MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allow log or delete them
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Allow log or delete them Reply with quote

Question for all out there.
what do you do when you have a family of cachers decide to go out on their own. I mean if you have a father and a son caching under one name and the find a bunch of caches and then the son goes and creates his own account. He then logs his findsunder his new name saying he found them earlier with xxxxxx. now do you let him log it as a find under his new account or delete them. since it says you have to find the cache and sign the log. he found the cache earlier and it was logged under the first account, but now he logs it under geocaching.com but he has not signed the cache log.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens from time to time. Normally I just let it be as they were actually there they just created their own account. I know who you are talking about and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have gotten SEVERAL emails about them logging a lot of my caches in the past week or so.

It would be different if you had some one say "I found this cache quite a while back (2-3 years) and am just logging it now. In this instance if they weren't referring to some other group of cachers then I would look more into this and verify the logs in the actual caches.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with it at all. You have no way of knowing which caches were found by both and which may have been found by one or the other. It's their record, there is evidence that they found the cache.

This happens a lot more often than you might think.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the way I would look at it:

The cacher found the cache and was present for the logbook signing so it's a find.

The same argument could be made in cases where users change names (TheGilby3, dachebo, etc.) as their new name isn't in the logbook. The same argument can also be made if the cacher didn't actually sign their own name (often when caching in a group someone else may sign my name while I watch).

I think it's about intent of the guidelines here, which is that the person found the cache.

Last edited by Pear Head on Mon May 09, 2011 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The log stands. It's not like the following log where I WOULD delete it..

Found It
"I was out geocaching. I found the cache but there's no way I am climbing that tree just for a stupid smiley."
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So funny! Liked this one alot! Didn't sign the log book bc I couldn't get the thing out! Oh well great hide! I let this one slide last week because the hider only has 38 finds. The cache is easily viewed but difficult to retrieve, similar to tree hides.

I struggle with this one however. The log is simply a dot . and the log book was not signed. This cacher has 5721 finds. If there is a good reason for not signing the log, explain it to me and Ill let it slide, but I find this insulting.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I struggle with this one however. The log is simply a dot . and the log book was not signed. This cacher has 5721 finds. If there is a good reason for not signing the log, explain it to me and Ill let it slide, but I find this insulting.

I wouldn't hesitate to delete one like that...
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a young nephew who lives in So. Dakota. I opened an account for him a few months ago. We have found a few since. But Im going to log the caches we found together before this account happened. I can only hope the So. Dakota cachers are kind enough to let his finds stand.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

I have deleted that person's logs in the past, too. It's too bad that the person doesn't realize that this is a game and that it is supposed to be done for enjoyment. At least the rest of us enjoy searching for hours for those evil hides of yours, ruderat Wink
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

Was it a lampskirt or a blinky? He doesn't like those, doesn't bother to sign them, and doesn't care if you delete his logs. Not sure why else he would log a ".".
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
I have a young nephew who lives in So. Dakota. I opened an account for him a few months ago. We have found a few since. But Im going to log the caches we found together before this account happened. I can only hope the So. Dakota cachers are kind enough to let his finds stand.

I think as long as you note the circumstances in the log that you'd be fine.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
RudeRat wrote:

Was it a lampskirt or a blinky? He doesn't like those, doesn't bother to sign them, and doesn't care if you delete his logs. Not sure why else he would log a ".".

With blinkies I sometimes feel the same way.. but in the end, I give it my "B".
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fits right in with my family, my oldest son has logged a few caches along the way but only when he "feels" like it. He probably has over a 1,000 finds with me or us as a family and completed some of the more interesting caches in the area but if you look at his profile and finds he only has a 100 at most. Most of the local cachers know that he goes with me and has done them along with me so if they ever get a log from him they'll know he probably finally got the "urge" to log them.

Same goes for my oldest daughter who has her own account now, she'll be harder to figure out which ones she's tagged along on though. My youngest two want their own account but they can hardly spell yet but those two have done their fair share.

I do have a rule for the kids, no logging a cache or claiming a find if they just sit in the vehicle, they have to actively search to claim a find.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much took the stand earlier as now in that it would take a lot for me to delete any logs.
That being said I just did that tonight as a finder decided to enter opinion on how the cache was hid and what it was hid in. (container type)
I do have a mild problem with "opinions" and over doing hints. I very nicely told the finder to please re-log the find and just omit the over the top opinions and hints. The person was a new user so this is to be expected and I certainly tried to be as gracious as possible.
I think in order to keep things fun a person just needs to be gentle and understanding but at the same time as a cache hider we do expect some compliance and respect.
It's a game and certainly not something one should get to wound up in. If push comes to shove I will give in and let it go.
I see many group finds and family deals as mentioned and I really don't take any stand on it - as long as they don't give away to much I will let anything go - Usually that is Confused
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addressing the specific original question: absolutely allow the new finds. It was found by that cacher even though he didn't have an account at that time. This is no different than someone caching for the first time and making a find before the account was established. It still counts.
Regarding the more general discussion into which this thread has evolved about what should be allowed and what should be deleted: The cache owner is the dictator of his or her cache page and should delete anything he or she feels is unacceptable. I once read a log in which a cacher claimed a find on a missing cache because he found the bit of velcro the cache had been attached to. He asserted that it wasn't his fault the cache had gone missing so he was entitled to the find. The CO allowed it but deleted my note (which I posted as a note, not a find) that since I read about where the cache was that I should be entitled to a find too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: