MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chirp-enabled caches in Minnesota
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st11 wrote:
No I just held it against my ear and heard nothing

I even had two - one for each ear and still nothing.
sigilwig44 wrote:
ST11 wrote:
No I just held it against my ear and heard nothing Cool

I even had two - one for each ear and still nothing. Crying or Very sad

Well, chirps do not exactly "chirp" but they talk to your GPS (see compatible devices) and give you coordinates, once you've received the coordinates you GPS will chirp letting you know you got coords. Do you have a compatible device?
Even though I have a (what I think is anyway) a sense of humor I tend to take things seriously. I to am LOL.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
ST11 wrote:
No I just held it against my ear and heard nothing Cool

I even had two - one for each ear and still nothing. Crying or Very sad

Well, chirps do not exactly "chirp" but they talk to your GPS (see compatible devices) and give you coordinates, once you've received the coordinates you GPS will chirp letting you know you got coords. Do you have a compatible device?

I guess Speedy is losing his edge. Wink
Team MN Moose
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it really "deaf-friendly" if they had the proper equipment to receive the so-called "chirp"??? any other option how the user could be notified???
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take for the chirp chip to talk to the gps unit? I have a colorado that has the update on it and wound up by a chirp cache in the cities and nothing happened. I got to ground zero (by the MOA) and waited and no signal. Is there something I have to do to get it to talk?
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the Colorado Ron, but like our Oregon, I am sure there is someplace in the setup to turn on or enable the chirp feature. You do not want it on all the time as it is a battery hog, only turn it on when you plan on doing a chirp cache. On the Oregon it is in in setup-Geocaches-chirp searching- which is off by default. Turn it on. The one at the Mall of America for us was strong, it took under a minute to receive the next waypoint and hint, which also was the final. 2 stage.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be my unit then. I know where the button to turn on the chirp finder is and turned it on and then stood at ground zero for a couple of minutes and did not get any signals. Does the oregon beep or something to let you know it got it or do you hve to check the Chirp Details screen?

Thanks

Ron
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the iPod Touch able to recieve chirps somehow?
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
Not sure about the Colorado Ron, but like our Oregon, I am sure there is someplace in the setup to turn on or enable the chirp feature. You do not want it on all the time as it is a battery hog, only turn it on when you plan on doing a chirp cache.

That's why my batteries have been wearing down so quickly. I better turn that off!
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
Is the iPod Touch able to recieve chirps somehow?
I checked, I had an ipod touch before an oregon and it can't. Besides they don't have GPS capability unless you're in Wi-Fi.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
Not sure about the Colorado Ron, but like our Oregon, I am sure there is someplace in the setup to turn on or enable the chirp feature. You do not want it on all the time as it is a battery hog, only turn it on when you plan on doing a chirp cache. On the Oregon it is in in setup-Geocaches-chirp searching- which is off by default. Turn it on. The one at the Mall of America for us was strong, it took under a minute to receive the next waypoint and hint, which also was the final. 2 stage.

You'll also want to have the "heart monitor" turned off, at least on my Dakota that was required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: