MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police: Geocaching Device Causes Bomb Scare In Cannon Falls
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I think I'd suggest at that point that it get labeled for sure though.

Done Twisted Evil
Father-of-five
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too good! I'm going to have to pass that around at work!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.
eatatjoes2009
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked on Weird of What? GC2CND8 and is still intact. Thanks for the heads up. Very Happy Very Happy
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:

Actually, I thought that the new piece was written pretty well. It was factual, the cops were respectful of the fact that geocaching is know and understood and that there was no criminal intent. The reporter didn't try to make any judgements here at all.

The only part of the article which bothered me was the nearby litter (tupperware bowl) which wasn't believed to be left as swag. It needs to be reported that geocachers pick up litter, and do not leave litter.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sewer inspectors get into the act - I'm in big trouble
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
What cache is it ?

I do not know for certain. But based on the number of times I've been down this trail and knowing about every cache on the trail, I am guessing it is Weird or What?.

That was my guess as well.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that hadn't occured to me today is this is perhaps something the MnGCA should look at being a little proactive on, especially after an event.

This may be an excellent opportunity to meet with police (particularily bomb squads) to explain to them the sport, the containers, etc. Give them a 10 minute presentation on geocaching and how it affects them.

All jokes aside, I don't think they want to blow up our stuff any more than we want it blown up.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were enough incidents like this around Wisconsin, too, that the WGA developed an informational brochure for law enforcement folks. At least one committee member was a LEO, so they were able to write it to "speak" to those folks.

I'm not on the Board there anymore, but I'm sure if you really wanted to pursue something like this, they'd be happy to share across the border. At least this one didn't get blown up. One Wisconsin municipality seemed to blow up every "suspicious" object out there. As I understand it, if they determine the cache owner, a charge for the explosives (no pun intended) can be levied against the owner. Not the way I want to spend my caching budget!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Something that hadn't occured to me today is this is perhaps something the MnGCA should look at being a little proactive on, especially after an event.

This may be an excellent opportunity to meet with police (particularily bomb squads) to explain to them the sport, the containers, etc. Give them a 10 minute presentation on geocaching and how it affects them.

All jokes aside, I don't think they want to blow up our stuff any more than we want it blown up.

Actually, blowing stuff up sounds like fun. Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

I know you write that with a little bit of fun attached (and I agree that it does sound like fun), but keep in mind that these guys are going at this with some degree of risk to themselves (be it in the process, mistakes that they make whatever).
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

I know you write that with a little bit of fun attached (and I agree that it does sound like fun), but keep in mind that these guys are going at this with some degree of risk to themselves (be it in the process, mistakes that they make whatever).

My comment was all fun with no regard for the situation. I would not want to be on a bomb squad. Reminds me of Hurt Locker.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I loved my 15 months in one of the Army bomb squads. It was a real BLAST if you know what I mean.

I think that we should just go ahead and lock this one.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I found out about geocaching I read a story about a geocache that got blown up by a bomb squad, and bought a GPS the next day.

free advertising.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

I agree that this type of education falls within the mission of the MnGCA. Does Groundspeak provide any material we could build on so that we’re not starting from scratch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: