MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finds not showing as Found It on Geocaching Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Finds not showing as Found It on Geocaching Maps Reply with quote

This has been an issue for over a month, at least. Seems to happen most on, or near, weekends, when it gets busy with folks planning. You go to the maps, and caches that you've found just show up as unfound caches.

Here is a link to the Feedback report on the bug. I would encourage everybody to take a second to go there and "cast some votes" to get Groundspeak to understand that this needs to be fixed sooner, not later.

Here is Groundspeak's official stance.
Quote:

The addition of many new major features plus the record traffic levels we're experiencing has caused some serious performance issues for the site. Some features like the personalization of the maps have been disabled temporarily just to allow the site to function. Fixing these and other performance issues is a top priority.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75863-report-a-problem/suggestions/1613315-return-the-smiley-faces-on-found-caches-on-the-goo?ref=title
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added three votes, for whatever good it will do.

I really wonder what's up at the Lilypad. When they are threatened (i.e. when Garmin's "Open" Caching site went live), they seem to act quickly and make some really good decisions. Then there's nothing for months until the next crisis comes along. Are they resource-constrained? Bad corporate culture? The frustrating nature of human behavior? Very Happy
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added my .02 worth 3 weeks ago....... Very Happy =Now ya see em, now you don't.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say they turned off smileys to reduce the load on the database, so the site doesn't slow to a crawl like it often does on weekends. I don't use the maps much, so I'd rather have the site work than have smileys on the maps. Smile
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this affect pocket queries? Getting ready for a trip to Lake Elmo, and planning on running a PQ on Wed. or Thurs. and want to make sure that it does not include found caches, as we have done a few in the area already. Anyone Know? And one more question, are Bobcams Bus stop series caches park and grabs? or is there no parking? Kind of thinking for some numbers, and this series looked good. Thanks, in advance, Tom & Kathy
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
And one more question, are Bobcams Bus stop series caches park and grabs? or is there no parking? Kind of thinking for some numbers, and this series looked good. Thanks, in advance, Tom & Kathy

Many are on a busy street and at a bus stop with no parking. But many have parking right around the corner. High traffic area. If there are two of you, you might be able to pull off one driving and one jumping. Depends on time of day.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KRedEP, so these are not like the HHAA, Hydrant caches. We may have to rethink this trips caches. Appreciate that
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
Thanks KRedEP, so these are not like the HHAA, Hydrant caches. We may have to rethink this trips caches. Appreciate that

hmm. don't mean to mislead you. They are mostly quick caches. Just in a very urban area with lots of people around. I believe we did them all in around 4-5 hours. Two of us. You don't need to walk far to any of the caches. Traffic was totally the issue with us. We started to drive on the street one block over and parallel to the cache street, then would just drive up the side street connecting the streets. Kinda made an S through the neighborhoods - if that makes sense. The HHAA are super quick though...and quieter....
Nomiker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
Hunter-Killer wrote:

hmm. don't mean to mislead you. They are mostly quick caches. Just in a very urban area with lots of people around. I believe we did them all in around 4-5 hours. Two of us. You don't need to walk far to any of the caches. Traffic was totally the issue with us. We started to drive on the street one block over and parallel to the cache street, then would just drive up the side street connecting the streets. Kinda made an S through the neighborhoods - if that makes sense. The HHAA are super quick though...and quieter....

Three of us did the Bobcam BS series right around rush hour and parking was never a problem for us. All the caches I remember had parking very close. If not right in front of the cache then within 50 feet or so on side streets or lots. We did eventually start dropping off 2 people to retrieve and sign the logs while the third person would make a quick turn down the nearest side street. By the time the drivers was back at the corner the other two were usually waiting for him. It was great to have a series like this over the winter when the snow can be a pain.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this tread wander off topic here?

I happen to like the new Beta map. Guess I was never a big fan of that Google Map thing. This is an improvement for me and the way I cache.

KF
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Franke wrote:
Did this tread wander off topic here?

I happen to like the new Beta map. Guess I was never a big fan of that Google Map thing. This is an improvement for me and the way I cache.

KF

I am not sure if I liked the old map but used it a lot. I find the missing smilies to be irritating but tolerate it. New beta maps look cool but have not played that much yet.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one HATE the new BETA maps. I like the smilies and hope they bring that part back. It's nice to be able to look in an area and see what caches you've gotten and what ones you haven't, just by looking at the maps. Then I know where to concentrate most of my effort to get the most "bang for my buck" in an area. It's frustrating not to be able to get rid of the already found caches in an area, or worse yet my own caches. Certainly don't need my caches showing up on a map for an area.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also didn't care to much for the beta maps until I found the "personalize" box, and now I'm starting to warm to them. The biggest problem right now is MOC's don't show up.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
I also didn't care to much for the beta maps until I found the "personalize" box, and now I'm starting to warm to them.

I can completely agree with this. I looked at them months back, and shuddered to have to look at them again today, until I found the magical personalize box Smile Still don't particularly care for them, but now it's just a resistance to change issue than any major bugs (except the MOC...)
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that "personalize" box thingy today too, when this thread came up. Looks like in that beta map with the personalie box checked you can see the smiley's...

Guess I didn't notice the missing MOC caches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: