MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puzzle solutions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Puzzle solutions Reply with quote

OK, so I have a question about puzzle solutions. I should mention that I use gsak to manage my PQ and to send the caches to my gps.

So when you solve a puzzle, do you add the final as a child waypoint, or do you set the final as the caches coordinates.

I've seen mention of both these methods and I am wondering what people recommend (I have an Oregon 450).
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the right mouse menu, I select "Corrected Coordinates..." and enter the final there, which is much quicker, plus you can add a column to the view to see what caches have corrected coordinates. Also you can filter on that, so you can pick out only solved or unsolved puzzles.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
From the right mouse menu, I select "Corrected Coordinates..." and enter the final there, which is much quicker, plus you can add a column to the view to see what caches have corrected coordinates. Also you can filter on that, so you can pick out only solved or unsolved puzzles.

That seems to make so much more sense than keeping the final as a child.

Thanks.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Thanks.

And if you have it set correct when you add a new PQ on top of it, your corrected coords will remain, but you will get updated logs of the new PQ.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Thanks.

And if you have it set correct when you add a new PQ on top of it, your corrected coords will remain, but you will get updated logs of the new PQ.

First off. let me say that works so much better.

And second, how do I set it right so it won't get overwritten?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Thanks.

First off. let me say that works so much better.

Corrected coords shouldn't get overwritten as long as you aren't deleting your database before importing new PQ files.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:

I didn't know you could set it wrong...? Is it getting overwritten?
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using GSAK? If so there is a check box in the middle of the entry screen that allows you to lock the coords into place.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
Are you using GSAK? If so there is a check box in the middle of the entry screen that allows you to lock the coords into place.

It took me a minute to figure out which screen you're on, Ron.

I'm guessing you're on the "edit current waypoint" screen?

The easier way (in my opinion anyway) is to right click on the line of the waypoint you want, then select "corrected coordinates" (about in the middle of the menu). This keeps the old coordinates, but "corrects" them so when you print the page or upload the waypoint to your GPS you get the "correct" ones.

Once you do that you don't need to worry about loosing them unless you delete the waypoint.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a test, and just loading my PQ files didn't cause any problems. I actually have a backup macro I use to copy all the solved, found, placed caches from my default database to a backup one when I want to do a full reload clearing out the old data.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've had the same "Solved Puzzles" GSAK database since October. It obviously grows and shrinks as I solve and find puzzles. I do maintain a complete GSAK backup on a different physical drive it case it all goes wonky, but nothing's gone wrong yet.

I also recommend moving caches from your "Solved Puzzles" database to your "My Finds" database when you find them. The Corrected Coordinates will be retained as you update the DB with your "My Finds" PQ. The benefit is that you get to keep the corrected coordinates, which in certain parts of town *cough*GoldenValley*cough* can aid in potential brute-forcing efforts.

I <3 GSAK. Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
For what it's worth, I've had the same "Solved Puzzles" GSAK database since October. It obviously grows and shrinks as I solve and find puzzles. I do maintain a complete GSAK backup on a different physical drive it case it all goes wonky, but nothing's gone wrong yet.

I also recommend moving caches from your "Solved Puzzles" database to your "My Finds" database when you find them. The Corrected Coordinates will be retained as you update the DB with your "My Finds" PQ. The benefit is that you get to keep the corrected coordinates, which in certain parts of town *cough*GoldenValley*cough* can aid in potential brute-forcing efforts.

I <3 GSAK. Very Happy

This gets into a much bigger topic, but I just use one database, which makes it easier as I don't have to move things around between them. *Everything* goes into one database, and I don't delete *anything* (which has come in useful for a KB challenge once or twice I think).

The only copying I do, or work with other databases, is for planning trips.
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I keep my solved, found and unsolved puzzles in one GSAK database and when I am ready to download to my GPSr, I run a macro called
FilterAvailableAndSolved.gsk
It filters on the "corrected coordinates" and filters out the unsolved and found caches. I keep the found ones in the database so I have a record for if people ask me how I solved something.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
JJnTJ wrote:

I <3 GSAK. Very Happy

This gets into a much bigger topic, but I just use one database, which makes it easier as I don't have to move things around between them. *Everything* goes into one database, and I don't delete *anything* (which has come in useful for a KB challenge once or twice I think).

The only copying I do, or work with other databases, is for planning trips.

same here.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask a question too? I load my caches to my Oregon 450 using a PQ for non-puzzles, and for my puzzles I filter my GSAK unfound puzzle caches with corrected coordinates and export a GPX file, also to my Oregon 450.

It seems that if I have the same cache in both my PQ and my GSAK the coordinates in the PQ take precedence, and I end up with the published coords in my Oregon. Do you find this too? So to work aroud this, when I run a PQ, I select all types except puzzles, so I don't overlay my corrected coords. This becomes a problem when there are no corrected coords, such as solve-in-the-field types of caches, or like a challenge cache where once you meet the criteria, you go to the published coords. If I am uncharacteristically organized, and notice a cache like this in advance, I will just change the corrected coords in GSAK to reflect the published coords. But often I miss many. So then when I'm out caching, I don't have these puzzles loaded.

Does anyone else have a better way to do this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: