MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

City of Sunfish Lake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: City of Sunfish Lake Reply with quote

I thought I should point out that the matter of hiding geocaches in and around Sunfish Lake (near Mendota Heights) has recently been taken up with the city council, by the owner of a cache in that area. The verdict, as it now stands, is in this log by rjr002: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=2aa6424f-14b8-4867-b773-6828b244db50

Quote:

The city council did not make any decisions on the placement of Geocaches in their city.
They did not condone nor condemn the activity nor did they dispute the fact that the use of public land and public roads, in their city, is within our rights.

While the outcome was, at least for now, satisfactory, I would sure hope that individual cachers would work through MNGCA in the future.

For one thing, all it takes is one individual who is ill-prepared for the discussion to ruin it for the rest of us. For another thing, I don't think it is to our benefit to have numerous cachers contacting the officials for the same sort of permission, time after time. I'm sure there are other good reasons as well, but I think those alone are sufficient.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a tricky item in general.

Quote:
For another thing, I don't think it is to our benefit to have numerous cachers contacting the officials for the same sort of permission, time after time.

Part of the key is that people need adequate permission to hide. What's adequate to one may not be to the next, so eventually you end up with an official being contacted in most locations (over time) as the more cautious cachers will seek out the proper official (which is good I think).

It may be helpful to try and inventory what sort of permission has been granted for different locations to avoid people duplicating the requests (and just annoying the otherwise nice official).

People also need the ability to seek the permission in the first place without going through the MnGCA, which I personally think is fine, but they should (as you point out) quickly bring it to the attention of the MnGCA if their request isn't rubber-stamped. The organization (and particularly the board) has experience with working with park districts. The end results may not be ideal, but I'd like to think that they're the best that we can obtain under the circumstances.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course let's face it a very big factor is the cacher has to actually know the MnGCA exists and know where to find us. I would guess we are not known by a large percentage of people who log onto geocaching.com and then decide they want to hide a cache in the state of Minnesota. And before an argument of what "large" is, I'll just say anything over 20% of the general caching population is large, just to throw a number out there. That's just life, I don't think you'll ever get 100% participation, maybe they don't want to have to go to a second website, maybe they think since it is not directly on gc.com that it is not an "official" source of information, there are about as many reasons for coming on here or not coming on here as there are cachers, and yes there will be times that a governing body is approached by an individual not because they think they're better, or out of spite or anything like that, it is just they probably haven't found us yet.
jerpete
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who do I contact with the MnGCA if I want to ask a city for permission to place a cache in one of it's parks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerpete wrote:
So, who do I contact with the MnGCA if I want to ask a city for permission to place a cache in one of it's parks.

MY view is to contact the city, but then share your experiences with the MnGCA. If it's a rubber-stamp 'yes', then start a thread in the Park Relations forum (this forum). If it's anything other than a rubber-stamp yes (even if it's a yes, but you get the indication that they are going to dig deeper into the topic), then I'd contact the MnGCA board and let them know what you've done, who you've spoken to, and where things are at. The easiest way is to contact them here: http://mngca.org/contact

I believe in these types of situations that you can never share enough information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: