MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Be Careful
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Please Be Careful Reply with quote

We’ve all been there. Sitting at home caught up in our lives when the phone or PC dings to alert us to a new cache. Without giving it a thought, we jump to our feet and head for the door keying in coordinates as we go. Well, you’re not alone, and if you’re not careful, you might run into this, or worse this. Is that FTF really worth the risk? Please, be careful and never cache alone.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I ever realized the dangers of caching - thanks for bring this to our attention.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one will be on alert. I don't want to run into one of them in a dark park!
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a set up - ruderat wants all the FTF to himself so hes made up 2 geocaching boogiemen!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewwww. Really?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please, be careful and never cache alone.

Then I guess I'm done caching then. I would say 95% of my caching is/was done by myself. Crying or Very sad
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Quote:
Please, be careful and never cache alone.

Then I guess I'm done caching then. I would say 95% of my caching is/was done by myself. Crying or Very sad
If it reaches the point that you’re seeing pink bunnies, it’s probably time to stop anyway.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning on this one, I narrowly missed this dangerous encounter twice last week!!
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had NOOOOOO idea! I'm usually so up on these things. THANK YOU for the warning. I'll think twice from now on.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary! Very scary!! I'm not sure I can ever go caching again, even with a group. Wink

See you all at WNC tonight! Very Happy
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
Scary! Very scary!! I'm not sure I can ever go caching again, even with a group. Wink

See you all at WNC tonight! Very Happy

I would think you would want to be in a group if you run into them. The group could bombard them with puzzle clue requests and distract them from whatever nefarious plans were afoot.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I've seen one of these things, and they are scary...

I was opening a cache in some woods and it sneaked up behind me. I believe it was armed. It was below zero, and it was babbling something about forgetting a jacket. My guess is that it was homeless, as it didn't have a jacket, only had one glove on, and looked like it had killed some animal to drape over its head for warmth. I gave it a coin and it still didn't go away. Instead, it asked me for a pen to "sign a log."

I have no idea why it would want to sign a piece of wood on a frigid cold night, but I was just afraid it was going to KILL me, so I just tossed it a pen and ran away. I consider myself lucky to be sitting here alive to write this.

I'd suggest everyone stay inside for the rest of the year. I wouldn't recommend going for FTFs anymore. It's just not worth it. Wink
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight. A guy in a PINK fuzzy suit is warning us to be wary of a guy with a RAT on his head. AH.....OK thanks for that. Wink
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody, have some understanding! They're probably just as afraid of you as you are of them. Clearly, those outfits represent a desperate cry for help.
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rude Rat. "Everyone" should stay inside and not chase those FTFs. Who needs a FTF anyway. The risk of running into something like that out caching far out weighs the reward. Oh, have to run Sharknose is calling me on the other line...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: