MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mn DNR app for lake entrie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Mn DNR app for lake entrie Reply with quote

Saw this on the Pioneer Press site and thought it was pretty neat and I'd have to share it. I wonder if they'll put one out that will show where all the public access land is next? Of course, I'm sure some have that app already (King Boreas's number).
Anyways, this looks like an interesting app.
http://blogs.twincities.com/yourtechweblog/2011/03/dnr-apps-let-you-find-lakes-and-boat-public-access.html
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't work with Android 1.5, so you'll have to upgrade to 2.0. Once I did that, I downloaded the app, and it is pretty sweet!
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear that it works for you and is a good app. I have a Blackberry so of course no app..
I really like the way the Mn DNR has been pushing different mapping and applications. I'm still looking for a state forest kml file to find boundaries in Google Earth.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kc9gbo wrote:
I'm still looking for a state forest kml file to find boundaries in Google Earth.

http://mngca.org/node/205
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DNR also has a Garmin app so you can download point files and shapefiles directly into a Garmin GPS. I don't know how well it works for loading a file onto Google Earth or ArcGIS Explorer and converting it to something you can download onto another GPS, though.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html

The DNRs downloadable data is located here:

http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/data_catalog.html
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to look at the webpages for the data and downloaded what I was hoping would be a break down of the areas of forest. Unfortuneatly, they do like they do with every other map and that is paint the southeast corner with a broad brush as Richard Dorer forest. What I was hoping to find was specific areas and be able to grab coords to get there. The interactive map page shows promise if I can grab the exact coords somehow. I'll figure this out yet...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: