MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Police: Geocaching Device Causes Bomb Scare In Cannon Falls
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Nov 2003

Posts: 1846

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Police: Geocaching Device Causes Bomb Scare In Cannon Falls Reply with quote

Found today:

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A three-block section of a bike trail was closed Monday morning in Cannon Falls, Minn., after a geocaching object found near the trail was thought to be a pipe bomb, police said.

Police responded to the scene after receiving a call about a suspicious object. Police said the object was wrapped in duct tape and that a “wire or fuse” was sticking out of it. When the Bloomington Police Bomb Squad inspected the object, however, they found it was not a bomb but a geocaching device.

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure-hunting game played by people with GPS devices throughout the world, according to geocaching.com. The object of the game is to find the cache and then sign the logbook to show other geocachers that one has found the location. Some geocachers leave items near the cache for others to have. Police said an overturned bowl was found by the cache, but it is not known if it had anything to do with geocacher generosity.

Police said no criminal intent was apparent in the object, for all that was found inside was a log of people who had visited.

While geocaching may be a harmless activity, police said problems arise when others aren’t aware of what the devices are or what the activity is. Other law enforcement agencies throughout the country have responded to suspicious objects reports and found them to be connected with geocaching, police said.

The bike trail was closed for an hour and 45 minutes.

_________________
Airborne All the Way!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Police: Geocaching Device Causes Bomb Scare In Cannon Fa Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Found today:

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A three-block section of a bike trail was closed Monday morning in Cannon Falls, Minn., after a geocaching object found near the trail was thought to be a pipe bomb, police said.

Police responded to the scene after receiving a call about a suspicious object. Police said the object was wrapped in duct tape and that a “wire or fuse” was sticking out of it. When the Bloomington Police Bomb Squad inspected the object, however, they found it was not a bomb but a geocaching device.

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure-hunting game played by people with GPS devices throughout the world, according to geocaching.com. The object of the game is to find the cache and then sign the logbook to show other geocachers that one has found the location. Some geocachers leave items near the cache for others to have. Police said an overturned bowl was found by the cache, but it is not known if it had anything to do with geocacher generosity.

Police said no criminal intent was apparent in the object, for all that was found inside was a log of people who had visited.

While geocaching may be a harmless activity, police said problems arise when others aren’t aware of what the devices are or what the activity is. Other law enforcement agencies throughout the country have responded to suspicious objects reports and found them to be connected with geocaching, police said.

The bike trail was closed for an hour and 45 minutes.


Thank God it wasn't my cache this time.

I know bike trails are good places to hide bombs.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rustynails
Geocacher


Joined: 27 Oct 2009

Posts: 790

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cache is it ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board


Joined: 10 Jun 2009

Posts: 908

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! I guess I should take the duct tape and wires off all my caches!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a question.. if this article was NOT your cache, but you know that you do own other geocaches duct taped with a wire (as a hanger), what do you do? Archive or let em be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5701

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Ok, here's a question.. if this article was NOT your cache, but you know that you do own other geocaches duct taped with a wire (as a hanger), what do you do? Archive or let em be?


I'd start by making sure that they're properly labeled.

I can easily see duct tape and wires - a wire to hold it on the tree, held on the container with some duct tape for instance. I think I'd suggest at that point that it get labeled for sure though. For someone that knows nothing of geocaching, finding a pipe in the woods with duct tape and wire sticking out of it will surely warrant a call to law enforcement.

The key is to get law enforcement to check if it's a cache if they're in doubt first, but we all know that will never happen (no news coverage). Rolling Eyes
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
What cache is it ?


I do not know for certain. But based on the number of times I've been down this trail and knowing about every cache on the trail, I am guessing it is Weird or What?.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
The key is to get law enforcement to check if it's a cache if they're in doubt first, but we all know that will never happen (no news coverage). Rolling Eyes


Wait.. is that like.. open the coffin first BEFORE we call the cadaver dogs and the medical examiner?? Laughing er, I mean, Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5701

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
The key is to get law enforcement to check if it's a cache if they're in doubt first, but we all know that will never happen (no news coverage). Rolling Eyes


Wait.. is that like.. open the coffin first BEFORE we call the cadaver dogs and the medical examiner?? Laughing er, I mean, Rolling Eyes


I'm surprised that it took you 4 posts in this thread to get here. Smile

Something like that, yes.
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
The key is to get law enforcement to check if it's a cache if they're in doubt first, but we all know that will never happen (no news coverage). Rolling Eyes


Wait.. is that like.. open the coffin first BEFORE we call the cadaver dogs and the medical examiner?? Laughing er, I mean, Rolling Eyes


I'm surprised that it took you 4 posts in this thread to get here. Smile

Something like that, yes.


Give me a break. I was trying to give TWS time to chime in first. He must be sleeping on the job tonight. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Nov 2003

Posts: 1846

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea and "IF" I'm a mad bomber, I'll just label the bomb "Official Geocache" so that it can stay there undisturbed until it detonates.


Actually, I thought that the new piece was written pretty well. It was factual, the cops were respectful of the fact that geocaching is know and understood and that there was no criminal intent. The reporter didn't try to make any judgements here at all.
_________________
Airborne All the Way!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5701

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Yea and "IF" I'm a mad bomber, I'll just label the bomb "Official Geocache" so that it can stay there undisturbed until it detonates.


At least it alerts law enforcement to what it could be - starts them on a verifiable path.

Granted, properly done, a bomb can be made to look like a lot of legitimate things.
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Father-of-five
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Aug 2008

Posts: 17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly similar story at "A GeoCache Recycling Story" cache GC2DDEN.

Not that I would know for sure mind you, but I have to wonder if the Bloomington Bomb Squad was given some sort of "heads up" by one of their dispatchers who could be a geocacher on what they should expect???

It just all seems so eerily familiar!! (wink)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
timewellspent
Geocacher


Joined: 19 Mar 2008

Posts: 706

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
The key is to get law enforcement to check if it's a cache if they're in doubt first, but we all know that will never happen (no news coverage). Rolling Eyes


Wait.. is that like.. open the coffin first BEFORE we call the cadaver dogs and the medical examiner?? Laughing er, I mean, Rolling Eyes


I'm surprised that it took you 4 posts in this thread to get here. Smile

Something like that, yes.


Give me a break. I was trying to give TWS time to chime in first. He must be sleeping on the job tonight. Wink


Nope, not sleeping, just need to change my puzzle cache once again. It's based on the number of times you bring up the subject. I don't think I will ever get the cache published thou, since the "data" keeps changing... Razz Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Nope, not sleeping, just need to change my puzzle cache once again. It's based on the number of times you bring up the subject. I don't think I will ever get the cache published thou, since the "data" keeps changing... Razz Laughing


Pearhead is in first place for posts. I've got to something to catch up. Glad I can assist in your puzzle along the way. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.