MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: WARNING Reply with quote

I've cooled off now.

Last edited by bflentje on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell us how you feel.

Wink
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad_CRC wrote:
tell us how you feel.

Wink

I was going to respond similarly, but was afraid...

BTW, not me.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good topic I think.

I totally agree with Bart's feelings. I hate people who break things or damage property when searching for a cache.

However, I think the hider has some responsibility when hiding caches to consider the impact of a cache on any area. (don't get me wrong, there is no excuse for damaging property. I'm certainly and specifically NOT talking about the cache which is the topic of this thread, since I have no idea what it even is. I'm talking very generally.)

I saw a cache hidden in a 100 year old stone wall near me years ago, and it had been torn all apart as people searched for the cache, Perhaps just a small percentage of cachers did all the damage, or perhaps just a small amount of damage per cacher who looked there added up, either way, it made me sad to see. A wall could last 100 years if left alone, but died quickly once people started moving and removing stones to find a piece of paper. My view is that the cache should not have been hidden there in the first place.

Just my own opinion.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

???
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hid an evil cache in an area I could not foresee any damage being done. Wrong, cachers literally ripped a rooted bush out of the ground. Non of my caches will ever need a shovel, key for digging, or any other destructive tool. If you find yourself using one, STOP!! Thatís not the cache. My evil hides are meant to challenge your brain, not your brawn.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing this is about destruction of property searching for caches but the initial entry lists no data except cooled off now.

I have found hiding caches requires some reverse thinking. Many times I see really good hiding spots but force myself to bypass them as many catchers will try to drive as close to a cache location as they can and will even park on the edge of a busy highway on a blind curve rather than walk 100 feet or so to the cache. And then there is the deconstruction of the cache area. One can't control what people will do so one must assume the average cacher will do just what you don't want them to do and plan your hide accordingly.

I find caches (my hides) moved so far I can't find them (pretty bad when I have to post a DNF on a maintenance run Laughing ) and the O-rings are broken due to over tightening. Containers broken trying to force large swag pieces into them etc. It's just part of the deal is the way I look at it. I just assume what may happen and try to place the hide with foresight into possible outcomes. Seems bushes and shrubs are always a bad idea.
Rock is good - good old rock, nothing beats rock! Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the hider has some responsibility. But in this case, if you think that the cache was hidden in such a manner that required your brute strength to get at the cache (in terms of a ball field fence) that that's where the cache would actually be hidden? CRC, I respect your opinion. But just when was the last time YOU disassembled a fence to find a cache? And I am not talking about removing a post cap either.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm not talking about that cache, as I'm clearly not familiar with it. From my experience with your hides, (if you are talking about one of yours) I don't believe a cache of yours would be hidden in a place or manner that would present unnecessary harm to the surrounding area, since you seem to me like the type who would consider such things before a hide.

And I believe the final responsibility certainly lies on the cacher to not be an idiot and wreck things.

Yes, I've found a few post cap caches, but taking apart a fence and (apparently) not putting it back together before leaving is absurd by ANY standard. Who on earth would think it's ok to break a fence to find a cache? Even if you weren't caching, common sense says you don't wreck things then leave. I don't know the details, but that just sounds like a ridiculous idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: