MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: Most in a day & How/Where to break a hundred?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

My most finds in a day
200+
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
150-200
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
100-150
25%
 25%  [ 27 ]
75-100
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
50-75
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
25-50
26%
 26%  [ 28 ]
<25
22%
 22%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 107

hijfte
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to change my poll answer to 100-150!! The day after I posted last, I solo'ed 103! It was a looong day, but the Bobcam BS series was quite helpful in reaching this goal! Somehow I only had one Bobcam cache before that day.
Some observations:
-Start early... you can get a bunch before the rest of the world even wakes up.
-As others have said, planning is quite helpful but you must stick to the plan!! I spent the longest time (and one of my few DNFs) at one that wasn't even loaded in my gps, but my phone showed it quite close to my location.
-Not recommended as a solo event.
-Getting some with short walks may take more time, but is a nice way to mix it up and keep sane.
-Walk away if you see pine trees.
-Always find a couple more than your target goal in case you counted wrong. While logging, I put "of 104 caches", which is what I counted during the day...ended up being only 103. Would hate to have thought I found 100 only to log 99.
-Plan on being drained for a couple days and spending LOTs of time logging.

Now to make it to 1000 Smile
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hijfte wrote:
-Walk away if you see pine trees.

Good advice even if you aren't trying to break 100!
trista74
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 100+ days. The first time, BahamaBerry and I went to St. Cloud and were done in about 12 hours. I only chose caches that were 2/1.5 and below and that had been found recently. Qwerty joined us for the drive through downtown St. Cloud, which was very helpful, since he knew the area. If you try to do high numbers in St. Cloud and don't know the area, I would suggest looking very closely at the satellite imagery (and hoping it's up to date) or taking someone with you who is familiar with the area, as we would have spent a lot of time determining which parking lots to go into for the LPC's if we hadn't had help. We also implemented a 5 minute rule for the day. If we couldn't find it in 5 minutes, we moved on to the next cache. We had about 125 caches on the plan, just in case we needed them. Also, I try to plan cache routes with as many right turns as possible, so we don't have to wait as long at intersections.

The second 100+ day was with FSU*Noles, his son, Quilting is fun too and Oakwilt. We went to Austin. FSU*Noles chose the caches and I made the cache route.

The third 100+ day, we were driving to Hudson to do the fire hydrant series when MinnesotaBrad said he had never had a 100+ day. We found that we were over 60 before lunch, so we random cached the rest of the day away and ended up with a personal best of 109 and MinnesotaBrad also made it over 100.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my first 100 cache day. I did the Singing Hills trail from just E of Madison Lake to Warsaw, before I ran out of time, and ended with 96 on the trail/ I picked a few more on the way home, and went out just before dark for the rest for a 101 day. There is pretty close to 200 caches on the 39 miles between Faribault and Mankato.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psubrian, sparkyfry, and I got 160+ with room to spare doing Hudson --> Micromania --> Austin, MN. If we hadn't entertained some detours, hadn't already gotten about 20 of the hydrant hides, and had kept going through the evening I think it would have been pretty easy to get 200+.

We spent quite a bit of time preparing the route. The key, IMHO, is route preparation. You don't want to be spending a couple of minutes figuring out where to go after each cache. Just 2 minutes thinking times 100 caches = 200 minutes. That's over 3 hours of thinking that you can easily do before you hit the road.

And the hydrant hides in Hudson go insanely fast. It was sparkyfry's idea to pull those into the planning, and that really helped our day.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She_wolf and I did 130+ caches in a row on a power highway north of New Orleans on old highway 51. One of us drove half the route and pulled to within 60 feet of the cache. The other jumped out, found the cache, signed the log, and took a picture. We fixed up a few caches, and wrote notes for each cache. We switched off being driver or runner a couple of times. These caches are hanging in trees, for the most part.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best was 34...doesn't sound like much compared to others, but they were in the form of a smiley in an area that consisted of a tree farm (lots of ups and downs) and a mossy area that looked like something out of a fairy tail at the end. It was a lot of bushwacking with few trails and it had taken 6 1/2 hours and was incredibly challenging, I'm glad we did it in April, summer would be a killer. Even though the total number isn't that high, for me it was a much better experience than grabbing a lot of skirt lifters in parking lots.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny seeing this thread bump back up and reading my first post about getting 7 in a day. After getting 2 100 caches days it seems so long ago that 7 in a day was a BIG day.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember early in our caching we went out caching. And we read in one of the logs of a cache we found that a cacher had found TWELVE in one day and was even pushing a stroller! It was amazing!
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to change my vote as well, after hitting the paul bunyan and heartland power trails i ended up with two 100+days and one 200+day
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding it cooler to go back to the 12 find day. There are so many opportunities now for a 100 find day that it's no longer a "special" accomplishment.
kendrick0861
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best was only 100 down south. Started in Tennessee very early and worked my way to Asheville, NC near Chimney Rock there is a lot of puzzles shaped like a huge smiley face. They were easy and close together. After that I kept going until I made it in time for an event in South Carolina. Took all day and traveled far but made the 100 in a day.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 in a day...ugh. Evil or Very Mad

I do caching for fun. Trying to hit 100 in a single day sounds too much like work to me.

Austin
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:

I do caching for fun. Trying to hit 100 in a single day sounds too much like work to me.

Austin

I agree with you in principle. But power caching with the right group of friends in the right area can be a blast. Probably my most fun day caching ever was finding 130+ caches in the Anza-Borrego Desert in California with Arcticabn and Team Hooligan last March.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
AustinMN wrote:

Austin

I agree with you in principle. But power caching with the right group of friends in the right area can be a blast. Probably my most fun day caching ever was finding 130+ caches in the Anza-Borrego Desert in California with Arcticabn and Team Hooligan last March.

I've said before, caching isn't always about the cache, sometimes it's about the experience getting to the cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: