MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bike Caching lessons learned
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Bike Caching lessons learned Reply with quote

I finally went out on a short caching biking outing and had a great time. But I did learn a few lessons.

1. Bring lots of water
2. Don't get all the caches going one direction, get half going one way, then the other half coming back (splits up the breaks)
3. If you wear glasses, bring your sunglasses and your regular ones. When you start searching your sunglasses will hamper your ability to see in dark places.
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This will defiently help me! We had a very interesting trip on the Luce Line a few weeks back...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you're on the Cannon Valley Trail, BRING A FLASHLIGHT. Wink
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Caching lessons learned Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
2. Don't get all the caches going one direction, get half going one way, then the other half coming back (splits up the breaks)

I have found it easiest to bike all the way to one end and cache back. Then you get half of the biking out of the way and get even more frequent stops on the way back.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to find them all in one direction, that way if I can't find it the first time I have the rest of the trip to think of where it could be. And in the rare occasion I find them all on the first try, I then get a nice relaxing ride back to the hoopty....that's how I roll

Edited for predictive text...and fat fingers
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Caching lessons learned Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:

I have found it easiest to bike all the way to one end and cache back. Then you get half of the biking out of the way and get even more frequent stops on the way back.

That's exactly how I road cruise. That way, if you get tired, hurt, exhausted, or just plain bored, you got the furthest away ones done. Next trip would be closer to home (or parking), in theory.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfromwillow wrote:
I try to find them all in one direction, that way if I can't find it the first time I have the rest of the trip to think of where it could be. And in the rare occasion I find them all on the first try, I then get a nice relaxing ride back to the hoopty....that's how I roll

I just did the Wall Trail series that way - there was a couple I thought I'd have to come back for, but I spotted them just as I was about to give up. One word of warning if you're headed North or West on that trail - when people drive up to the main road on the side streets and they want to make a right turn, they only look left for cars, but don't look right to see if anyone is on a bike on the trail. After I nearly got mowed down once, I made sure I had eye contact with the driver of the car before I crossed.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Caching lessons learned Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:

That's exactly how I road cruise. That way, if you get tired, hurt, exhausted, or just plain bored, you got the furthest away ones done. Next trip would be closer to home (or parking), in theory.

That's a great idea... the classic problem with any bike trip.. no matter how far you go, you always have to go just as far back
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Caching lessons learned Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:

That's a great idea... the classic problem with any bike trip.. no matter how far you go, you always have to go just as far back

shuttle service.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Caching lessons learned Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:

shuttle service.

Are you volunteering?
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike Caching lessons learned Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:

shuttle service.

Circular route.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to ride my motorcycle down the trail - the states closed who will catch me?

Is it just me or do they put nails in bicycle seats? Sad
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock your bike.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dug my old mountain bike out of the basement and dusted it off. Did the Wall Trail a couple of weeks ago, and did a 12 mile non-caching trip on Saturday. I no longer have to look at it with guilt whenever I walk past it.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST11 wrote:
Is it just me or do they put nails in bicycle seats? Sad

If your are a casual bike rider your saddle will feel that way. Laughing
Of course, I pedal my bike more than the average person. Wink
That being said, it took me 10-15 saddles before I found one that was just right. Anything by WTB is good in my book.
Of course, like anything else there's a break in period. More saddle time ='s less pain down below!!! Shocked

I also agree that riding a loop is much more enjoyable than ride out and back along a flat non woods trail...... AKA paved trail.
It's like anything else in life.......... you get out of it what you put into it!!!

Pedal on!!!!

Peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: