MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "ideal" geocache
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: The "ideal" geocache Reply with quote

While driving home today, my mind wandered a little bit about what I thought the "ideal" geocache was. I realized that my ideal cache is not what others think it is.

What is your "ideal" geocache like? Realize that there is no right or wrong answer here - some like P&Gs, others like 5 mile hikes. I'm not looking for a particular cache (although if you want to mention one that's fine), but more the concept.

My ideal cache - one that I like the most:

Would be something that has easy parking, perhaps a small gravel parking area

A posted trail that's either mowed or gravel

With a hike somewhere between a quarter and half mile, something in the woods (I love pine forests), not on an old RR grade (I like the turns in the trail)

The container would be an ammo can or something else that's very waterproof and of considerable size

The logbook would consist of a larger tablet - something that you can write more than just TFTC or sign your name in (gone I think are the days of writing significant information in a logbook)

What's your "ideal" like?
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The "ideal" geocache Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
While driving home today, my mind wandered a little bit about what I thought the "ideal" geocache was. I realized that my ideal cache is not what others think it is.

What is your "ideal" geocache like? Realize that there is no right or wrong answer here - some like P&Gs, others like 5 mile hikes. I'm not looking for a particular cache (although if you want to mention one that's fine), but more the concept.

My ideal cache - one that I like the most:

Would be something that has easy parking, perhaps a small gravel parking area

A posted trail that's either mowed or gravel

With a hike somewhere between a quarter and half mile, something in the woods (I love pine forests), not on an old RR grade (I like the turns in the trail)

The container would be an ammo can or something else that's very waterproof and of considerable size

The logbook would consist of a larger tablet - something that you can write more than just TFTC or sign your name in (gone I think are the days of writing significant information in a logbook)

What's your "ideal" like?

pretty much like yours, except about a mile hike into the woods, no mosquitoes, and findable once you are there.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to suck up here but I also like to have a nice reasonably difficult puzzle to stew over for a few days before I head for the cache. Linus GC12Q3N is nice. A decent hike with the boys on a trail that is just rough enough that it is not like walking down the street but not so rough that I have to wonder who is gonna break an ankle first. All in all an over all great experience.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found about 8 of my ideal cache today!

My ideal cache is a challenge to get to, generally terrains greater than 4. I tend to stop having fun when searching for difficult (sometimes annoying) hides, but I would rather hike 5 miles up a hill with a rocky, rustic foot path for one cache than find 100 1.5/1.5 caches. The more sore and exhausted I am when I return to the car, the better. I especially enjoy climbing to high tree caches with my rock climbing equipment and using boats instead of ice.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonGerth wrote:
Not trying to suck up here but I also like to have a nice reasonably difficult puzzle to stew over for a few days before I head for the cache. Linus GC12Q3N is nice. A decent hike with the boys on a trail that is just rough enough that it is not like walking down the street but not so rough that I have to wonder who is gonna break an ankle first. All in all an over all great experience.

I think that was the only one I gave up on...still have to go get Pigpen, as my son wiped out on his dirtbike to the 2nd stage and I had to ditch it then so I could push the bike back out.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with the original post and add a couple more things. The cache being at a nice scenic spot, Also wouldn't mind it being a multi in the same circumstances.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine would be a non-DNF Smile
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with OP but would emphasize findable by me!
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
I found about 8 of my ideal cache today!

My ideal cache is a challenge to get to, generally terrains greater than 4. I tend to stop having fun when searching for difficult (sometimes annoying) hides, but I would rather hike 5 miles up a hill with a rocky, rustic foot path for one cache than find 100 1.5/1.5 caches. The more sore and exhausted I am when I return to the car, the better. I especially enjoy climbing to high tree caches with my rock climbing equipment and using boats instead of ice.

I am with Bunganator on this one.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: The "ideal" geocache Reply with quote

A moderate workout to get to the cache, with something of historical or geological interest at the end. Make the cache findable, yet make me look a little for it. Scenic places make the cache most memorable. I found White Sky Rock this weekend, which fit the bill nicely, although the fog of the day cut down the view.
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permission obtained. Available without a fee either to a private corporation or a public department. No tricks to fool landowners or prevent others from playing. No mechanical fasteners or adhesives. The initial hide did not modify the area in any significant or irreversible way. Not on or under a bridge of any kind. An urban traditional micro, nothing large enough to hold anything beyond a log, "not a garbage can in the woods".

Maybe my ideal cache could be summed up as ethical beyond the requirements or one that tells me that this hider is a role model.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Parking and starting point identified by hider

* easy to follow trail that has interesting curves, dips, hills, etc (distance from parking to cache between .25 miles and 2.5 miles)

* gorgeous scenery

* nice and quiet

* reasonable expectation of not seeing anybody so I can let the dog run off leash especially when I'm actively searching (I know, bad me. The dog behaves and stays close, but I know some people don't like seeing that)

* container should be sturdy and remain dry - doesn't need to be so big the finding is real easy, but I really don't like finger size or smaller.

* I like the bonus of having it being a cache that has some extra significance (historical, an old cache - better yet oldest cache in state for instance, APE etc)

* * * It would be great to have the cache owner sitting at the hide, ready to offer a congratulatory cold beer once the quest has been achieved.

* * * * The cache container should contain a voucher good for a free hour long massage at a reputable place.
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that congratulatory beer part, especially on a warm summer day.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a cache that has me thanking the CO for bringing me to the location as I walk away. If itís a fun/unique container, thatís icing on the cake.
pinkmonkey2
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a mile hike/walk in the woods FINDABLE is definately the result wanted. I also agree that if there is something historical or interesting to see the better, or an interesting cache container or hide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: