MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New online mapping/GPS site - useful to geocachers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recurry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: New online mapping/GPS site - useful to geocachers? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been developing a Bing maps powered system for people that want to keep notes about their outdoor adventures (started out doing this for hunters, fishermen, etc.) and a few of the folks who have been helping us with a beta test have suggested that it might have some value to people that are doing a lot of geocaching.

We started out developing the system for people who do a lot of hunting and fishing, but at the end of the day it's all about logging POIs, tracks, and so on, and being able to search for things, keep journals, etc. so I'm just wondering if this is something that might morph into a tool for people that are doing a lot of geocaching....

At any rate, it's pretty powerful - not a hack someone threw together over the weekend - and I'm curious if some of you folks that do a lot with GPS and geocaching might want to take a look and think about whether or not there is some possibility to develop something useful for the geocaching community - as opposed to just the hunting and fishing crowd.

If you get a chance to take a look, the site is called "Mobwana" and is located at http://www.mobwana.com - If you don't want to bother creating an account there, just PM me on here and I'll send you a test account - I just don't like to post test accounts on the 'net because of the problems with spammers and so on...

I'd really be curious as to what you might think in terms of whether or not this has potential for geocaching - it's at an early stage right now, but we're really flexible as to what we can develop, so if you have some thoughts I'd really like to hear them...

EDIT: I just realized it probably makes more sense to just look at the tutorials rather than firing up the software, here's a link to those, which gives you a quick idea of what I'm building and how it works:

http://www.mobwana.com/index.php/Mobwana/articles.html

Thanks in advance,

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: