are concerned about serious health, safety and security issues if visitors enter parks when there are no restroom facilities, water, and staff available.

Sounds dangerous!! Cool
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another drawback I thought of as I was driving by North Shore parks was that the hikes to some of the caches can be tripled or worse if you park on the nearest legal spot.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We noticed on the weekend that several State Parks along highway 61 had vehicles parked along the side of the highway. Cascade River was probably the busiest with many people obviously not caring, and using the hiking trails. The Rest stop at Cut Face Creek had the barriers moved and vehicles were driving in, but I am sure the washroom facilities would be locked.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
Cascade River was probably the busiest with many people obviously not caring, and using the hiking trails.

Since it's still legal to walk there I think that's what I would have done too if I had planned a vacation to the area...

Quote:
The Rest stop at Cut Face Creek had the barriers moved and vehicles were driving in, but I am sure the washroom facilities would be locked.

The guy that moved the barriers better hope they didn't have a camera that caught that.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article in the St. Paul Pioneer Press today detailed the woes and issues with the state parks. Seems folks are leaving trash and making other "ahem" messes as they use the park. Gooseberry and others had changes made for parking issues.
Still trying to decide where to go on vacation this next week, one hand I'd love to take the family to Itasca and the north shore but after reading the article today I think I'll pass on that to allow the family to enjoy the parks as they should be. Looking at Michigan's U.P. now.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the first thought that occurred to me is: Couldn't one just look for caches not located in state parks?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I have to say that the first thought that occurred to me is: Couldn't one just look for caches not located in state parks?

Yes, they can, but want the parks. What's wrong with that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: