MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deep Tracks: Glass Onion (GC21J4R)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should Moe do with this cache?
Leave it alone. The world needs more 5-star difficulty caches.
60%
 60%  [ 25 ]
Simplify it so that more people will be able to solve it. (probably a 3-star difficulty)
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Archive it. It has been out there long enough.
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 41

Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Deep Tracks: Glass Onion (GC21J4R) Reply with quote

This puzzle cache has been in place for about a year and a half and, in that time, has been solved only once, almost a year ago. I'm trying to decide what to do with it. There isn't much point in having a cache out there that isn't going to be found. On the other hand, if there are still people out there actively trying to solve it, I don't want to archive it. Another option is to simplify it such that it will be obvious when you have peeled away the first layer.

Please help me decide what to do.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first instinct was to ask you to simplify it, but I think that might take away from Sharknose Bunnies' accomplishment of solving it.

As much as I hate to say it, I think you should archive it. I've spent some time working on it since I started caching, and haven't got anywhere.

What did you think of LabguyMN's parody? Very Happy
LabguyMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: hard to say Reply with quote

It appears jjntj and I are the only ones working on this actively. Part of me wants it to be available, as I estimate that I've spent more than 100 hours working on it. I don't think I'll solve it ever but that's the way it goes. Part of me just wants to know the solution as I've surrendered. Part of me hopes a bear eats the cache and a sinkhole eats gz. You asked.
I Spy.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of several folks that I know are working on it - some actively; some hoping to see some inspiration. How about keeping it going for three months and see where you are then?
Brooklyn51
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am working on it although I admit to the need of some inspiration. I surely wouldn't mind a hint but I also wouldn't want to take away from SNBs outstanding performance with this one by simplifiying it... too much.
Valsey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been spending some time working on this one too, but havn't been able to peel the onion. It should be kept it at the same level to credit SNB's find.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not in my neck of the woods, so I haven't been working it, but if the cache isn't bothering anybody or isn't at risk of being found and carried off by a muggle, and nobody is hounding you to archive it to clear a 0.1-mile radius so other caches could be hidden, then leave it be.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a lonely cache soon........
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of simplication. My style is that on all of my puzzles, after about a year or so, I always place either a strong hint or solution on the cache listing. That allows non-puzzlers the opportunity to clear out their radius if that's what they desire. Besides, if it hadn't been solved and found by then, the chances decrease significantly for visitors after a certain point. But then you knew that.. Wink
foundinthewild
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several hunches over time but SNB has been keeping his vow of secrecy. I have pretty much stalled out even though I have a couple tabs open in firefox with my ideas waiting further inspiration. Not much has changed in the puzzle situation, e.g. leaked (intentionally or not) hints are non-existent. Make the difficulty whatever you like, we pretty much know SNB is a master and FTF champ as well. I sure would like a "directional" hint, or more.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been excoriated in this forum in the past for not giving hints on puzzles. I recall one comment saying something to the effect of "why wouldn't you want someone to find your cache?". As a result of that I felt enough shame that on a recent puzzle I started giving hints after just a couple weeks until someone found it. In retrospect I wish I wouldn't have done that, at least not as quickly as I did, because it dampens the satisfaction felt by those who would be able to solve the puzzle on their own.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I've been excoriated in this forum in the past for not giving hints on puzzles. I recall one comment saying something to the effect of "why wouldn't you want someone to find your cache?". As a result of that I felt enough shame that on a recent puzzle I started giving hints after just a couple weeks until someone found it. In retrospect I wish I wouldn't have done that, at least not as quickly as I did, because it dampens the satisfaction felt by those who would be able to solve the puzzle on their own.

There should be no shame or regret one way or the other. For a new cache, particularly FTF, asking for help is questionable. Once the cache is established, asking for help is not a problem.
threenow24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not get visited every day, but some people like caches that aren't logged every day, week, year, whatever. I say it's fine as is.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
spinowner wrote:

There should be no shame or regret one way or the other. For a new cache, particularly FTF, asking for help is questionable. Once the cache is established, asking for help is not a problem.

When I used the word "shame" I was being a bit facetious. It was actually more that I decided I had made the puzzle too obscure.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your inputs folks. I guess I'll leave the cache as is, at least through summer. If I then decide to change the puzzle, I'll probably archive this listing and create a new one to preserve the integrity of SNB's (and anyone else who finds it between now and then) find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: