MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN Geocache counter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liberty!
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: MN Geocache counter Reply with quote

I would really like to see a counter with the number of MN caches on the main page Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MN Geocache counter Reply with quote

Liberty! wrote:
I would really like to see a counter with the number of MN caches on the main page Very Happy

That's something we can't do - we don't have access to that number and it's a number that is continually changing.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MN Geocache counter Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Liberty! wrote:

That's something we can't do - we don't have access to that number and it's a number that is continually changing.

I could be mistaken, but if you go to this page:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=24
...and look at the number next to "Total Records," isn't that the number of geocaches in Minnesota? At the moment, the number is at 16,736. The newest is a KB event in June and the oldest is Alvin's Phone Line, which makes me think that is indeed every cache in Minnesota. I certainly couldn't do it, but I'm sure some intrepid computer programmer / geocacher could put a little counter on the main MnGCA page that links to what that number currently is.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: MN Geocache counter Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Liberty! wrote:

...and look at the number next to "Total Records," isn't that the number of geocaches in Minnesota? At the moment, the number is at 16,736. The newest is a KB event in June and the oldest is Alvin's Phone Line, which makes me think that is indeed every cache in Minnesota. I certainly couldn't do it, but I'm sure some intrepid computer programmer / geocacher could put a little counter on the main MnGCA page that links to what that number currently is.

I believe it violates Groundspeaks Terms of Use or Service to scrape the number from their page.

We do have an agreement with Groundspeak to use some data, I'd have to see if it covers that type of use.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MN Geocache counter Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
sparkyfry wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Liberty! wrote:

I believe it violates Groundspeaks Terms of Use or Service to scrape the number from their page.

We do have an agreement with Groundspeak to use some data, I'd have to see if it covers that type of use.

I had the same thoughts as PH...it certainly is "doable" as indicated above, but that (I beleive) would violate the Terms of Service that Groundspeak has in regards to data gathering...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll soon have an API, hopefully in the form of web service, that we can use.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
We'll soon have an API, hopefully in the form of web service, that we can use.

Like an actual RESTfull API from groupspeak?? That would rock (as a web hacker myself)
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the data agreement is the one made in reference to the game development agreement, I believe we are able to legally scrape anything from gc.com.

--Checking--

The data license agreement that I signed a few years back as President should permit this; there is no where in the agreement that would suggest the MnGCA cannot scrape data from geocaching.com.

In short-- there isn't any reason we can't legally do this.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
If the data agreement is the one made in reference to the game development agreement, I believe we are able to legally scrape anything from gc.com.

--Checking--

The data license agreement that I signed a few years back as President should permit this; there is no where in the agreement that would suggest the MnGCA cannot scrape data from geocaching.com.

In short-- there isn't any reason we can't legally do this.

That's the one I was thinking of.

Can you email it to me for my reference (so I don't have to search for it down the road).

I'll add this task to my to-do list.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be any different than the "scraping" that the Wisconsin Geocaching Association does for their recent logs module. That is something that I would like to see here as it is fun to see where folks are caching on a rainy or snowy day and I can't get out. Plus, it great fun reading logs also!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kc9gbo wrote:
I don't think it would be any different than the "scraping" that the Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Scraping without an agreement with Groundspeak could end you with anything between a slap on the wrist to a lawsuit... That's why I wanted to ensure we had an agreement that would allow us to do what we're looking for. I've seen the agreement that Lucid mentions although it's been a few years so I wasn't sure what it specifically allowed us to do...
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand that. That's why the "" as I wasn't sure how things were called out in the agreements.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case my gchat pm wasn't received, an email search for [GEO ~WZS-305183] will yield the document.

The agreement specifically allows us to extrapolate information from GPX files, but does not mention scraping. The information can be obtained in both ways, but scraping would make it easier.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reviewing the agreement, I don't believe it covers scraping either.

To obtain it through GPX files would probably be ok (I'd have to really read it and how it relates to "the game"), but at this point it's not worth the work that would be required to maintain the GPX files for a counter.

Depending on any game development that may still occur, we may end up with the number of active caches as a byproduct of the game coding, although the last game idea wouldn't have required the loading of all caches in the state, only of ones that were touched by the game. Maintaining a full list of caches in the state is a bit of a pain (just to keep the PQs flowing right).
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mn. is pondering a game? If so I'd like to see something along the lines of the lonely cache game Wis. uses, although maybe I'm just partial to it.
Sorry if I keep refering to the Wis. site but I do see some things there that I like and would enjoy in Mn. also, especially since I live so close to there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: