MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flooding
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4nhand
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Lilydale Park closed Reply with quote

I was working in Lilydale Park yesterday and crews closed the road at 10 am. I hope all the caches down there are flood proof. At 10 am, the water was about 3 ft from spilling over onto the road. It had risen another foot by 10 pm.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

41 and 101 are closed where they cross the river.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
Or more pedantically, where the go under the river:).
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
Or more pedantically, where the go under the river:).

This is a great forum. I now know (at least temporarily) what pedantically means. I'm going to try to use it in dinner conversation tonight.

I've got an ammo can at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi. It's not chained to anything, but it is inside a Keebler elves house. I wonder if I'll need to update the coords on the container when things dry out.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the coords will take you to loiusiana.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just disabled one of my caches in Jackson as it's now underwater was well. It's that time of year again.
roylake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have disabled and pulled my caches, the unfrozen ones anyway, from the Grand Forks/East Grand Forks Greenway. The Red River of the North is going to have another record flood this year.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have officially closed part of HWY 212 and part of HWY 67 over in my neck of th woods. This might affect some of you trying to get the Upper Sioux State Park cache. You can still get there but this makes it a lot more difficult.

The present water level is at 18.9' (14.0' is flood stage) in Monte. They are now predicting it to rise to around 20' or so sometime around Thursday morning. Just thought I would throw this out there for those of you that might head this way to get some of the stste park caches.

You will also have some trouble at Lac Qui Parle State Park as the two locations of the stages of their cache are both under water now. I would check with the park office. They might have temporarily moved the cache or just pulled the cache till the water goes down.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
They have officially closed part of HWY 212 and part of HWY 67 over in my neck of th woods. This might affect some of you trying to get the Upper Sioux State Park cache. You can still get there but this makes it a lot more difficult.

You will also have some trouble at Lac Qui Parle State Park as the two locations of the stages of their cache are both under water now. I would check with the park office. They might have temporarily moved the cache or just pulled the cache till the water goes down.

I was just planning a trip to Fargo, by way of a few state parks, and thought maybe I should not do those exact 2 because I suspected there may be flooding problems... Thanks for proving me right Smile

I am, however, planning Sibley, Monson Lake, and Big Stone Lake. Any issues at any of those parks I should be aware of? I see Hwy 12 into Ortonville is closed, and the detour doesn't seem horrible... hoping I don't run into anything else unexpected...
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwerty,

Hwy 12 just east of Ortonville is just some low areas that typically flood. My recommendation would be to either come from the north into Ortonville or to come from the Willmar direction and take Hwy 12 to the 4 way stop a few miles west of danvers. Then you can either go north or go south to Appleton and then take Hwy 7 from there.

You could come into Monte on Hwy 7, but I'm not sure if Hwy 7 NW out of town will be open as that area of town is normally under water when it gets this high. Normally when the water gets this high about the only way to get across the river in Monte is by coming into town on Hwy 7 from the east and taking Hwy 212 west out of town.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle,

That was pretty much my plan, just wanted to make sure it'd work Smile Thanks for the confirmation!
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just disabled 8 of my caches in the Fargo Moorhead area yesterday. The big nasty RED is at moderate flood stage and when we go 20 feet over flood stage-my caches have to hold their breath.
Good news is there are still some caches in the area to do!
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning a walk today down to the Minnesota River valley to replace two of my caches that I had rescued from spring flooding. Ironically I read potential flooding again in this morning's paper: http://www.startribune.com/local/124167778.html

This also: THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHANHASSEN HAS ISSUED A * FLOOD WATCH FOR THE MINNESOTA RIVER AT SHAKOPEE * FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON TO LATE SATURDAY NIGHT. * MINOR FLOODING IS POSSIBLE. * FLOOD STAGE IS 708.0 FEET. * FORECAST...FLOOD STAGE MAY BE REACHED BY WEDNESDAY EARLY AFTERNOON.

Doesn't seem like if my caches were already replaced they would be worth going after, but since I haven't replaced them yet, I'm thinking why poke the tiger.
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted notes tonight on a bunch of disabled caches that were disabled for flooding reasons. Flooding is a great reason to disable a cache, and I do understand that in some cases the flooding has continued beyond the normal 3 month window.

In those cases all I ask is that you post a note to the cache page indicating that the flooding is continuing and that you're monitoring the situation. This is the only way I can tell a maintained cache apart from a forgotten cache as it's pretty hard for me to know which rivers, and in which locations, are still at flood stage and which ones aren't.

One of you, who's very keen to when the 3 month window comes up, pre-posted notes on your cache pages. Thanks!
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MN river in Monte/Granite Falls has been hovering right around flood stage for the past 3 months. Just so everyone knows this would also include the LQP state park cache. I have been trying to monitor mine in this area. If it is just at flood stage the caches should be OK.

After the 3-4 inches of rain we got last week the river is up again. I also saw in the local paper that they are opening up the dam at LQP lake because the water level there is up over a foot more than where they would like to see the water level. This being said the water level around here will be up for a good week or so yet.

Hope this helps anyone headed out to the west central part of the state for caching trips this holiday weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: