MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I going crazy????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

Well, maybe, but I noticed today that, when given a search list of caches, you can click on "D", "T", "Placed", and "Last Found" to sort the columns from most recent to oldest or highest to lowest. Its almost like a quick makeshift PQ search. Is this a new feature or have I just been aloof for the past 4 years?
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
Well, maybe, but I noticed today that, when given a search list of caches, you can click on "D", "T", "Placed", and "Last Found" to sort the columns from most recent to oldest or highest to lowest. Its almost like a quick makeshift PQ search. Is this a new feature or have I just been aloof for the past 4 years?

I noticed it when I clicked on the favorite icon and it listed them in order. Pretty cool. Mr. Little Guy's House has 25 votes and the lead for MN.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Bunganator wrote:

I noticed it when I clicked on the favorite icon and it listed them in order. Pretty cool. Mr. Little Guy's House has 25 votes and the lead for MN.

A very nice cache but hardly in my top 100. Oh well.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This exposes a major flaw in the rating system.. not that I have any answers that are any better. But of all the caches I've found, Beverly is tops with 70-something Liked It ratings.

I Liked Beveraly simply because of it's historical value. But it is hardly in my top 100 in terms of coolness after having REMOVED date published from my personal grading system. I suppose everyone else is doing the same but it is not doing any favors in terms of looking for REAL cool caches.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
Bunganator wrote:

I wasn't saying cool to the fact that cache was in the lead, but that you could sort by the top favorites. I liked that cache and when you have 478 "votes" that doesn't make it top 100, it makes it into the top 478 for me Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
Bunganator wrote:

I wasn't saying cool to the fact that cache was in the lead, but that you could sort by the top favorites. I liked that cache and when you have 478 "votes" that doesn't make it top 100, it makes it into the top 478 for me Wink

Oh no, I wasn't judging you. Thank you all for pointing out the sort as I didn't know you could do that. My thoughts were a completely different about the rating system. I like it but I don't. Go figure.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
My thoughts were a completely different about the rating system. I like it but I don't. Go figure.

I know we are getting off subject, but I would have to agree. I could see if they limited your votes it might mean something. What do you think Bobcams 2,500 favorites are? Shocked
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:
My thoughts were a completely different about the rating system. I like it but I don't. Go figure.

I know we are getting off subject, but I would have to agree. I could see if they limited your votes it might mean something. What do you think Bobcams 2,500 favorites are? Shocked

I didn't think my 400 some odd votes were going to be enough. After having gone through every cache I've found, I laughed at myself when I couldn't come up with 100 TOP DOG caches to rate. I'll have to go through them again and lower my standard a bit. Wink
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
This exposes a major flaw in the rating system..

I like the new system and I'm hopeful that it will help increase the number of creative hides/containers, etc., but I agree with you.

I think it would be helpful if in addition to the favorites total, they put its percentage value as well, based on what percentage of finds resulted in a favorite vote. So if 5 finders out of 25 people favorited the cache, you'd see:
5 (20%).

This would provide more meaningful information, IMHO.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* the column sorting has been there prior to this release (probably for a long time) but I can't swear to it.

There are flaws in this system, but I think there are flaws in any of them. Some of the more awesome caches I've found in more spectacular remote places like the Black Hills have very low favorite ratings (or are as yet unrated), while other caches in populated areas have higher ratings, simply because they have been found by more people.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
I *think* the column sorting has been there prior to this release (probably for a long time) but I can't swear to it.

There are flaws in this system, but I think there are flaws in any of them. Some of the more awesome caches I've found in more spectacular remote places like the Black Hills have very low favorite ratings (or are as yet unrated), while other caches in populated areas have higher ratings, simply because they have been found by more people.

Don't get me wrong, I think the new rating system, if nothing else, is a step in the right direction. I like it but also recognize it's flaws. Maybe 1 for 25 instead of 1 for 10.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that 1 cache in 10 that is worth a "favorite vote" is absurd. Even worthwhile 1 in 25 frequently doesn't really match my experience. But really, any ratio is really only a problem for those that think they must use every vote that they have "earned".
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think a rating system is a step in the right system, but I feel a better system would be a rating box on all caches that would give anyone who finds it an opportunity to rate it on a five-point scale. Of course, this would be optional - I don't have to rate every movie I order from Netflix, but the option is there for every movie in their inventory.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Some of the more awesome caches I've found in more spectacular remote places like the Black Hills have very low favorite ratings (or are as yet unrated)

Seems like they shouldn't be unrated. I know at least one cacher who called them "Some of the more awesome caches I've found in more spectacular remote places".
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I going crazy???? Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:

Aha! You (and I) are NOT going crazy... or at least in your context. The sorting features ARE new: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=266013&view=findpost&p=4570596
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: