MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: Most in a day & How/Where to break a hundred?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

My most finds in a day
200+
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
150-200
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
100-150
25%
 25%  [ 27 ]
75-100
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
50-75
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
25-50
26%
 26%  [ 28 ]
<25
22%
 22%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 107

hijfte
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: POLL: Most in a day & How/Where to break a hundred? Reply with quote

Many of you out there have done this before and many may be trying, so let's hear some tips/strategies to get there - or at least a bit closer. Maxing at 51 in a day (and it was a looong day) makes me wonder how I could double that and bow down to some numbers I've heard.

So what worked for you on your record day????

PQs with terrain under 2? 1.5? 1?
Difficulty under a certain number?
Lots of driving or finding different areas where walking gets a bunch?
Staying away from certain EVIL cache owners?
GSAK filter recommendations?
Time limit set at a cache before moving on?
Recommendations for an area of the cities (Personally, 475 finds within 10 miles of 169 and Old Shakopee and only 83 10-20 miles away leaves lots to be had).

Thanks for any info, and if anyone wants to join me on Sunday, 4/17, that's going to be my first shot at it!!
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours was just sheer determination. Andrew and I had found 7 (which was out previous daily record) and just pushed on.

I was actually going to go out and try to hit the Wall Trail series of 25 today, but between the morons at work and the weather I decided to try for another day.

There's actuall a new macro for gsak http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=18231 that doesn't some magic selecting of cache names to try and identify series.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it twice. The strategy the first time was starting at 5AM and ending at midnight. The strategy the second time was caching in Sica Hollow State Park in South Dakota. (There are about 70 caches there all about 600 feet apart.) I imagine you could get well on your way to 100 without driving that far or staying up that long if you tried Bobcam's bus stop series.
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonkajen and I and our 2 teenage sons have logged 101 in one day. It requires way more than just a pocket query. It took hours of route planning so that you do the least amount of driving between caches and get the max caches in a given area. Research the caches and only choose ones that have been found recently. Don't pick ones with off coords or where people had to search a long time. Keep track on a paper with the plan printed out.
We (and many others) used a route between Clearwater and St. Cloud because the area is dense with lampskirts and neighborhood parks with close parking. We did not split up and we signed every log (although others use stamps or stickers). We left the house a little after 6 am, logged our first cache at 7:10 am and logged our last one about 12 hours later. We were home by 8 pm. We brought food and snacks but we did make an ice cream stop. One thing that will for sure sabotage your goal is to stray from the plan. If the plan is good, you should be able to get to 100.
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one of the best route planners that I know is Minnstars. He is a really good resource for how to plan. I cached Hudson Hot Air Affair with him and some other folks. We got over 50 in 6 hours with 2 hours drive time.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson Hydrant series by HudsonHotAirAffair (50 or so caches?)___St.Paul BS series by bobcam (75 or so caches?)___Blaine Wall Trail series by TopGear (24 or so caches?) could add up to a 100+ local cache day?
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@beagleboo
For sure. I am working on a plan to get KB's 3 state 100 in a day challenge and it looks easily doable with the Hudson Hydrant caches and the Bobcam BS series. The longest part of the day would be the trek to Iowa to get that 3rd state.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really wanted to grab 100 caches in a day, but since there was a challenge for it I decided to go for it. Laura (no name) and I sat down with two laptops. She looked at the map and I created a bookmark list. I labeled each cache in the order that we were going to do them. We then printed out the list to keep track of where we were on the list and where to go next. Mainly 2/2 and below that had been found recently. If you see the word pine tree, skip it. We wasted a lot of time on "easy" pine tree caches. If you are trying for three states, which we were, I would recommend caching from Austin to La Crosse and then drop into Alamakee County Iowa. We made sure that we had 100 MN caches and a few from each of the other two sates. Teamwork is key. We did it in 18 hours, but we had a couple of other goals that ate up some time. I believe that my bookmark is still active if you want to check it out.

I think I am going to try and break my current record soon with 150+ in a day. There is a "power trail" west of Sioux Falls of 100 caches. It isn't a true power trail since some are more than .15 miles apart and I saw some diff 4 and 4.5 in there. But it should be an interesting set of caches. There is another actual power trail south of Sioux Falls of 30 caches.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to break 100 in a day but I do know it is possible with minimal effort if your timing is right and you pick the correct area.

My top counts per day, 61, 60, 54, and 50-something, ALL took place during the winter months with snow on the ground and minimal daylight hours. Had I done the same during the summer, I know for sure that my top count in a day could be double.

But in the summer months I have other goals.. so 100+ finds per day doesn't interest me all that much anymore. While I am still into the "numbers", as soon as the snow melts, it's quality over quantity.

Having said that, time to stay on topic. If you want serious cache density, head to Rochester or St. Paul. While Hudson can get you quite a few caches, not sure that's the best place to go unless you include a second area.
commander & chief
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Poll: Most in a day Reply with quote

Last fall we joined up with Captain and Mate and in just shy of 11 hours got 110. Could easily have been more but we ended up with a very slow start due to our choice of starting points and ened up with some longer driving in between finds than anticipated. Once the sun came up, finds also became easier. I'd defininately recommend doing this as a team. We had a driver, navigator and planner who manned the back seat (operations center as we called it). Being a diabetic, some stops were needed but we did pack some food and tried to only stop when fuel was needed. We used some MutherandSon power trail caches near Pioria Il. It was't something I would enjoy doing very often. By the time we got done, if I never saw a 35mm container at the base of a sign post again I would have died happy. Having done it I can definately say that I'd be capable of doing 200 given the right location but don't see how we possibly could have done more than that. I'd be wiped out both physically and mentally. But that's just me. I'm quite sure there are MANY more Cachers more finatical than I am. I should also add that this was not a team thing. We were each physically present at each find and attached a "Sticker" with our names instead of signing the log.

Last edited by commander & chief on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally know someone that found 870 in one day. Of course, it was the ET Highway series and it was a team.
hijfte
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I wasn't expecting the 100+ to be the highest in the poll - I sure have some work to do. I probably won't get 870 tomorrow, but I hope to at least beat my 51 - and someday with a bit of planning and a couple more people, I'll break that hundred barrier. The three state hundred challenge looks like fun!
Thanks for all the tips and locations. Keep 'em coming!
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson - Hydrants (50) + MNWild11 series (11). Woodbury's UM series. That got us a great start.

Didn't there used to be a normal 100 in a day challenge? All I can seem to find is the KB 100 in 3 states and the KB MN 100 in a day challenge... Which doesn't help when I'm split between WI and MN. Or am I missing something...
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high is 50. I'm not sure if I should vote for 25-50 or 50-75 as it fits in both. It was in Hudson and it could have easily been 75. It only took about two and a half hours and we didn't even get all the hydrants. We didn't have a plan, we just drove from one to another.
Team Dennis
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our best is 55 doing Bobcam's BS series. We only had a few hours to go that afternoon but we made the most of it. I'm sure we could have done 100+ if we'd had more time. Maybe this summer...

Hey! First post on the MnGCA site. WOO HOO!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: