MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking TBs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you took a TravelBug from your own cache?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 38 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 45

Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Taking TBs Reply with quote

Do you think it's ok to take a TB from your own cache, or should you leave it for others to find?
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta keep 'em moving.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally if I do that I trade some that have been sitting for a while with some newer ones i have. Othewise I normally just let attrition take over. I have on occaision wrote the tracking # down and logged them as discovers as well.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're made to move, not to be trade items.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

I realize this! What I was reffering to is if they have been sitting in the cache for a while, then I will replace with others so these can get moved on.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

I realize this! What I was reffering to is if they have been sitting in the cache for a while, then I will replace with others so these can get moved on.

Cool. My comment wasn't directed at you at all - I was merely answering the OP. Embarassed
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all play by our own rules. My rule is: If I canít move it 30 miles or more in the next 2 weeks or so, I just discover it and leave it, but if Iím traveling, Iíll grab it and move it on, even if itís in my own cache. I see nothing wrong with shorter moves, I just donít like all the paperwork.
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I know that I'm going somehere out of my normal area, say for the weekend or what ever and I don't have any TB's to move, I've grabbed one from one of my caches. It's easy miles.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty rare that I even take a TB now. I used to move them around a lot, but between the paperwork and the fact that I can go a number of weeks without seeing a cache that can fit a TB, I gave up on them.
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
It's pretty rare that I even take a TB now. I used to move them around a lot, but between the paperwork and the fact that I can go a number of weeks without seeing a cache that can fit a TB, I gave up on them.

You could use the pocket query feature. Sometimes people don't log right away. I ran into that problem. Not on Sunday though, everycache had a TB.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

97rs24 wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

You could use the pocket query feature. Sometimes people don't log right away. I ran into that problem. Not on Sunday though, everycache had a TB.

No, my problem is kind of the opposite.

It's a headache (for me anyway) to track which TB I picked up, and where I dropped it (especially if both occurred during the same trip).

It's also a headache to try and remember to carry the thing everywhere I go and find a container to fit it in.

In the end I didn't deem it worth the headaches involved. I found myself more often than not with a TB floating around on the floor of my vehicle for a couple of weeks (especially when I didn't cache for a few weeks on end), so I eventually gave up on TBs.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
97rs24 wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

It's a headache (for me anyway) to track which TB I picked up, and where I dropped it (especially if both occurred during the same trip).

It's also a headache to try and remember to carry the thing everywhere I go and find a container to fit it in.

In the end I didn't deem it worth the headaches involved. I found myself more often than not with a TB floating around on the floor of my vehicle for a couple of weeks (especially when I didn't cache for a few weeks on end), so I eventually gave up on TBs.

Me too.

I think trackables are interesting from a sociological point of view in that they are a history of where people have traveled. I used to regularly check all the bugs I had moved to see where they had been before I had them and where they went afterward. But at this point it's been at least a couple years since I bothered with one. I don't cache regularly enough or across widespread areas so my TB moves would be delayed or kind of pointless or both. Eventually I came to realize that TB's were better off waiting for someone else to move them, and I rarely bother with them any more.
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had TB compleat thier mission which was to come home to one of my caches and I have had TB's dropped off for me to move somewhere it wanted to go. Sometimed that is what your oun cache is for. Just to move a bug amlessly around I would not do it. All TB can have different reasons to move so it is a one on one situation Just have fun.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure i do!! Why not?
There are not that many TB's/coins in my area, unless RudeRat passes through town!!! Wink
I use a couple of my caches (plus one that's not mine), for drop off and pickups of TB's/coins.
If we are heading out if town for the weekend and there happens to be one in one the caches, I'll go grab it to move it on, if not; one of the three will have a traveler when we return home.

Peace
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
97rs24 wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Same here...about the only time I end up with TB's are if there are left at events I host...in which case I drop them into one of my caches almost immediately...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: