MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "ideal" geocache
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just laughed out loud at the irony of one of the above posts. Laughing
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about this reading the gc.com forum.

I've found many caches across the country that are made awesome by the location.

So, first of all is the PLACE.

From there, the variables come in to play....
Cool location and a micro? Better have a good hint or a clear hidey hole
Cool location and a margerine container with junk inside? Not so much

Once the good location (that is a variable in itself) is used for a hide, a cache is great if it: seals out the weather, has a signable log, and is in good condition.

Good container choice keeps the maintenance visits down. Maintenance visits keep the cache in good order. Well written descriptions and attributes used with an applicable hint (<-that's a biggie) make the find possible.

Place. Good container. Good log. Good condition. Good swag.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A puzzle cache! One that's not ridiculously simple or just busy work or one where I have to guess what the puzzle maker was thinking without any clues. A puzzle cache that makes you think until you get that 'a ha!' feeling and all the pieces come into place and you realize - "ohhhh, now that was clever"!

A puzzle with a geochecker to confirm the only solution, not one where the geochecker is needed to weed out a bunch of right answers.

Bonuses:
That has a few steps
That has something unique or in which I learn something new
With cool (pfalstadian?) twist
In a fun & unique location
With a cool container
And is a cache even *I* can find

Super Unrealistic Bonus:
A FTF for me
...in the middle of Puzzle Valley
...with pfalstad & candcfamily in town
...that gets me inside access to Lambeau Field and/or the Playboy Mansion
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After caching this week around Bemidji, I can't explain it, but I'm adding a large logbook to my list. There's something about signing in on a larger book that is appealing to me.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bemidji has some great caches and great cachers!!
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bemidji so far has been my favorite place to cache.. the creativity that goes into those caches makes it all worth it. Heading back up there this weekend, getting the new ones near Pennington. I like caches, nicely hidden not too far off a trail. Not too much bushwacking. Caches that bring me near interesting and scenic areas. Of course I like the ones I can find... I hate walking in > half a mile and not finding the cache.. OR the cache is wet and smelly. I like the ones up in dem tree's too - as long as I don't need gear to climb.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Ideal cache Reply with quote

Behind a sparkling waterfall where I have to swim over in a deep green pool overhung by ferns and reach through the flowing water to find, with smooth sunny granite boulders nearby to haul out on and sign the log, in the deep woods yet bugless, in a park I never knew existed with absolutely no other inhabitants or observers, using a sturdy container at least the size of my fist, that is camouflaged to look like nature but still obvious to a cacher and full of cool personal geocoins and tags I can admire, with abundant in-season prickerless raspberry bushes.
Wildflower82
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal cache Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Behind a sparkling waterfall where I have to swim over in a deep green pool overhung by ferns and reach through the flowing water to find, with smooth sunny granite boulders nearby to haul out on and sign the log, in the deep woods yet bugless, in a park I never knew existed with absolutely no other inhabitants or observers, using a sturdy container at least the size of my fist, that is camouflaged to look like nature but still obvious to a cacher and full of cool personal geocoins and tags I can admire, with abundant in-season prickerless raspberry bushes.

Very Happy
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team_geomonkey wrote:
Bemidji so far has been my favorite place to cache.. the creativity that goes into those caches makes it all worth it.

Bemidji was great. All the cachers in that area put out some quality caches, especially around the Migizi Trail at Cass Lake. We are greatfull that "The Hipster" kept emailing us with updates and info for our trip to the area. God rest his soul. Fun and beautiful place.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking about Bemidji area for our family vacation in a couple weeks, but now thinking of staying over in Wis. as some of the spots I wanted to visit that way are/maybe closed.
I was going to start a thread closer to our vacation asking about caches that way.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems not long ago (I suppose it has been years) it seems there was a thread here BEGGING people to place some caches in Bemidji to get the locals into the game, as the area was geocache vacant. How a few people can effect an area.

Oh, I'm pretty sure we are off the topic of the ideal geocache.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://coord.info/GCMNPJ

close to mws as possible. (minus parking fee)

pretty much same as everyone else nice hike nice scenic spot.

(why aren't there more caches like this if everyone likes them? Cool )
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my standards lower...all I want is time with Friends...DNF or Find...as long it is some time with people other than the voices in my head...
...Heck...after a hectic week working with people...even some time alone to introduce myself with the voices in my head is good too...
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing beforehand GZ was a steel bridge and the cache happened to be magnetic nano. I usually just load GPSr and hit the trail. No pre-read of the cache pages. At GZ, the first place I stuck my hand in and immediately felt the little bugger. You've got to be kidding me! Signed log and purchased a couple of powerball tickets on the drive home to celebrate my most "ideal cache" found it so far. Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I research caches is when I am planning a road cruise or if some specifically mentions a cool cache that must be found. Beyond that, I am almost always caching blind.. which is one reason why I feel no obligation to the reserved FTF crowd (sorry RLK, really, no offence).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: