MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uploading Photos to GC.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Uploading Photos to GC.com Reply with quote

Is anybody else having problems uploading images to GC.com I need them for the requirement s to log a cache. Every time I try I get an error message from them.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading Photos to GC.com Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
Is anybody else having problems uploading images to GC.com I need them for the requirement s to log a cache. Every time I try I get an error message from them.

I haven't tried recently, but no cache can require pictures any longer as I understand the new guidelines. AFAIK, the only thing a cache can require is the user to sign the log book. But that's a topic for another discussion I suppose. Wink
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done one recently, but when I last did the upload would fail if the picture was too large. When I manually resized it to say, 1024x768 it uploaded OK.

It would be nice if the error message said something like "sorry, that image is too large".
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75863-report-a-problem/suggestions/1205019-problems-uploading-photos

The above link has the current status on the problem in the ground speak feedback forum. If you apply some of your votes to this issue it may bump the issue up in their priority to resolve it.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't tried recently, but no cache can require pictures any longer as I understand the new guidelines. AFAIK, the only thing a cache can require is the user to sign the log book. But that's a topic for another discussion I suppose.

What about virtauls??
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
Quote:
I haven't tried recently, but no cache can require pictures any longer as I understand the new guidelines. AFAIK, the only thing a cache can require is the user to sign the log book. But that's a topic for another discussion I suppose.

What about virtauls??

My understanding, and Fruitcake, SJ or anyone else can correct me, is that no cache can require photos any longer. In fact, no cache can require anything beyond signing the log book. The exception is earth caches can require users to answer questions via email. I know earth caches had to make photos optional. I can't say for sure about virtuals, but I would assume the same. I assume the issue was two fold. One groundspeak didn't want to have to deal with the added over head of people uploading photos and 2 not everyone carries a camera. Yes, I know even in the age of cell phones, not everyone has a camera phone. I think this changed 6 months ago or so?, about the same time as the ALR change as I recall.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
fireman121 wrote:
Quote:

What about virtauls??

My understanding, and Fruitcake, SJ or anyone else can correct me, is that no cache can require photos any longer.

I honestly don't know the answer to that one.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
fireman121 wrote:
Quote:

What about virtauls??

My understanding, and Fruitcake, SJ or anyone else can correct me, is that no cache can require photos any longer.

I honestly don't know the answer to that one.

Webcams. Not really a photo, but close enough.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mean web cams and a cahe requiring a photo of me in front of an object. In both cases there is no log to sign and every time I log the cache my log is deleted.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
I did mean web cams and a cahe requiring a photo of me in front of an object. In both cases there is no log to sign and every time I log the cache my log is deleted.

A webcam cache would require the photo.

A virtual I'm not sure of.

No other cache that comes to mind (I'd welcome anyone to correct me if I'm wrong) should require a photo.

Which cache are we talking about?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem uploading photos for the 6 webcams I did this last weekend.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
My understanding, and Fruitcake, SJ or anyone else can correct me, is that no cache can require photos any longer. In fact, no cache can require anything beyond signing the log book. The exception is earth caches can require users to answer questions via email. I know earth caches had to make photos optional. I can't say for sure about virtuals, but I would assume the same. I assume the issue was two fold. One groundspeak didn't want to have to deal with the added over head of people uploading photos and 2 not everyone carries a camera. Yes, I know even in the age of cell phones, not everyone has a camera phone. I think this changed 6 months ago or so?, about the same time as the ALR change as I recall.

I'm not sure about virtuals either since I never had to review any. I would assume though that since earth caches aren't allowed to require photos, virtuals can't either.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

I'm not sure about virtuals either since I never had to review any. I would assume though that since earth caches aren't allowed to require photos, virtuals can't either.

Earthcaches are governed by Earthcache.org. I am not saying you're wrong, but I am not saying you're right either. Wink
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, tonight I haven't read thoroughly the cache guidelines, but did scan them, I believe the only place ALR is mentioned is under "Logging of physical caches", not under "Virtuals".

Virtuals are listed under the "Grandfathered" section. Since ALR is NOT mentioned here, and the guidelines specify these caches are GRANDFATHERED, I would read that they are in fact grandfathered under their previous requirements.

It seems Groundspeak words their guidelines quite carefully, and I would think they would have wrote it in if they did not want pictures to be a logging requirement for virtuals.

(Thread must be getting off topic if I am writing on the tech talk page.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: