MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biking and Caching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geotwink and I are heading up to do some of the Paul Bunyan trail on Sunday and Monday. We're taking two cars from Rochester in hopes to save on the legs. We're going to start at the very south end in Brainerd and hoping to make it to Backus. We'll have a list ready with caches all the way to Hackensack but with my bum knee I think that's a pipe dream. Hopefully the weather, ticks, and mosquitoes will be manageable, and I'll report back on our totals next week.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainerd to Backus in two days will be long, grueling days. I wore out just getting on and off the bike so many times.

The caches north of Nisswa take a lot longer to find than those south of Nisswa. There is a lot of poison ivy out there, so don't wear shorts.
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks to both Salsman and Grey Wolf for letting us know what to expect out on the Paul Bunyan Trail. I haven't logged the caches yet, but I figure we hit around 300 over the course of two days.

Sunday we dropped off a car in Nisswa, and drove back to Baxter. We started at 10:00 AM and biked the 16 miles to Nisswa, finishing up around 3:00. Grabbed the car there, checked into our hotel, drove back to Baxter, and moved a car up to Pequot Lakes. Then we biked the 6 miles from Nisswa to Pequot, finishing up about 6:30.

Monday we biked northward the 9 miles from Pequot Lakes to Pine River, starting just shy of 10:00 again. The wind was in our face the whole way, so after lunch in Jenkins and moving cars again, we biked the 9 miles south from Backus to Pine River. We finished up around 5:00.

We met calgoldmn and his son on the trail between Jenkins and Pine River; they were doing some maintenance...some new logs, and some larger cache containers.

If you REALLY pushed with two people, started at dawn, and went to dusk, I don't see any reason why you couldn't get 250-300 caches a day done, if you use two cars and don't need to backtrack all the miles on the bikes.

Regardless, I can't wait to head back up for another stretch of the trail. We had a blast.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriggerMN wrote:
If you REALLY pushed with two people, started at dawn, and went to dusk, I don't see any reason why you couldn't get 250-300 caches a day done, if you use two cars and don't need to backtrack all the miles on the bikes.

Ughh. As some of the newer cachers fly by my puny 7500 finds and on into the 10's of thousands of finds, I say, good luck to you. I hope you're having a good time. My two 100+ cache days more or less confirm that this isn't MY idea of geocaching (anymore).
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: The Future....... Reply with quote

Pedal On!!
Peace[img][/img]
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: The 2013 Mesabi Trail Tour Reply with quote

Pedal On!![/img]
calgoldmn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: CENTRAL LAKES TRAIL Reply with quote

My son and me have been out putting new caches on the Central Lakes Trail . This is a must see trail. I would insert images but can not do it. I need help
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicycle Maps in Minnesota
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The 2013 Mesabi Trail Tour Reply with quote

GC2W5EK

Diaphragms are overrated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: