MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon 450/550 GPSr
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Oregon 450/550 GPSr Reply with quote

OK. I'm really thinking about upgrading my GPSr to one of the Oregon models but I have a question about loading caches and paperless caching.

Currently I have the Magellan Explorist GC (I'll wait while you get done groaning). They designed it for geocaching and it will hole 10,000 geocaches (with all their detail) and 2,000 waypoints. I really like that, because I can keep all the caches in a 30 mile radius from home in it so if I am out and about I know I will have them in there.

From what I can read the Oregon series will only hold 2,000 caches. But it also sounds like it has a micro SD card, which I assume lets you load moe GPX files, but how are they loaded into the interface?

Again, using my GC as the point of reference, where I go in a 30 mile radius, it will always show me the nearest caches out of the 7,000 I keep loaded.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oregon 300 and 400 can hold 2,000 caches, while the 450/550 can hold 5,000.

The GPX files have to be loaded in a certain directory in the onboard memory (I don't believe you can put it on the SD card). The SD card is more for maps. With OpenStreetMap, I've got the entire US on my SD card, and the best part - it's free!

The main difference between x00 and x50 models is a camera. If this is not important, you may wish to consider the x00.

Personally I have an Oregon 300, and I love the thing. Works well for what I need it to do. Would it be nice to load more caches on it? Sure, but I paid a lot less for this one. When I get outside the range of my pocket queries, I just pull out my smart phone Smile

More info: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:

Are you sure about that? I thought the 550 could only hold 2,000.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always store more caches as waypoints (practically unlimited), though you don't get the paperless caching benefits. I was checking Cabelas to see if they still had the bundle deal on a Dakota 20 (that I bought). They don't, but they do have the Oregon 450 for $349, which seems to be a pretty good deal.
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabelas Memorial Day Sale (starting May 19th) flyer has the 450T at 299 and the Dakota 20 at 199.99. These will also be online at those prices.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some load caches as Points of Interest (google "garmin poi loader") to get past the cache limit of their Garmin. I've never done it but I love my 60Cx and wouldn't upgrade to a Colorado or Oregon unless it was free. Even then, I'd still probably use the 60.

qwerty2582 wrote:

The GPX files have to be loaded in a certain directory in the onboard memory (I don't believe you can put it on the SD card). The SD card is more for maps. With OpenStreetMap, I've got the entire US on my SD card, and the best part - it's free!

qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
qwerty2582 wrote:

Are you sure about that? I thought the 550 could only hold 2,000.

Thought I'd heard it from someone with a 550 before... and verified through http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching (which has been pretty reliable for me) but since I don't have one, I can't validate myself of course. Someone with a 550 chime in?
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 400t. I put all my caches on the SD card because I've never figured out how to delete caches out of the memery.

I have 2 SD cards, one for caches in town and one for caches out of town, that way I have less caches to scroll threw.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swfan wrote:
I have a 400t. I put all my caches on the SD card because I've never figured out how to delete caches out of the memery.

I have 2 SD cards, one for caches in town and one for caches out of town, that way I have less caches to scroll threw.

How many caches can you fit on the microSD card?

The caches normally go in the GPX folder. You can just go in and delete everything out of there to get rid of the old caches.
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
swfan wrote:

How many caches can you fit on the microSD card?

The caches normally go in the GPX folder. You can just go in and delete everything out of there to get rid of the old caches.

It's usually between 120 and 190. I've never really maxed it out.

Any caches I load into the GPS memory doesn't show up in the GPX folder. All the caches on the SD card show up in the GPX file though.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I know some load caches as Points of Interest (google "garmin poi loader") to get past the cache limit of their Garmin.

I use the POI loader. I can have thousands in my 76, along with decoded hints, D/T, who owns the cache, last 4 logs (found or DNF). And I can read the screen in sunlight. Most of the time.
jerpete
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REI has the 62s on sale right now for $279.99, might be another option.

http://www.rei.com/product/805907/garmin-gpsmap-62s-gps
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put the GPX on the sd card and the 450 will see it as long as it is in a gpx folder, I think I have had more than 5000 on the card and had it still work. It's just a drag and drop to load them.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. that's that I guess. Just left REI with a branch new 450.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
Well.. that's that I guess. Just left REI with a branch new 450.

I mean... what... that old thing. I've had that forever. You've just probably never noticed it before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: