MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sick of paying through the nose for Comcast Cable TV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Sick of paying through the nose for Comcast Cable TV Reply with quote

Anyone else? What other alternatives are there in the metro area that work?

We pay $100 a month for cable tv and DVR (which requires a certain cable package) and mostly watch the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox), History (Pawnstars, American Pickers), Discovery (Mythbusters), HGTV and a few others.

90% of what we watch is recorded to the DVR and watched later.

We have a basic Netflix account and get DVDs and watch shows through the Wii.

I know about Hulu and have watched shows on their a few times but would prefer something that can be watched on our big screen tv without a dedicated computer.

So I figured I'd ask what other people are doing in the metro area?

Thanks for any helpful advice!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that price does not include Internet, it is high. If you do get Internet, it's in line with being "reasonable" in my mind.

You can do what we do with Charter. Every year or so we call and threaten a move to dish if they don't give us a deal or lower our rates. So far it's always worked.

Some day they'll call my bluff. Which will suck since I have no real intention of moving to a crappy satellite system.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
If that price does not include Internet, it is high. If you do get Internet, it's in line with being "reasonable" in my mind.

You can do what we do with Charter. Every year or so we call and threaten a move to dish if they don't give us a deal or lower our rates. So far it's always worked.

Some day they'll call my bluff. Which will suck since I have no real intention of moving to a crappy satellite system.

That price does not include internet, which is another $50 which also seems a little high but I am ok with that. My point is I don't want to pay what others pay because I know there are cheaper solutions out there. I'm just wondering what others do in the metro area.

I've tried calling and they lower the price $10 for 6 months which isn't worth it because then you have to remember to call back again. I'm looking for a permanent solution. I don't want a dish either.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weve got Comcast with one premium channel which they gave us free for 6 months, with internet service for $70ish. We just got that deal last week when we went into the Comcast office in Glen Lake where they set us up as brand new customers with all the bennies. Also, I use a second generation Apple TV for Netflix, internet radio, Youtube and video podcasts, plus iTunes content from any of our PCs through Home Sharing. I love the Apple TV interface, but I wish it had Pandora, Hulu, Revision 3 and a few others. I can also stream over my wifi from one PC using the Netgear Push2TV box that came free with the laptop. I do not have DVR. If I miss it, I miss it. However, if I wanted it, Id get a cheep TV card for my PC along with the software for a total cost of around $100. Id load the captured video into iTunes and stream it from there to the Apple TV, or push it to the TV through my laptop.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Weve got Comcast with one premium channel which they gave us free for 6 months, with internet service for $70ish. We just got that deal last week when we went into the Comcast office in Glen Lake where they set us up as brand new customers with all the bennies.

Wait till it doubles in 6 months. Smile

Anyone else using some type of DVR setup besides the one that Comcast offers?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
Weve got Comcast with one premium channel which they gave us free for 6 months, with internet service for $70ish. We just got that deal last week when we went into the Comcast office in Glen Lake where they set us up as brand new customers with all the bennies.

Wait till it doubles in 6 months. Smile

Anyone else using some type of DVR setup besides the one that Comcast offers?

Using Charter's DVR service. It's ok.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use an antenna to watch/record shows on local stations and watch cable shows some other way?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disconnected my TV about 8 years ago and don't miss it. We get Netflix discs in the mail and that's it. If Netflix doesn't have it then we don't watch it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I disconnected my TV about 8 years ago and don't miss it. We get Netflix discs in the mail and that's it. If Netflix doesn't have it then we don't watch it.

There are only 4 cable channels I would miss. The others I could care less.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
We just got that deal last week when we went into the Comcast office in Glen Lake where they set us up as brand new customers with all the bennies.

I walked into the exact same office, asked about what they had, looking for deals and whatever they were doing, and they told me "Call the sales office, they'll have better deals for you"... So congrats on getting good customer service Smile

Personally, I can't stand the fact that it's a legalized monopoly, but I can't (well, actually choose not to) do anything about it...
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck with comcast too. It's a scam paying for all those channels you never watch. You should be able to choose ala carte and just pay for what you watch.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Anyone use an antenna to watch/record shows on local stations and watch cable shows some other way?

While it really isn't truly related to your thread, I will say getting the locals off air is the best picture quality you can get, bar none. If you use an antenna you get the full 19mb/s stream delivered, instead of whatever Comcraptic and all the others compress it down to to fit in their bandwidth.

We have Comcraptic, but I use a Tivo, which is nice cause I can hook an antenna up to it as well to get off air signals of the local stations. Price wise it doesn't really save me any money. Unless you have to positively be with the current season of a lot of the cable stuff I would look at how to get those channels delivered alternatively... which some of the niche stuff is hard. I haven't tried much of it yet (although it is on my list of things to do) if you could somehow DVR or capture those episodes. For example if HGTV streams or otherwise makes them available and you could save the episode with Download Helper, then do a conversion to an m4v file via handbrake, I believe there is software that will convert that m4v file on the fly to your tivo. Complicated? Yeah, it just depends on how much you want to save money. Me I probably won't dump Comcraptic any time soon cause I watch too much live sports.

As far as internet goes, I don't know if that Clear is in your part of the metro, but it looks interesting, although they need to up their speeds a bit before I seriously look at them.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:

I do. I've got comcast for internet and a netflix subscription. I've got a tiny computer under my TV with a wifi connection to the network, a usb remote control and a usb TV tuner. I use it (with win7 media center) as a DVR, to stream "watch instantly" Netflix selections, and also occasionally with Hulu. Total monthly outlay is $45 for internet, $9 for netflix.
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Comcast Basic-Basic-Basic service + internet. The only reason we have basic service (local channels only) is that its cheaper to have it then not to. We have a DVR that we got somewhere, maybe Ultimate, about 6 years ago. Which work great, it also work with an antenna.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:

I do. I've got comcast for internet and a netflix subscription. I've got a tiny computer under my TV with a wifi connection to the network, a usb remote control and a usb TV tuner. I use it (with win7 media center) as a DVR, to stream "watch instantly" Netflix selections, and also occasionally with Hulu. Total monthly outlay is $45 for internet, $9 for netflix.

So you use the computer as the DVR? Does it have a tv tuner card? What's the difference between Home version and Media Center version?

Anyone out there use Linux in the tv setup?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: