MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocacher Facebook Names

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Geocacher Facebook Names Reply with quote

I think any geocacher who friends another geocacher on Facebook should be required to include a personal note with the friend request identifying their geocaching name. On a related note, does anybody know who a Facebook user named "Geocachers NewmanFun" is? I have this crazy suspicion they might be a geocacher.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocacher Facebook Names Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
I think any geocacher who friends another geocacher on Facebook should be required to include a personal note with the friend request identifying their geocaching name. On a related note, does anybody know who a Facebook user named "Geocachers NewmanFun" is? I have this crazy suspicion they might be a geocacher.

I don't typically friend geocachers any more unless I know them better than a couple of forum posts or emails. It was getting to the point that FB was turning into some sort of numbers game (!), so I changed my strategy a little to include people that I know a little bit more than an email or two (even if I haven't met them yet).

Thus I ignored the request from Mr. NewmanFun. Wink
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocacher Facebook Names Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

NewmanFun? Smile

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=1c607eb1-3e08-40b2-828d-7a6ce116f0be
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocacher Facebook Names Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
NewmanFun? Smile

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=1c607eb1-3e08-40b2-828d-7a6ce116f0be

Guess I failed that puzzle.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This puzzle is solved. I used a PAF.

Newman fun was at the WNC I hosted last week and came with TonkaMN. I called TonkaMN and asked him about Newman fun. TonkaMN is caching now and ask me to post this.

He said Newman fun is a very good friend of his and the facebook invites were his idea. That's all just facebook invites and nothing more. There is nothing to worry about. Thanks

Edited to add: I do feel that a persons real name and caching name should be used on facebook. I know mine are.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got a friend request from Newmanfun and I know for a fact that I've never met the guy. Or even emailed with him for that matter. While I admit to loving cache numbers, I am not into FB numbers at all. Though I am a bit more liberal in who I will friend than Pearhead, I'd like to at least meet him first so I ignored the request.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually ignore friend requests from geocachers unless I've met the person or at least emailed them or found one of their caches or have heard of them.. Something.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all my fault. I apologize if i caused any concern. Rob is a good friend of mine and he is new to geocaching. After he met a bunch of you at WNC last week I made a bunch of friend suggestions on facebook. Blame me, not him. He is a great guy and nobody should worry about friending him on facebook.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
This is all my fault. I apologize if i caused any concern. Rob is a good friend of mine and he is new to geocaching. After he met a bunch of you at WNC last week I made a bunch of friend suggestions on facebook. Blame me, not him. He is a great guy and nobody should worry about friending him on facebook.

Personally it doesn't cause me any concern at all, I just don't usually add people that I don't know, especially those that don't use their real name. I just click "Not now" or whatever it is the button says and move on. Smile
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocacher Facebook Names Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

Actually...I do that already!!!
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
I usually ignore friend requests from geocachers unless I've met the person or at least emailed them or found one of their caches or have heard of them.. Something.

Ah...that explains it...no one wants to actually know me...I can't blame them...I don't want to know me either!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:

I would not describe it as a concern. I just don't know the dude. If I were to meet him or correspond with him, I would not hesitate to FB friend. I share Pfalstad's philosophy. Don't sweat it on my account.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Ah...that explains it...no one wants to actually know me...I can't blame them...I don't want to know me either!!!

I ONLY know you as Archer. If you friend requested me with your real name, I would not know you from Adam. Especially if you don't allow non-friend picture viewing.

With that said, I admit up front that about a quarter of the cachers I correspond with I only know from their caching name. If you FB friend request me, send a note with your caching name AND allow non-friends to view photographs so I can put the face with the name.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:

I second what Pear Head and bflentje said. No reason to apologize. I also like to know who people are before accepting friend requests, but wasn't concerned or anything. That being said, this one was a little weird, because I asked about six people by Facebook chat who NewmanFun was, and nobody knew, even though they'd all accepted the friend request. I thought a post here might be the only way to figure this mystery out. Smile
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
allow non-friends to view photographs so I can put the face with the name.

As those cachers who are also my Facebook friends can attest - my photo doesn't help. I have learned to always include my cache name when friending cachers. It's also helped me learn people's real names. Sometimes it's just better to be able to use someone's real name in conversation - or a PAF list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: