MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTF--more later
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: FTF--more later Reply with quote

I am seeing more and more of these since smartphones have become mainstream geocaching tools. I you MUST post a temp log (and there is really no reason for it that I can see) at least, when you post your final log, delete the brief one and post a new one so that the cache owner will see the email notification. We do not get notifications on edited logs.

Thanks.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else asked as well... Here
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
I am seeing more and more of these since smartphones have become mainstream geocaching tools. I you MUST post a temp log (and there is really no reason for it that I can see) at least, when you post your final log, delete the brief one and post a new one so that the cache owner will see the email notification. We do not get notifications on edited logs.

Thanks.

Here's a reason you might think about doing it. I have, on two occasions, seen where someone (not 100% sure who - maybe you, maybe labguy, maybe someone else, but they used a dog head avatar) signed the log just before I did, but 15 days later had not logged it on the computer. It is a very reliable way of not missing a log when you've had a number of finds in a single day.

Having said that, I don't use a smart phone and that's the only reason I don't do it myself.

Austin
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:

Thanks.

Posting a temporary log ensures that the log will be first in line on the cache page. If the original log is deleted and there are other logs that have been posted for that day a new log will not be at the bottom of the page. I suspect that most people would not want to lose their position. All the CO (or anyone watching the cache) needs to do is just look at the cache page.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people really THAT concerned that their log has to be the first one (or really the last one seen cause you have to scroll down?) Who cares?? You found a cache, no one else had signed the log isn't that enough? And as far as the logs being temporary logs or permanent ones or resident alien work visa status logs, again who cares?? I have a cache in Moscow that occasionally gets logged in Cyrillic, or German, or who knows what language. I don't really care that I can't read it unless Google goes and translates it for me, which only happens on the page itself, not the emails. (Same thing with all our TB's floating around Europe) I just know it was found, and really that's all I need to know.
If you're getting that worked up about your hobby you might want to find either a hobby from your hobby or a good therapist, cause really there's about a trillion more important issues out there.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Who cares??

If you see how few FTF's I have, you'll know I don't. In fact, I don't care enough even to have a premium membership. I was simply guessing that those who feel (for whatever reason) that being FTF is highly important are also likely to feel that having their FTF log in that first spot on the cache page is highly important.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Are people really THAT concerned that their log has to be the first one (or really the last one seen cause you have to scroll down?) Who cares??

I think you are over-estimating the simplicity of dropping a "more later" log from a smartphone and under-estimating the difficulty of leaving a full and clean log with a smart phone. The real question is "Who cares why they do it?" They can, they do, and it's not hard.

Austin
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
Who cares??

If you see how few FTF's I have, you'll know I don't. In fact, I don't care enough even to have a premium membership. I was simply guessing that those who feel (for whatever reason) that being FTF is highly important are also likely to feel that having their FTF log in that first spot on the cache page is highly important.

We don't have many FTF's either, but we do like them. We couldn't care less about having the first spot on the cache page though. I also don't know anyone else that cares about that detail, even those that REALLY like FTF's. As was discussed at length in the other post that was linked in, a "more later" log is simply a courtesy to let other FTF hounds know that it has been taken. We very much appreciate that when we're on the hunt and I know others do as well. It is not an ego thing. It is not a means to get this coveted first spot. It is a courtesy. And nothing more.

Regarding editing that log vs posting a new log: Again, I don't think the issue is having the first spot, but rather I can think of 2 more important reasons. 1) Often a FTF is a memorable experience and comes with a bit more of a story to it than other run of the mill finds, and the finder may not have time to tell that whole story yet but wants to get the rest of their finds logged that day and then come back to the whole FTF story later. If they delete and repost, it messes up THEIR order of finds, which I think a lot of people DO care about. I know I do. 2) I personally prefer posting a new log because having that "edited" text on my log annoys me, but sometimes if I post the new one before I delete the old one, it messes the counts up and stuff. It is usually quickly resolved, but I know the first time it happened to me, I was concerned I really messed something up. Maybe others have experienced that and feel it is safer to just edit.

Regarding getting notified of the new log, I WISH edited logs would be notified the same way as new logs are (on watch lists and everything), but unfortunately they aren't. I know one time I was really interested in the FTF story that was coming later (I wasn't the CO, but I was unsuccessfully trying to solve the puzzle, so I really wanted to read the FTF story). Knowing that I might not be notified on my watchlist if they edited as opposed to reposting, I just checked back every few hours. This person happened to take a few days to finally get back to the story, but I just checked back a couple-three times a day until it was there. Not a big deal. And as a CO, I don't understand how it would be a big deal either. Most of us don't publish caches all THAT often, and this FTF courtesy thing only happens on the first log (and not EVERY time), so it isn't like it is this annoying thing that you have to deal with over the entire ownership of the cache or even that often. If you care about the FTF story on your cache, yeah it would be nice to not have the "inconvenience" of periodically checking the cache page vs. simply getting a new email, but really, is it that big of a deal?
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strong opinion about this subject. - More Later
threenow24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were odd at first, like the finder must really be busy, but then it occurred to me they are actually a courtesy to other FTF chasers--"hey, I got this one so don't rush over thinking the FTF is still available".
I do think that with a lot of the new hides being put out a "FTF SL TFTC" without a "more later" is adequate, sadly.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
I have a strong opinion about this subject. - More Later

Very Happy
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this log entry today,

.....STF with XXXXXX XXX more later.....

The following posted by KB puts it all into a humorous prospective for me.

Quote...Is this what geocaching has become?...Unquote Very Happy

Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it, and I've seen it on my caches. I am not nearly the FTF hound some people are but if I am going after a FTF, I appreciate someone logging it from the field instead of waiting until they are at a 'real' computer.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagleboo wrote:
I ran across this log entry today,

.....STF with XXXXXX XXX more later.....

I've done that (except I don't bother to type "with XXX more later") for the same reason as the FTF logs, to tell other finders that the FTF is gone.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand posting "FTF. More later". I do it myself as a courtesy to the other FTF hounds out there. It's as simple as that. What I don't (really) understand is posting STF or TTF or 4TF (yes, I've seen it) with an added "more later".

When it comes to the FTF race, I'll quote the great Reese Bobby - If you're not first, you're last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: