MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rewards Points, GPS Recommendation, etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Rewards Points, GPS Recommendation, etc. Reply with quote

I am currently considering getting a new GPS, and have a few questions for those more experienced with different models and where you can buy them from.

I have about $250 saved up in Wells Fargo Rewards points that I'd like to go towards this purchase. The places where I can redeem those points are limited somewhat, but it does appear I can have it go towards an amazon.com or Best Buy gift card. I'm thinking the Amazon gift card might be the best option, because Best Buy's selection of GPS's seems very limited. If anyone disagrees, please let me know.

Which brings me to which GPS to buy. I've been using a 60CSX, which I like, except for occasional issues with the power button. (That's a real problem at times, since it occasionally decides it doesn't want to turn on, but it seems to resolve itself after a while.) When I bought it, I spent $100 on street maps, and I really like having those on my unit. I don't like the 1,000 waypoint limit, and would like to have more. I do use GSAK to get the difficulty, terrain, and first 10 characters of hints on my GPS. If I want more details, like previous logs, I have to go to my iPhone. I'm not crazy about having to do that, and it would be nice to be able to view more details of geocaches, especially previous logs, right on my GPS unit. I do like the accuracy of the 60CSX.

Looking at the Garmin website, it looks like the 62st is the top-of-the line model that would be most similar to my current unit. I assume the waypoint limit is higher on this unit, although I'm having trouble finding the exact number. I also assume I could keep the same street maps that I already have on my 60CSX and wouldn't have to pay for more. Regarding previous logs, the Garmin website says "GPSMAP 62st stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions, which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs!" I notice that it doesn't mention previous logs, so I'm thinking I may not able to look at previous logs on a 62st.

The other option is to switch units completely to something like an Oregon 450 or 550. But I don't really know anything about these units. From what I've heard, I believe the waypoint limit is higher, and I can get full descriptions and previous logs on geocaches, which would be handy. I worry that the unit may not be as accurate as the 60 and 62 series. I also worry I may not have the ability to get street maps, or might have to pay an additional $100 for those. I'm not sure if that's at all accurate.

Sorry for the really long post. I don't know if anybody read all the way through it, but if you did, and you have thoughts about what I should do, I'd be really interested in knowing what people think.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can answer some of your questions. My first GPSr was the 60scx and my new unit is the 62s - the st has topo which I didn't want. The 62s gives you the last five logs and cache details just like the Oregon. You can have 2000 geocaches/waypoints loaded (the top line Oregon has 5000) With the SD card you can have unlimited waypoints just like the 60scx. The only thing the 62 doesn't do that I wish it did was Wherigo's.

Oh, and if you are taking about the paid Garmin street maps, they are only good on one unit and can not be transferred to any unit.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with.

-TWS
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with the 60CSX and now use the 450T. I like the 450t because now I can go paperless. The 450T comes with a map. The 550 adds a camera and nothing more. If your map is on the SD card you can use that card on the 450.

I bought mine at Amazon.com because of better prices and no sales tax. You might get free shipping with this purchase. Good luck and have fun with it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
I will see if I can answer some of your questions. My first GPSr was the 60scx and my new unit is the 62s - the st has topo which I didn't want. The 62s gives you the last five logs and cache details just like the Oregon. You can have 2000 geocaches/waypoints loaded (the top line Oregon has 5000) With the SD card you can have unlimited waypoints just like the 60scx. The only thing the 62 doesn't do that I wish it did was Wherigo's.

Oh, and if you are taking about the paid Garmin street maps, they are only good on one unit and can not be transferred to any unit.

-TWS

It is my understanding that no matter how big your SD card is, the 60 models will only hold 1000 waypoints. Only map tiles are stored on the memory card.

As for transferring maps, I don't think you can do it on your own. But I do think that if you can produce your previous unit, and with a call to Garmin support, that you can transfer maps. I don't remember if there was a fee or not. At least back in 2008 I know they'd do it. I have no idea what the licensing is on the newer mapsets.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
timewellspent wrote:

-TWS

It is my understanding that no matter how big your SD card is, the 60 models will only hold 1000 waypoints. Only map tiles are stored on the memory card.

As for transferring maps, I don't think you can do it on your own. But I do think that if you can produce your previous unit, and with a call to Garmin support, that you can transfer maps. I don't remember if there was a fee or not. At least back in 2008 I know they'd do it. I have no idea what the licensing is on the newer mapsets.

I meant to say you can load as many POI's to the SD card as you want (based on the size of the card). I used to load all my finds as POI's to the SD card on my 60 and I know others that have loaded all unfound MN caches as POI's. Doing this doesn't let you use the geocaching feature thou.

As far as the maps, I had always heard they wouldn't transfer since once it is on your old GPSr there is no way to prove you have removed the maps to put onto the new one. Now I wish I would have looked more into it since you were able to do this. I forked over the money to be the new map set.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
As far as the maps, I had always heard they wouldn't transfer since once it is on your old GPSr there is no way to prove you have removed the maps to put onto the new one. Now I wish I would have looked more into it since you were able to do this. I forked over the money to be the new map set.

I remember now.. I sent my old unit in. They did the transfer to a new(er) unit. Again, not sure if they'd do it again today.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses, everybody. It sounds like the 62s or the 450T might be the way to go. I don't care if I have a camera on my GPS, and I don't really care about wherigos, since there are so few of them and I can just use PiGo if I do want to do one. I'm maybe slightly inclined toward the 450T based on your comments, because it sounds like a PITA to load more than 1,000 waypoints onto the 62s and to transfer the street maps from the 60CSX. Although, on the other hand, it sounds like those are challenges that can be overcome. One follow up question:

Rustynails wrote:
The 450T comes with a map.

Do you mean street maps (as opposed to topo or other kinds of maps)? How easy to use are the street maps? Are they for every state?
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, on amazon.com, a 62s is $383.45, and a 450T is $556.98. That might swing my preference back to the 62s.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Thank you for the responses, everybody. It sounds like the 62s or the 450T might be the way to go. I don't care if I have a camera on my GPS, and I don't really care about wherigos, since there are so few of them and I can just use PiGo if I do want to do one. I'm maybe slightly inclined toward the 450T based on your comments, because it sounds like a PITA to load more than 1,000 waypoints onto the 62s and to transfer the street maps from the 60CSX. Although, on the other hand, it sounds like those are challenges that can be overcome. One follow up question:

Rustynails wrote:
The 450T comes with a map.

Do you mean street maps (as opposed to topo or other kinds of maps)? How easy to use are the street maps? Are they for every state?

Both, topo and street. Yes other states Smile
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:

Any idea why one 450t retails for $422.88 on amazon while a different one goes for $556.98? The titles suggest one doesn't have topo maps, but the descriptions for both of them suggest they both do.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is a 78.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

Any idea why one 450t retails for $422.88 on amazon while a different one goes for $556.98? The titles suggest one doesn't have topo maps, but the descriptions for both of them suggest they both do.

One is sold by Amazon themself ($422). The other($556) goes through a supplier. See the Sold by on the site. $422 with free shipping is the best deal.

Last edited by Rustynails on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 450/t and use the 60cx for a backup. IMHO, the 60cx has a faster chip than the 450/t, but the ease of use and capacity of the 450 more than makes up for it.

Oregon 550 is not a good idea because the camera is meh and you don't need it anyway.

In case you didn't know, you can load 5,000 caches on the 450/t. Wink This is the GREATEST FEATURE KNOWN TO MAN.

Not sure what I'd get if I were getting a new one now, as the 62s looked pretty slick when I saw one. If YOU go the Oregon route, though, the 450/t is a no-brainer, IMHO.

For a beginner cacher, I might suggest something cheaper (Oregon 350).
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
I'm maybe slightly inclined toward the 450T based on your comments, because it sounds like a PITA to load more than 1,000 waypoints onto the 62s and to transfer the street maps from the 60CSX. Although, on the other hand, it sounds like those are challenges that can be

62s holds 2000 not 1000 like the 60csx.

Just to confirm the 62s comes with base maps, but if you want autorouting, then you need to purchase the maps or there are some "free" sites too, but not sure how good they are.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Just to confirm the 62s comes with base maps, but if you want autorouting, then you need to purchase the maps or there are some "free" sites too, but not sure how good they are.

What do you mean by base maps? Does that include every street? I know without the street maps, the 60CSX includes only major highways. I could live without the auto-routing, but I do like having every street.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: